Home Automation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-16-2014, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Home Automation

Guys I just need some advice before it jump in too far in my planning. With HA system needing to be on a network, What are some of the best security practices being used at this time that are not as obvious as securing you network. I thought I had read somewhere that the a gentleman built one that was offline but still able to automate. Im not looking for software as much as I am looking into methods that are in use or have been used and that work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-17-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

no input at all
post #3 of 4 Old 07-17-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First, not all HA systems have to be on a network, and the certainly don't have to be on an Internet-connected network. It really depends on what HA system you're thinking about using. For instance, you could do a lot with an Elk-based system without any IP-based network at all. Or you could do a really complex IP-based network, but put it on an isolated network without Internet access. Or a separate network with a locked-down firewall between the HA network and your home network.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-13-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
First, not all HA systems have to be on a network, and the certainly don't have to be on an Internet-connected network. It really depends on what HA system you're thinking about using. For instance, you could do a lot with an Elk-based system without any IP-based network at all. Or you could do a really complex IP-based network, but put it on an isolated network without Internet access. Or a separate network with a locked-down firewall between the HA network and your home network.
with all the hack going on in cyber , I want to have protection but a the same time have remote access in to my home. I also want to do a lot of this myself in order to cut cost down a bit
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page