Help me find a home security system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Exclamation Help me find a home security system

Hi all. Ok so I'm renovating a house that I plan to move into. I've been working on it in my spare time and have had (some time ago) someone "push" open some double french doors before I had the top and bottom sliding bolts installed (yes there was a deadbolt). I had a nail gun and portable compressor stolen. Around that time some other neighbors had break ins also.

I'm looking at getting a home security system. Here is what I'd like to have:

1. at least 2-3 cameras (night vision would be nice)...at least 2 exterior and 2 interior would be ideal (one for the HT would be cool )

2. a door bell or driveway alert would be great. While we're on this issue, would I have any problem with a wireless security system and a wireless door bell kit if I have to get both?

3. I could use either wired or wireless, but wireless would have to be dependable.

4. Has to be simple to use for other family members.

5. a baby moniter camera would be nice but not needed.

6. be able to view cameras over mobile phone and TV

7. Like to stay under $1000 if possible. I don't need a huge system, but I'd like to have a decent one thats easy to use.

8. Don't want to pay a monthly fee but I will if it is worth it.

9. I'd like to keep it simple, but have no problem running wires, installing cameras, ect.

Not sure what else I should be looking for, but I do need a door bell kit also and the house is not in town so a driveway alarm would be nice. Also we may repair and use a pool in the back so maybe a motion sensor for the pool?

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-16-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 459
I use Frontpoint. It's a GE system that is integrated with Alarm.com

There is a monthly fee for the central monitoring and z-wave home automation. Has worked pretty flawlessly for several years and Frontpoint customer service is world class
post #3 of 5 Old 08-21-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I use Frontpoint. It's a GE system that is integrated with Alarm.com

There is a monthly fee for the central monitoring and z-wave home automation. Has worked pretty flawlessly for several years and Frontpoint customer service is world class
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking that maybe my best best is to get a seperate home alarm and CCTV camera setup.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 459
^^ Agreed. I do have a couple of cameras through frontpoint and integrated with Alarm.com, but I have just started to purchase cameras to setup a dedicated security camera system using my Synology home server or might build a dedicated computer to serve the surveillance cameras. The integration of the home automation with the Alarm.com service and monitoring is fantastic, but I think independent local storage and control of security footage is the way to go.

There's a lot of good resources and reviews at http://www.networkcameracritic.com/
post #5 of 5 Old 08-23-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

nice. Thanks for the link!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page