Turn on AC remotely using smartphone/Web interface - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-02-2014, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Turn on AC remotely using smartphone/Web interface

I'd like to be able to turn on my window AC remotely, so my apartment isn't 95° when I walk in.

It's a Frigidaire FAH106R1T window AC with an IR remote.

I need to control an IR emitter. Ability to turn on power remotely using something like Wemo won't do it, will just supply power to the AC, won't start automatically when it gets power.

I was hoping a Global Cache iTach Flex IP-to-IR gateway would do it... I set it up and am able to control the AC using iRule on my iPad.

However it appears the IR codes live in the iPad, which sends them over wifi to the iTach Flex IP-to-IR gateway, which then controls the AC.

So that won't work since the iRule smartphone needs to be on the local LAN.

I don't see any way to set up a Web interface to the iRule functionality, or a Web gateway to the iTach Flex that can send IR commands AFAIK.

Any simple solution to connect an IR emitter to a Web/smartphone interface? Seems so simple it's got to exist?

(I guess I might look into 1) connect smartphone to local LAN using VPN and then 2) iRule to turn on the AC. But seems time-consuming and kludgey)

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-03-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You could try an IR transmitter that includes a cloud service such as Logitech Harmony Hub.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-03-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Am looking at the manual and not sure I see how that would work - http://www.logitech.com/assets/50381...user-guide.pdf

The picture I have is the Hub works similar to iRule and iTach Flex: phone app -> wifi -> Hub -> IR -> device

If I'm at my office, can I send a command to the Hub through the cloud? At first glance it looks like it only downloads setup from the cloud.

Is there a way to point the phone app at the Hub on my home LAN through the firewall? Not seeing that natively supported, although I guess I could set up that VPN tunnel to put my phone on the home LAN.

I gave that a shot with the iRule app and it seems to work but it's a little kludgey.

Set up VPN service on Asus router running TomatoUSB - http://tomatousb.org/tut:configuring-a-pptp-vpn .
Set up VPN connection on iOS device or Android.

Then when I'm ready to turn on the AC

1) connect to VPN tunnel (2 clicks on iOS, 5 clicks on Android)
2) go into iRule. hit AC button
3) disconnect VPN

Maybe I could do something similar with the Harmony setup. Not sure if that wins over the iRule app on the iPad, though. Would be nice if it was one click.

Last edited by crowsnest; 07-03-2014 at 09:17 PM. Reason: missed step
post #4 of 9 Old 07-04-2014, 02:58 PM

Oh ok sorry I did not know that the logitech hub required you to be on the same LAN as the device. I guess there is not that much demand for controlling IR devices from other locations.

So VPN seems to be your best bet unless you want to do port forwarding with some kind of IP filter such as the ranges for your office and cell provider to give it minimal security. Otherwise if you dig into the raw protocols you should be able to set up tasker to automate connecting to the VPN, sending the command, and disconnecting (on rooted android). You could even use a geofence and schedule so that it happens automatically when you leave work.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-05-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Tasker is a great idea, forgot about that.

Got it to 1 click on the home screen using a Tasker task icon.

1. Launch App - VPN
2. Run Shell - input tap 130 220 (choose VPN connection)
3. Run Shell - input tap 570 660 (hit "Connect")
4. Wait 5 seconds for VPN handshake
5. Launch App - iRule
6. Run Shell - input tap 105 205 - open iRule panel
7. Run Shell - input tap 510 350 - hit AC button

I see a few Raspberry Pi projects to control devices via IR from a Web server - http://www.stavros.io/posts/how-turn...emote-control/

but yeah, apparently not that much demand.

If this works reliably it's pretty much want I want. Could prob do same with Logitech Harmony app, script to launch VPN, open Harmony app, click the right buttons.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-05-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest View Post
Tasker is a great idea, forgot about that.

Got it to 1 click on the home screen using a Tasker task icon.

1. Launch App - VPN
2. Run Shell - input tap 130 220 (choose VPN connection)
3. Run Shell - input tap 570 660 (hit "Connect")
4. Wait 5 seconds for VPN handshake
5. Launch App - iRule
6. Run Shell - input tap 105 205 - open iRule panel
7. Run Shell - input tap 510 350 - hit AC button

I see a few Raspberry Pi projects to control devices via IR from a Web server - http://www.stavros.io/posts/how-turn...emote-control/

but yeah, apparently not that much demand.

If this works reliably it's pretty much want I want. Could prob do same with Logitech Harmony app, script to launch VPN, open Harmony app, click the right buttons.
Nice. Instead of using irule you could send the TCP command directly to the itach. Also there may be a more elegant way to launch the VPN and wait for connection using a tasker plugin. But if it works, ...
post #7 of 9 Old 07-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Tado when it launches does exactly that.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old 07-06-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1324 View Post
Nice. Instead of using irule you could send the TCP command directly to the itach. Also there may be a more elegant way to launch the VPN and wait for connection using a tasker plugin. But if it works, ...
You mean write an app to send to iTach using their API? probably more work than I want to do, don't have an SDK for Android.

If anybody knows a Tasker plugin LMK, but I'm just using the built-in PPTP VPN tunnel.

I sort of think the iTach should have a basic built-in Web app to send codes, and/or a demo app.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-06-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest View Post
You mean write an app to send to iTach using their API? probably more work than I want to do, don't have an SDK for Android.

If anybody knows a Tasker plugin LMK, but I'm just using the built-in PPTP VPN tunnel.

I sort of think the iTach should have a basic built-in Web app to send codes, and/or a demo app.
No I believe you can send TCP commands from tasker using either a plugin like send/expect or through shell.
Reply Home Automation

Tags
Irule , itach , remote access