Clarification on RadioRA 2 and HomeWorks QS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-24-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Clarification on RadioRA 2 and HomeWorks QS

I'm building a home and looking to integrate a lighting control system. I've been reading up on the Lutron solutions but was hoping someone could clarify some things for me. First, though, here are some things I would want to be able to do:

• Have lights come on when someone enters the room, with daylight sensor so it doesn't come on unnecessarily. Lights go off when room is vacant.
  • For bedrooms, there should be a sleep mode where the occupancy sensor no longer turns the light on. This mode should be manually triggered with a keypad button and only affect the room where the keypad is located, e.g. one child can go to bed while another stays up later.
  • In master bedroom, the sleep button puts whole house in sleep mode. Occupancy sensors in hallways/bathrooms would turn lights on at a reduced intensity.

My understanding is that RadioRA 2 has limited or no conditional logic and wouldn't be able to handle the above scenarios. Assuming this is correct

1. Can the above scenarios be handled if RadioRA 2 is integrated with an external controller, e.g. Crestron/Savant/Control4/etc.? This would move all programming out of the lighting system and into the external controller, correct? Are there downsides to doing that?
  2. Can HomeWorks QS be used with traditional wiring? I've gathered HomeWorks is a centralized lighting system, but some things I read seemed to suggest that it was possible, though I could have completely misinterpreted.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 101
All of that can be done, but won't happen auto-magically. It'll have to be configured to do so. In terms of #1 , depending on how the sensors work, that often doesn't work nearly as nicely as it sounds. If it's a *motion* detector, then someone has to be moving all the time to keep the lights on, which isn't usually what you want. You end up with people doing 'the wave' to keep the lights on. Having them come on upon motion, and either be turned off manually or only go off after no motion for a considerable period of time is more practical unless you have some way beyond motion to determine occupancy.

Our CQC (www.charmedquark.com) product supports RA2/QS and would make the stuff you want to do fairly straightforward. You can use whatever mix of 'in the box' and 'in the controller' you want in terms of where logic lives, though it's often a lot easier to do at our level, being a much higher level product. If you are going to do it yourself, no matter what system you choose you'll spend considerably more time learning the system than doing the logic that you want to do (though of course 'mission creep' is pretty inevitable once you see how much you can do.)

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #3 of 4 Old 08-24-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. So it sounds like there are no issues with having the logic programmed outside the lighting system? I wasn't sure if there were limits to what RadioRA exposed to external controllers or if there were latency issues.

As for how well the auto lighting works, that was a big question in my mind. I was feeling reassured since reading a couple articles where hands free operation was implemented and people seemed to be happy with it, and that so called dual technology sensors are much better at detecting occupants.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-25-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 101
There may be better occupancy sensors out there. I was just making sure you understand that if they were straight motion sensors, that it might not work as well you'd hope, at least for that purpose. If it's just reacting to someone moving into an area a plain old motion sensor can handle that just fine. I'd be interested to know how any sort of passive sensor could tell someone was lying on a couch reading reliably.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page