AVS Forum banner

Z-Wave Curtain Controller

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  haworld 
#1 ·
I would like to install an automatic blackout curtain over a 10' span of windows. There appear to be multiple motor units available at a wide variety of price points, but I would like to be able to control the curtains with my Harmony 890 over Z-Wave.

Is anyone aware of a reasonably priced solution to this problem?

#2 ·
Well there are a number of motors you can use but what is your definition of "reasonably priced"? Most of these solutions (not talking your specific one here) average about $3-400 or so at a minimum. More if you want Luton which is the best but high end and will require a Zwave motor controller adaptor or if you already have a zwave controller you can go with the cheaper Enerwave motor which are about $200 or so. But the issue you will have is using your remote. Is the Harmony 890 already z-wave compatible?

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks so much for the feedback, haworld!

The Harmony 890 remote is already Z-Wave compatible, yes. (Sadly, newer Logitech remotes seem to have dropped this feature. I am in love with my 890 and fear for its eventual demise.)

I was hoping to be in the $200-300 range for the track, motor, and Z-Wave receiver; so $300-400 is 'reasonable' in my book.

A Google search for 'Enerwave' yielded a product page but no retailers or prices. I did send an email to the folks at remotecontrolcurtain.com who assured me that yes, their motor is Z-Wave compatible... all I need to do is find a controller that'll interface with their system. But no specific products were mentioned, which makes me believe that there are no specific products on the market that'll work with their motor out of the box.

I'm pretty new to home automation, and curtain control seems to be a niche market within a niche market, so finding reliable information is challenging. I'd prefer a solution that I can install myself rather than paying an integrator/installer to charge an insane markup on product that is already a luxury in my budget.

Are you able to point me to specific products and/or vendors from which I can purchase a system (or parts that I can integrate into a system)?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Let me put together some options for you on the zwave curtains later this afternoon and post back with the info.

Just so you know, all is not lost, Logitech has just announced that they are going back into the HA space with a new line of Harmony remotes and an HA hub so look for that in December this year.

I will post back soon with more info.

#5 · (Edited)
Ok Here is some more info on z-wave curtains for you...

1. Aeon Labs has their Micro Motor Controller which is a low cost Z-Wave motor controller to control window covering motors. You just wire this into an existing motor (which you can get almost anywhere) and it will allow you to control it via your z-wave controller/system. These are only about $50-$60.

2. Add-A-Motor, Inc has a product that uses any plug-in module as a power supply so you can just buy a z-wave appliance module which will allow for z-wave remote control and then the add-a-motor plugs into that for direct control of your curtains. This would work for ANY HA module such as X-10, or Insteon as well. Note this only works with vertical drapes and blinds, rotating vertical blinds. They do have a more expensive controller for larger curtains, here is a link to that as well.

3. Enerwave has an motor controller which has z-wave bulit-in, here is a link to their site, but not much info I'm afraid. I will have to check on the cost as well.

4. ESI has an AC and a DC z-wave motor controller plus a remote, the motors sell for between $250 & $300. Link to the AC motor and the DC motor.

5. Somfy has probably the best shade and curtain controls out there (in competition with Lutron, which I know very little about) in their Z-Wave to Motor Interface and the Z-Wave to RTS Interface, both of which are excellent products. I would highly recommend Somfy for your shade/curtain/blind control needs.

If anybody has anything to add regarding Z-Wave curtain controls, please do so!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.