Lutron Thermostat and Multi Zone controller. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-27-2014, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Lutron Thermostat and Multi Zone controller.

I posted this in the Radio Ra2 thread. However, its own thread might be more appropriate. I have an issue with an antiquated HVAC control system and damper control . According to the products specs for the Lutron LR-HWLV-HVAC TouchPRO Wireless Thermostat, it supports multi zone damper control. What I cannot find is 1) what brand zone controller Aprilaire, Jackson's or another one ? 2) How does the zone control wire into the Lutron HVAC control system? Cannot find mention in any of the resource docs, but marketing says it should work.

Really need this to work, as current thermostat system is 30 years old and without a wireless option, will need to rewire it all!

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I use a TouchPro with my zoned HVAC system, and the TouchPro simply wires up to a Honeywell HZ322 zone controller just like any other thermostat. There isn't any special zone control wiring from the TouchPro to the zone controller. Should work with any standard zone controller, not just Honeywell.

-D
post #3 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMILANI View Post
I use a TouchPro with my zoned HVAC system, and the TouchPro simply wires up to a Honeywell HZ322 zone controller just like any other thermostat. There isn't any special zone control wiring from the TouchPro to the zone controller. Should work with any standard zone controller, not just Honeywell.

-D
The wiring part isn't my issue. It's the wireless part that I don't understand how it works. Below I have attached a link to the marketing materials. On page 5, Lutron suggests that with the Lutron HVAC controller, you don't need to wire the thermostat to the controller, you can use their Clear Connect function. What I am trying to figure out is, how do I introduce a zone controller into the scenario on page five, using all the same Lutron hardware?

http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocum...y/367-2020.pdf

I am starting to believe I need a Lutron HVAC controller for each zone, which is linked to three separate touch pro units.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
First of all, only the seeTemp wall controls are compatible with the HVAC Controller from Lutron. You mentioned the TouchPro thermostats, and these are NOT compatible with the HVAC Controller. The TouchPros wire up just like a regular old thermostat, and the wireless, ClearConnect part of it is only for temperature set point, fan on/off and feedback, not for connecting to the furnace or HVAC equipment. If you want to have wireless thermostats like the seeTemp, you will also need wireless temp sensors, and as you suggest you would need one HVAC controller for each zone (the HVAC controller wiring looks just like a regular signal zone thermostat).

Hope this helps.

-D

Last edited by DMILANI; 07-28-2014 at 12:29 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetis View Post
I am starting to believe I need a Lutron HVAC controller for each zone, which is linked to three separate touch pro units.
As stated above the Lutron HVAC controller is only used with the SeeTemp multi-unit systems (separate temp sensors and controllers). For TouchPro, the thermostat is also the temp sensor, and doesn't need a separate controller or sensor.

In my experience, you always connect the thermostat (or HVAC Controller, for the SeeTemp system) to the Zone controller, which is then connected to the HVAC system itself. And, in general, zone controllers work with most kinds of thermostats.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so there you go. So for a three zone air con system with my issues, I need a zone controller, 3x HVAC controller and 3x seeTemp units with temp sensor. Assuming one has a Master repeater, can one remotely access this system (via iPad ap) to check status/temp and adjust temp? I assume the scheduling feature is only a touch option?

Thank you
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page