Help! Information OVERLOAD! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SMHarman

post #1 of 9 Old 08-25-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help! Information OVERLOAD!

I need help putting these systems together. We are in the beginning stages of constucting our dream home (3br 2 bth 2600sqft.) I want to automate the..Lighting, A/V, Alarm system and Whole home audio system (HTD). I've been reading up on INSTEON and they seem to have a pretty good system, but IM VERY NEW to HA and not real sure on how to differentiate between "Good or Bad". Im in the process of ordering all of my wiring for the prewire (3cat5e, 2RG6, 14/2 per room). Any advice on where/how to begin will be GREATLY appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Two things off the top of my head. One, wire in neutrals to EVERY switchbox without fail. This is NEC code since 2011 so should be done, but I see it being skipped to save money all the time. You will be sorry if you do not have neutrals later because almost every HA switch requires them. Second, run at least 2 Cat 6e to every room. Sounds like you are doing 3 cat5e, 2 RG6 and 14/2 which is probably fine, not sure whether 6e matters except I know for the future it will so thats a cost option up to you. I am not familiar with costs today, but you def need neutrals everywhere even for 3-way circuits where you will need 14/3 at least.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-25-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atgayde View Post
I need help putting these systems together. We are in the beginning stages of constucting our dream home (3br 2 bth 2600sqft.) I want to automate the..Lighting, A/V, Alarm system and Whole home audio system (HTD). I've been reading up on INSTEON and they seem to have a pretty good system, but IM VERY NEW to HA and not real sure on how to differentiate between "Good or Bad". Im in the process of ordering all of my wiring for the prewire (3cat5e, 2RG6, 14/2 per room). Any advice on where/how to begin will be GREATLY appreciated.

Will you be doing this yourself or do you plan to have someone install/setup for you? There are so many ways to go through this (even if you narrow it down to yourself or someone else doing the setup). I can only share what I did (there is a thread on it). I went DIY with z-wave (veralite controller) to control lighting, outlets, and it integrates and can control my alarm system. I'm currently using iRule to control my theater systems, and it integrates with Vera. Vera is flexible in that it can control z-wave and also you can purchase an INSTEON adapter as well. Other solutions can control both... I'd recommend getting something versatile.

I don't have traditional whole house audio. I can, however, synchronize music playback across my computers on the network (I have a computer of some sort connected to every screen and audio receiver) so that serves the same purpose for me. I have integrated any controls for that.

Good luck.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-25-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 99
It may not be your house until you pay, so your builder may not want to allow you to run your own LV cables. When he subs out the LV prewiring, he adds a surcharge.

The LV sub may not want to use your cables, as he makes money off selling them to you.

I would use an alarm installer for the alarm system sensors. Talk to him about what extra cables to use, e.g. alarm keypad locations, wireless access points. It may be the alarm installer who will be contracted for all cables.

So, don't buy anything until you come to an agreement with the builder about letting you run cables yourself, using your own sub, or using the builder's subcontractor.

Some project managers are nicer than others, and may let you run some/all cables yourself, even if the builder says no.

If you prewire correctly, you can use a variety of hardware platforms. In 10 years, you may want to move to a different system, anyway.

Don't buy the hardware until you're ready to install it. Tech evolves rapidly, decisions change.

Don't forget to wire for doorbells. Bury speaker cables behind drywall until you're ready to use them, may take some time to getting around to it. Take thousands of photos of the cable locations before drywall goes up, to save yourself headaches later.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 9 Old 08-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by haworld View Post
Two things off the top of my head. One, wire in neutrals to EVERY switchbox without fail. This is NEC code since 2011 so should be done, but I see it being skipped to save money all the time. You will be sorry if you do not have neutrals later because almost every HA switch requires them. Second, run at least 2 Cat 6e to every room. Sounds like you are doing 3 cat5e, 2 RG6 and 14/2 which is probably fine, not sure whether 6e matters except I know for the future it will so thats a cost option up to you. I am not familiar with costs today, but you def need neutrals everywhere even for 3-way circuits where you will need 14/3 at least.
At most one shielded cat6 to tv locations beyond that it is an overkill cable for home use now and into the future.

The one there would be for HDBaseT which uses CAT cable to transmit HD audio and video over distance.

Last edited by SMHarman; 08-27-2014 at 06:38 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-27-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
At most one shielded cat6 to tv locations beyond that it is an overkill cable for home use now and into the future.

The one there would be for HDBaseT which uses CAT cable to transmit HD audio and video over distance.
To the OP, there's your answer re Cat5 or 6 - But I would still run at least 2 cables minimum per room. One as SMHarman suggests for dedicated TV, but if you ever need a second one for to plug in a second device in the same room you will be sorry. I guess you could use a switch or something in each room but it still seems like a good idea to run a second one now, while its so much easier to do so, than have to worry about missing it later. I am not a networking expert, I sell HA, so just an opinion.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 68
If I was not clear my point was it is quicker cheaper and easier to run CAT5E vs CAT6. Additionally it is more than up yo the bandwidth requirements of 99% of home devices for the foreseeable future.
My recommendation was one Cat 6 to tv locations in addition. To cat 5 you may pull.
Cat 5 is easy to pull inpairs so get two pull boxes and pull away.
The other advice for cat 5 rg6 etc is bang on.
haworld likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-27-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it. Newlinux I've been following your thread on your install and decided to look into the Vera system, my only concern is the amount of programming that may be required to setup. I would consider myself pretty techno knowledgeable, but code writing is a whole other beast.

Neurorad before I signed the contract to build I made sure the builder was ok with me running my own LV wiring.

So it seems that I'm off to a pretty good wiring foundation from the responses that I've received. I will DEFINITELY give a post wiring update.

Thanks again Guys.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atgayde View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it. Newlinux I've been following your thread on your install and decided to look into the Vera system, my only concern is the amount of programming that may be required to setup. I would consider myself pretty techno knowledgeable, but code writing is a whole other beast.

Neurorad before I signed the contract to build I made sure the builder was ok with me running my own LV wiring.

So it seems that I'm off to a pretty good wiring foundation from the responses that I've received. I will DEFINITELY give a post wiring update.

Thanks again Guys.
The code I've written has been pretty minimal, and mostly based on readily available examples. There are probably non code ways of accomplishing what I did use code for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page