simple light control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
simple light control

I a currently in the market to control lights in my media room and some select areas around the house. I also have a fan that I would like to turn off and on as my 2 year old daughter likes to turn it off when it needs to be on. I also need a controller that will integrate with iRule as I use that in my house.

Besides the basic on/off and dim functionality I would like for my lights to dim or go off when I hit play in iRule and come back up as I pause or hit stop.

I have looked at the isy and vera but there are so many other options out there and I want to make sure that I am going down the right path. Thank you everyone in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, I am not familiar with iRule so cannot really comment on what it will do or not but as far as triggering events initiated with IR, your best bet may be Homeseer and an IR receiver/transmitter like USB-UIRT which is what I have used in the past. It will allow HS to receive an IR signal and then depending upon which modem/hardware interface you have HS configured with it will allow you to trigger a scene or send a command, whatever you want really. HS is compatible with both Z-Wave and Insteon as well as X-10 and UPB so the choice is yours. Vera does have a plug-in for iRule but I do not know it as I do not have iRule, you may want to check out the MCV forums for that one. If you can get an IR signal into Vera it would work very well beyond that point for all your HA stuff, problem is Vera accepts IR with a USB-UIRT but one-way transmit only, it doesn't receive IR signals.

Another option might be to integrate with EventGhost somehow. I am sure that would work but have not done it yet.

Yet another option may be even simpler yet, get some IR Z-Wave switches from Leviton and and their IR remote and program the remote to send the IR signals (even learned ones) directly to the switch and then you could use the receipt of those commands as triggers for other events/scenes or even just turn on the lights or dim whatever load is attached.

For the ceiling fan, do you need on/off only or do you want to control the speed as well? Also, this may be easier with Insteon, are you looking for a particular protocol or do you care whether or not if its insteon or z-wave?
post #3 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

I was looking at the vera lite and it looks like it will fit my needs but I want to make sure that I am making a choice that I can grow on and one that will not be outdated quickly. I work in the IT field and our company actually deals with Crestron but I know what that stuff cost!!

Has anyone used the Lutron Smart Bridge? if so what are your thoughts?

Also for the control of the fan it would just be on/off control and not speed
post #4 of 6 Old 08-28-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I use Insteon with the ISY 994i, and I also control it with a free app on my Android phone. I will be using other means to control it down the road but the app works nicely.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-01-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I use Insteon with the ISY 994i, and I also control it with a free app on my Android phone. I will be using other means to control it down the road but the app works nicely.
What other means do you plan to use down the road to control the isy and the insteon? That is the route I am leaning towards unless I can find out more info on the Lurton smart bridge.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post
What other means do you plan to use down the road to control the isy and the insteon? That is the route I am leaning towards unless I can find out more info on the Lurton smart bridge.
I have CQC still, and it works fine... Just a bit complicated to get working but it can do almost anything too. For ease of use right now I am using wdISY right now on my Samsung Galaxy note phone. It shows the names of all my Insteon devices and I just select the one I want to control. Very basic but work well, and it is free.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page