Escient Fireball E-120 skipping issue on new imports - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Escient Fireball E-120 skipping issue on new imports

Hopefully there are a few people out there still using these or are willing to share their expertise from the past....

First, yes I know this is old technology and there are currently better solutions. However this unit is integrated into my home automation system and has worked fine with the built-in web server and PC interface. I am also aware there is still a facility that Escient's purchaser directs you to for repair. But I am trying to figure out this issue to see if there is something else going on before sending it in knowing I would have to re-import all my music....of course I have it backed up.

So anyway, what started happening (I thought) a few months ago is this. I would "import" tracks encoded outside the unit at hi-bit MP3 rates, and certain tracks would skip on the fireball. But older imports would play back fine on the fireball... Hmmmm..

So I assumed it was the import/disc but a few months later had the same thing happen on another import. So tried a little detective work and I copied the imported file that skips FROM the fireball back to the PC and it also skips on the PC. But the original file (the one imported to the fireball) does *not* skip on the PC. So the fireball "did something" at the storage level with the file to make it skip. My understanding is if you import a file at the bitrate that the unit is already encoding it, it really should just be copying and indexing it not really processing it. So that is why I say it is at the storage level but could be wrong. Perhaps it is indeed doing some processing.

I went back and determined at which point the problem started (months ago), and every disc imported since that time has the skipping issue. Prior to that, no issues. And those prior imports still play fine on the fireball.

So....do I have a hard drive problem where it is copying new music to sectors on the disk that have issues? Any other ideas?

I couldn't find where the escient had a "check disk" function anywhere which might be helpful to run. Is there a hidden command for this?

I have a hard time believing it is a windows PC/networking issue. All I basically do is copy a file from the PC to the Fireball "import" folder.

And again, I am willing to send it in for repair, but it would be frustrating to get it "repaired" and then have the same issue because it is some strange MP3 encoding/PC/networking issue instead.

Thanks for any thoughts,
BJB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Additional input....I just found out that if I use the fireball to rip a CD it doesn't skip.....so...windows 7 media player changed metadata that the fireball doesn't like or it's ripping codec for MP3 320kbps changed or what?

So I think this rules out a hard drive issue. Any thoughts?
BJBBJB
Old 08-19-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

If an ancient archeologist visits this thread, I have a solution. Using teracopy solved the issue. Apparently some windows update did something to the copying protocol in Windows 7 that the fireball software did not like.

I copied the exact same files with teracopy and they played perfectly. Hope this helps someone else out.

BJBBJB
Old 09-11-2014, 10:53 AM

Liked: 0
reliable source reports, that using XP compatibility mode for transferring mp3 info to fireball will do so without the skip. apparently a Windows 7 Metadata file issue
Old 09-11-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sane0107 View Post
reliable source reports, that using XP compatibility mode for transferring mp3 info to fireball will do so without the skip. apparently a Windows 7 Metadata file issue
I had good success with using terracopy for a batch of imports......until I didn't for another transfer a few days ago. I am pretty PC-literate and then tried running teracopy in XP compatible mode but it did not behave or work.

Can you expand on what you ran in XP compatible mode to make the transfer work without skipping?

Did you rip with windows media player in compatible mode to do the rip? I can certainly use another ripping program if I need to. I don't think you can run windows explorer file manager in compatibility mode to do the copy but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
BJBBJB

Tags
escient , fireball