• 1 Post By Mntneer

post #1 of 14 Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Home Automation / A/v distribution project

Hey guys,

so we are in the process of remodeling our home and are planning on installing a a/v distribution & home automation system.. and hope to get some advise on what we should get.
first i'm not looking at dealer systems at all.. so Control4, Savant, Crestron are out.

i'm looking to achive 4 main things
1. Control Lights,Garage, Doors, Camera, hvac
2. 4 zones of sound through the house (kitchen,Den,Living-room,Outside)
3. Video Distribution from central closet
4. MUST ALL BE DIY, i'm have some development background.. and can learn api fairly quick

so i've been looking at insteon.. but it falls short on the a/v.. same for homeseer.

my ideal setup is one "total Control" system.. and not a bunch of small isolated systems.. i.e. Insteon & niles etc.

so i need help.. what do you guys recommend.. thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There is no single DIY system that does all the things you want. That's why the big dealer systems exist - to pull all those things together in one consumer friendly package. You're going to need to pick individual systems that do what you want and combine them all using one of the DIY automation control systems.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfishbein View Post
Hey guys,

so we are in the process of remodeling our home and are planning on installing a a/v distribution & home automation system.. and hope to get some advise on what we should get.
first i'm not looking at dealer systems at all.. so Control4, Savant, Crestron are out.

i'm looking to achive 4 main things
1. Control Lights,Garage, Doors, Camera, hvac
2. 4 zones of sound through the house (kitchen,Den,Living-room,Outside)
3. Video Distribution from central closet
4. MUST ALL BE DIY, i'm have some development background.. and can learn api fairly quick

so i've been looking at insteon.. but it falls short on the a/v.. same for homeseer.

my ideal setup is one "total Control" system.. and not a bunch of small isolated systems.. i.e. Insteon & niles etc.

so i need help.. what do you guys recommend.. thanks again.
My recommendation would be using Insteon and or Z-wave with Homeseer and a USB-UIRT. I am no expert on A/V distribution but I have done this before with what I mentioned with the addition of EventGhost on a HTPC. Worked great for me for HA and A/V control of 6 or 7 devices in my home theatre/entertainment system, although I didn't do much for distribtuion just really one room but I even had voice control thanks to HS. Not a bad setup really.
post #4 of 14 Old 09-01-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

i'm ok with using different solution.. i.e. insteon for home lighting etc.. and another system for A/v.. i just want some way to tie them together.. like savant.. but more open source DIY.

my main issue is using multiple apps.. i want to have a single interface for everything.. and that what i can't find.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Actually the above is not true. Our CQC platform is DIY friendly and it can do all of that and much more. You have to provide the hardware of course, since we only problem the software control and automation part of it. But in terms of coordinating all of that, it wouldn't even strain CQC's little pinky finger.

PM me if you want more info.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 Old 09-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i diy'd most of whats on your list with loxone

multizone integration via casatunes (controllable through the loxone app)

integrated video ive not done, still standalone at the moment, but pretty easy with any media player that accepts web sockets or http requests (xbmc for one)
post #7 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

How exactly does loxone work? What switches and outlet does it work with. Do you need to hardware all them back to the controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbone View Post
i diy'd most of whats on your list with loxone

multizone integration via casatunes (controllable through the loxone app)

integrated video ive not done, still standalone at the moment, but pretty easy with any media player that accepts web sockets or http requests (xbmc for one)
post #8 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 06:55 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfishbein View Post
How exactly does loxone work? What switches and outlet does it work with. Do you need to hardware all them back to the controller?
its a centralised, wired configuration.heres a post i made earlier explaining how that works

automation is actioned at the control box ("miniserver" in loxone terms) and not at the end points. therefore loxone works with any switch that closes a contact, and any regular power outlet

any outlets (or outlet groups) and switches you require to be automated are cabled back to the control box, using standard t&e and cat5 respectively (or any lv cable that carrys 24v)
post #9 of 14 Old 09-04-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

i doubt i will be able to retrofit that into the old part of the house.

so i guess it probably makes sense to do two systems.

1. automation
2. A/V

For A/V i've been looking at RusSound cav 6.6 looks like it's a great price point.. especially on ebay.. a system can be had for under $400 without wall panels.

what have you guys strapped on to Russound to support Airplay and streaming.. i know russound has there own add on.. but at 2k it's a bit to pricey for me.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-04-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

If you can find a willing dealer, Control4 does offer some limited DIY aspects. You can purchase and use their Composer HE software. It won't allow you to add new hardware, but it will allow you to program the system on your own. It's a little better balance of giving you one complete solution versus a DIY hybrid system.
SMHarman likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-04-2014, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Honestly u don't even want to entertain the dealer route.

Right now the systems that look most promising are isy and homeseer. But I hate the a la cart model of home seer. All in its almost 1k for all the software and plug in. I would use my own PC instead of there controller.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post
If you can find a willing dealer, Control4 does offer some limited DIY aspects. You can purchase and use their Composer HE software. It won't allow you to add new hardware, but it will allow you to program the system on your own. It's a little better balance of giving you one complete solution versus a DIY hybrid system.
There are a number of great remote dealers you can find on c4 forums.

You connect the hardware. They remote in and make the composer pro connections. You program activities and scenes and things in composer home.

Good luck.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-04-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't get me wrong fish, at one time I was strictly DIY, but sometimes it pays to put the burden of making things work correctly on someone else's shoulders, especially if you're like me and have a huge WAF to deal with.

I'm finishing up a new house now, where I just finished wiring 8 zones of audio this past weekend. Between the audio, and wanting some form of video matrix, combined with lights, HVAC and cameras I wanted to keep it simple to keep the wife happy. Video Distribution is where integration gets more tricky in my book, and finding a cost effective solution that works, and can meet current and future needs isn't easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
There are a number of great remote dealers you can find on c4 forums.

You connect the hardware. They remote in and make the composer pro connections. You program activities and scenes and things in composer home.

Good luck.
And to second that thought, Composer is a fairly simple program to use if you're comfortable with any type scripting or coding.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It's drag and drop coding! Just remember to back up your project before you play and mess it up as changes occur in real time.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page