Crestron module for Epson Powerlite HomeCinema 8350 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Crestron module for Epson Powerlite HomeCinema 8350

Howdy all! I'm green as all outside when it comes to Crestron programming. I've just took the C101 Foundations of Crestron programming class last week but still have a ways to go before I'm even considered a novice Crestron programmer.

I have a home system I'm starting to build and although I've begun to wrap my head around the building the GUI, formatting the logic is proving to be a bit much. I have a Epson Powerlite HomeCinema 8350 I'm trying to control via my MC2E com A port and can not find a module for it anywhere I look (yahoogroups, avs, crestron etc.). Most mods I see are for different models of the projector and do not have an HDMI input.

I also have a Denon AVR 1312 that I have to control via IR as well as a MINIX neo7 android box I use as a standalone xbmc source that I also will attempt to control via IR. But before I fget to those I would like to atleast be able to turn my projector on and off. My panel is a tmpc 8X GA. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
In having a quick glance, I see several Powerlite models (and saw HDMI as an input) in the Application market. Usually a manufacturer sticks to the same basic protocol from model to model, so one of these should work. Have you looked in the Application Market?
Old 08-13-2014, 03:37 PM

If you have the manual with the serial string structure listed you could also send your serial strings through Crestron via an SIO module. Like Motilac mentioned check the application market and more than likely you will find something there that will do the trick. Most modules created work on multiple models and not just the one listed. That information will be listed in the module's help file.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

No I haven't checked the application market but I'll do so now that you mention it. Thx for the replies, I'll post my findings.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

So I've decided to go with the Epson EH-R4000 v1.1 module and have had some mild success so far. I can power on and off the unit via panel but thats about it. I'm assuming my logic structure is faulty somewhere but I can't pin point the problem yet. I get no warnings or errors when compiling but none of the functionality is working when I press the buttons. Can this simply be because the commands are not totally identical?

Also I'm trying to confirm if the ir learner codes I programmed are incorrect or is it just a bad ir bud I'm using. Is there any proof positive way to confirm that your buds transmitting when the receiver seems non responsive?
Old 08-17-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Typically you can use a video camera pointed at an IR emitter to see the flash. Most video cameras can pick up IR flashes and they are visible when you look through the viewfinder.

If you have not done so, you really want to play with Simpl Debugger in Toolbox. This is the one tool which lets you apply a signal directly to a connection and see if it works or doesn't work.

You will also want to go to the Yahoo forums for Crestron and get in that group. The Yahoo forums Crestron group is one of the best around with many programmers who can help you out.

If you PM me with your email address I can send you a nice power on/off module which works well with various displays and A/V receivers when using 1-way communication. It will power on/off the display when you choose an input for it, and switch to that input after it has powered on in 'xx' seconds. If you power it off before it is fully powered on, it will just power off immediately. It tracks power, and input states, which makes it nice for televisions, projectors, and A/V receivers.

For the Epson 8350, here are the commands to put into a serial I/O:
Power On: PWR ON\x0D
Power Off: PWR OFF\x0D
Component 1 (YCbCr): SOURCE 14\x0D
Component 1 (YPbPr): SOURCE 15\x0D
Input 2 PC: SOURCE 21\x0D
Input HDMI 1: SOURCE 30\x0D
Input HDMI 2: SOURCE A0\x0D
Input Composite: SOURCE 41\x0D
Input S-Video: SOURCE 42\x0D

I don't believe that I am even switching inputs on the 8350 I programmed, I just leave it on HDMI 1 and that's it. Power it on, power it off, that's all.

If you just took the 101 class, then there's a lot to learn still, but you do want to get a basic system going with IR commands and basic serial controls. Learn how to make some cables and hook things up properly. Most people get into programming after years of installation work so they know the installation is good. It's a bit more difficult if you aren't already comfortable with installation work and don't have someone local to help you out. Good luck!
MOTILAC likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info AVI. I would not want to put all those commands into the same serial I/O would I? Looks like power and projector sources would be in their own function specific symbols, or perhaps your assuming I'd already know that? Lol wish I could say yes but I'm sincerely unsure. I'll go ahead and make one to see if I can actually turn it on and off to start. But how could I add a gauge to display on the TP while the projector is warming up?

Gear in this thread - EH-R4000 by PriceGrabber.com