Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-23-2014, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Looking for advice to expand Insteon system to include z-wave

Hi folks.

I've been playing with home automation for quite some time. When I started, I made the choice (mistake?) to go the Insteon route. Overall, I've been happy with Insteon, but their business practices annoy me now. I started with a 2414u PLC controller and ended up writing my own windows service to control it since available software either didn't fit my needs, or was very expensive.

SmartHome started releasing newer products that were incompatible with PLCs, so I had to choose between the web-enabled 2412n, or a 2412/3U wired PLM. 2412n was plug and done. 2412/3 would have meant rewriting all of my code because it used a totally different command language, or buying an additional controller like an ISY. I made the mistake of choosing the 2412n. 3 replacements later (the network card in the 2412n completely dies exactly the day after the warranty expires), I've finally decided to stop trying 2412ns. lol.

I use Tasker (Android App) to completely control the whole system via voice commands or a GUI I wrote.

I figure it's time for me to bite the bullet and get a reliable PLM and an additional controller. That's were my questions come in.

If I'm getting a 3rd party device to manage my Insteon, I'd want to integrate z-wave into it as well.

I've seen so much talk about the ISY994i that I have total faith in the product, and they do have a z-wave daughter board. I sent their tech support some questions about that.

HomeSeer HomeTroller Zee seems relatively new, but comes with a z-wave USB stick and can handle the Insteon stuff via a PLM.

Revolv has built-in Insteon support, so no need for a PLM at all, which is nice. unfortunately it is so new that I can find nothing about how it handles Insteon and the weird stuff like the fanlinc, smokebridge, and morninglinc.

Can anyone offer advice?

My main concern is flawless compatibility with the already extensive Insteon network I have.
Requirements are a web interface to be able to pass n HTTP GET/POST commands to control devices and get status.

HomeTroller Zee or ISY994i for ~$200 + an $80 PLM, or just a Revolv for $300?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-24-2014, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Trunzo View Post
Hi folks.

I've been playing with home automation for quite some time. When I started, I made the choice (mistake?) to go the Insteon route. Overall, I've been happy with Insteon, but their business practices annoy me now. I started with a 2414u PLC controller and ended up writing my own windows service to control it since available software either didn't fit my needs, or was very expensive.

SmartHome started releasing newer products that were incompatible with PLCs, so I had to choose between the web-enabled 2412n, or a 2412/3U wired PLM. 2412n was plug and done. 2412/3 would have meant rewriting all of my code because it used a totally different command language, or buying an additional controller like an ISY. I made the mistake of choosing the 2412n. 3 replacements later (the network card in the 2412n completely dies exactly the day after the warranty expires), I've finally decided to stop trying 2412ns. lol.

I use Tasker (Android App) to completely control the whole system via voice commands or a GUI I wrote.

I figure it's time for me to bite the bullet and get a reliable PLM and an additional controller. That's were my questions come in.

If I'm getting a 3rd party device to manage my Insteon, I'd want to integrate z-wave into it as well.

I've seen so much talk about the ISY994i that I have total faith in the product, and they do have a z-wave daughter board. I sent their tech support some questions about that.

HomeSeer HomeTroller Zee seems relatively new, but comes with a z-wave USB stick and can handle the Insteon stuff via a PLM.

Revolv has built-in Insteon support, so no need for a PLM at all, which is nice. unfortunately it is so new that I can find nothing about how it handles Insteon and the weird stuff like the fanlinc, smokebridge, and morninglinc.

Can anyone offer advice?

My main concern is flawless compatibility with the already extensive Insteon network I have.
Requirements are a web interface to be able to pass n HTTP GET/POST commands to control devices and get status.

HomeTroller Zee or ISY994i for ~$200 + an $80 PLM, or just a Revolv for $300?
Craig,

I'm quite new to home automation. I have an ISY994i with the Z-Wave daughter board. I have been very happy with the controller. I have about 20 Insteon devices, including varous switches, smokebridge, and motion sensors etc., and 2 Schlage deadbolt locks.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-24-2014, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I do not have any experience with ISY so cannot really comment there. I have used Homeseer HS2 for 15 years and it was excellent in my last home where I had an extensive X-10/Insteon/IR install so that may be one option but like you I used a 2412N back then and no Z-wave at all. Now they have HS3 and I do have it just for testing but have not yet had a chance to do so. I have a customer who uses HS3 with a Zee and he is very happy with that as far as z-wave goes, I would hazard a guess that Insteon would be fine with a PLM like a 2413U as well, as it always was for me until they started screwing with the PLC/PLM stuff before the advent of universal device and the ISY.

At present I use a VeraLite with an Insteon Modem 2413U, that we sell in our store - we are a Home Automation dealer selling X-10, Insteon and Z-Wave products - but I love the setup I have now in both my home and office and use Insteon, Z-Wave and X-10 every day. However my setup is not that extensive in this house (and never will be) but I do use all three technologies. The only issue I have is with X-10 which is very slow in processing commands. I am sure you do not care about X-10 though. As far as Insteon goes its great with the modem and Vera, I hear that the Alsteon plug-in is much superior to native Insteon for Vera though so I would suggest you try that. Most people say that if you like native Insteon, you will love Alsteon and they say its alot more expandable with plug-ins and config.

My 2 cents!
post #4 of 4 Old 09-02-2014, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been using isy99 first and now isy994 in 2 houses. Very happy with the result. Have over 150 insteon devices. Very stable, pretty much set and forget. Also use ISY to control some features of the home theater (through network module). Just bought 2 zwave boards, but have not set any zwave devices yet.

I am using MibilincHD for control (local and remote), works well.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page