1) Control home theater - need a master controller. For C4 that is the HC250 or HC800. Then program away.
2) You can buy more hardware to make Lutron work on C4, but with the HC250 or HC800 you can buy C4 switches, dimmers, multi keypads etc and use those direct with the system (that is how I did my set up)
3) Spa control - I do not own a spa, but if its Zwave, I have to assume you can get into the C4 environment with a good installer
4) C4 has Door station - its average at best for the cost. You need either some sonos components or C4 touchscreens to act as a doorbell inside so it rings on something inside so you can hear it. You can also only see the video on the C4 touchscreens. There is something called a DoorBell Fon people use too for video or you can put a camera outside and a regular door bell by Axxess or Card Access and you can program it so when someone presses that door bell the outdoor camera takes a photo and emails/texts it to you, etc. Tons of programming options and likely the way I would have went - this allows you to get instant video of the front door too. Doorstation does not record video on movement, only displays video when button is pressed and its not recordable. your needs may vary, but several options.
5) Nest integration should be coming soon. I have 4 C4 thermostats for my various zones and I have in wall sensors, the thermostats are ugly but they are downstairs in a basement room, in the main house area its only wall sensors. And I can control my HVAC via C4 app and programming.
Originally Posted by nu77
I'm looking for a home control system and think that Control4 or Savant may be the best way to go, based on information I've been able to gather online. Unfortunately I've contacted 2 dealers and I'm still having trouble on understanding the exact components I would need to make these work. Here's what I'd like to do:
1. control home theater - turn on components, including receiver, projector, motorized screen, select inputs, volume, etc.
2. control lighting and scenes - My contractor has recommended Lutron Maestro dimmers (or RadioRA2 - I don't understand the difference), but the dealers tell me that Control4 and Savant have broken things off with Lutron, and they have alternatives (what what are the?!)
3. spa control - We have an outdoor spa with an Intermatic PE653 MultiWave Controller that talks to a PE953 MultiWave Hand Held Transceiver using Z-Wave. Using the transceiver / remote, we can read and control the temperature, and turn on jets, etc.
4. video intercom - We need an intercom from the front door to 2 interior wall stations, but I think it might be nice to have an IP solution so we can connect to it remotely and/or over an iPad or iPhone interface. I understand that Savant has iPBX and C4 has Door Station C4-DSC-EN, but it isn't clear what the exact components are that I need and their cost.
5. (not a high priority) hvac - Might be nice to read, control the temperature and track energy consumption of our home. I have a radiant heating system, so I'm tempted to go with Nest since it seems to handle that, but I hear that it doesn't talk to any of these home control systems (yet?).
I'd appreciate any advice you can provide on exact components I should look at. I don't really want to install an expensive whole house A/V distribution system just for a door cam, but something IP based that I could connect to with C4 or Savant would be nice. Also which dimmers work best with these systems? Thanks!