Zwave door lock. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 11-25-2014, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Zwave door lock.

So the keypad on my Weiser electronic deadbolt malfunctioned for the second time in less than a year and I'm thinking this might be an opportunity to test the home automation waters.

Can anyone suggest a reliable electronic zwave compatible deadbolt? As much as I want to avoid another keypad, I still need keyless entry for my dog walkers, and I'm not quite sold on Bluetooth based locks being consistently reliable, not to mention the unknown compatibility with my walkers' cell phones.

As for z-wave, the lock needs to play nice with other controllers, such as Veralite.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by koturban View Post
So the keypad on my Weiser electronic deadbolt malfunctioned for the second time in less than a year and I'm thinking this might be an opportunity to test the home automation waters.

Can anyone suggest a reliable electronic zwave compatible deadbolt? As much as I want to avoid another keypad, I still need keyless entry for my dog walkers, and I'm not quite sold on Bluetooth based locks being consistently reliable, not to mention the unknown compatibility with my walkers' cell phones.

As for z-wave, the lock needs to play nice with other controllers, such as Veralite.

Suggestions?

I have 2 Yale Security YRD210-ZW-619 deadbolts. Work well for me with my veralite. Had one for about 8 months and the other 6 months. Still on original batteries for both. Key for good operability with vera is their placement relative the controller. You can also go totally keyless now with some models of z-wave deadbolts.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-26-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post
I have 2 Yale Security YRD210-ZW-619 deadbolts. Work well for me with my veralite. Had one for about 8 months and the other 6 months. Still on original batteries for both. Key for good operability with vera is their placement relative the controller. You can also go totally keyless now with some models of z-wave deadbolts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post
I perused the manual and it looks like a more robust design. The keypad on mine is a flat ribbon cable that I believe was pinched by the cover plate at some point.

I saw your thread but haven't had a chance to give it a thorough read. How do you like the Veralite?

One thing that's not clear to me: Does the Veralite require some sort of cloud server for access outside of your LAN, or does your smartphone access it directly through a router port?
post #4 of 21 Old 11-26-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I perused the manual and it looks like a more robust design. The keypad on mine is a flat ribbon cable that I believe was pinched by the cover plate at some point.

I saw your thread but haven't had a chance to give it a thorough read. How do you like the Veralite?

One thing that's not clear to me: Does the Veralite require some sort of cloud server for access outside of your LAN, or does your smartphone access it directly through a router port?

The veralite has been good. A couple of quirks to get over, and for a bit I had a few stability problems but it's pretty rock solid now. Good value. There are better out there, I'm sure, but the community is good and the product is in active development (software and new hardware).

Vera has cloud server access for outside your LAN (account required, but it is free). You can also forward the appropriate ports on your router and access it directly off your LAN. If you want to use their smartphone app I think you will have to use their cloud access.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-06-2014, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I took the dive and made a Black Friday purchase and purchased the following:
  • Veralite
    Yale Real Living Touch Screen DB
    Insteon Powerlinc
    Insteon IOLinc
    Honeywell 8320 thermostat
    Insteon Switchlinc (5)

Learning curve hasn't been steep. The Dashboard seems to make things straightforward. I got into a little trouble during installation of the deadbolt. I played with it before I installed it to see how it would work with the Veralite. Later during the install, I discovered it opened "backwards" to my door orientation and was jamming the deadbolt. (!)

In my manual, Yale doesn't explicitly describe how the deadbolt performs a self-orientation during the initial battery installation; and it was only after finding this explanation online for a similar Yale DB did I find the solution to be a factory reset.

Thermostat presented a small challenge in that it required a fifth "common" wire and my previous thermostat was only using four. Fortunately, A quick examination of my furnace schematics revealed I already had that provision and the extra wire was available in the thermostat cable. Honeywell supplies an adapter module for these kinds of retrofits. Fortunately, there was no need to find a place for this ugly little module on my wall.

My next foray has been setting up "scenes". My hope is to tie together two of my outside lights such that turning one on turns on the other. I can do it via the dashboard but doesn't seem to work when I locally turn on the light. Do I need to do this directly between the lnstalincs or do I need to add one switch to the network again as a "controller"?
Overall, the experience has been rewarding

Last edited by koturban; 12-06-2014 at 05:47 AM.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-24-2014, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Well, I took the dive and made a Black Friday purchase and purchased the following:
  • Veralite
    Yale Real Living Touch Screen DB
    Insteon Powerlinc
    Insteon IOLinc
    Honeywell 8320 thermostat
    Insteon Switchlinc (5)

Learning curve hasn't been steep. The Dashboard seems to make things straightforward. I got into a little trouble during installation of the deadbolt. I played with it before I installed it to see how it would work with the Veralite. Later during the install, I discovered it opened "backwards" to my door orientation and was jamming the deadbolt. (!)

In my manual, Yale doesn't explicitly describe how the deadbolt performs a self-orientation during the initial battery installation; and it was only after finding this explanation online for a similar Yale DB did I find the solution to be a factory reset.

Thermostat presented a small challenge in that it required a fifth "common" wire and my previous thermostat was only using four. Fortunately, A quick examination of my furnace schematics revealed I already had that provision and the extra wire was available in the thermostat cable. Honeywell supplies an adapter module for these kinds of retrofits. Fortunately, there was no need to find a place for this ugly little module on my wall.

My next foray has been setting up "scenes". My hope is to tie together two of my outside lights such that turning one on turns on the other. I can do it via the dashboard but doesn't seem to work when I locally turn on the light. Do I need to do this directly between the lnstalincs or do I need to add one switch to the network again as a "controller"?
Overall, the experience has been rewarding
I've been going crazy having fun with these new ZWAVE products. I just bought the YALE 220 deadbolt / touchpad and have installed about 25 ZWAVE light switches, 3 ZWAVE TSTATs (Honeywell) and likely going to add more. I've set up some great scenes.

Done most of it myself except had an electrician do the 3-way / 4-way light switches. I used Leviton ZWAVE switches for those lights and GE/Jasco for most single pole lights. He had some trouble getting the wiring right - not the easiest to wire but they all work great.

My master touchpad is the Tuxedo Touch (Honeywell). I use voice control for some scenes. Very cool.

Would like more flexibility with the TOTALCONNECT App but it has been steadily improving.

** How do you reset the Yale lock?? I haven't installed yet but will do so soon - just in case!

Thanks!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #7 of 21 Old 12-24-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I've been going crazy having fun with these new ZWAVE products. I just bought the YALE 220 deadbolt / touchpad and have installed about 25 ZWAVE light switches, 3 ZWAVE TSTATs (Honeywell) and likely going to add more. I've set up some great scenes.

Done most of it myself except had an electrician do the 3-way / 4-way light switches. I used Leviton ZWAVE switches for those lights and GE/Jasco for most single pole lights. He had some trouble getting the wiring right - not the easiest to wire but they all work great.

My master touchpad is the Tuxedo Touch (Honeywell). I use voice control for some scenes. Very cool.

Would like more flexibility with the TOTALCONNECT App but it has been steadily improving.

** How do you reset the Yale lock?? I haven't installed yet but will do so soon - just in case!

Thanks!
I've just ordered some more switches and sensors. Most are zwave but some are Insteon.

I have some three way and a four way to contend with as well. I also picked up some Insteon IOlincs and Zwave tilt sensors to set up my garage doors.

Also just received a Netatmo weather station. Our local weather stations aren't really local, and I find they can differ significantly. Vera has a plugin for Netatmo so I'm hopeful.

To reset your Yale to factory default, PERFORM the following:
  1. REMOVE inner eustacheon and REMOVE batteries.
    HOLD DOWN reset button for at least three seconds and while holding down button, INSTALL batteries.

I'd confirm these steps in your owner's manual. Look for "Factory Default" section.
If you have put in batteries before installing, I'd recommend the reset before use. The wrong configuration could jam and even damage the deadbolt drive mechanism.

Last edited by koturban; 12-24-2014 at 01:00 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-10-2015, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Thanks!
I actually work for one of the major security providers in the US as a tech support rep. We use yale and kwickset locks in our installs integrated into both honeywells total connect as well as the new alarm.com.

I am impressed by the set up alarm.com allows you to set up rules for triggers like you would on the tuxedo but allows notification with it via email and sms.

Honeywell is working on a beta for home automation controlled by gps via onstar in cars. Alarm.com allows the ability to control your zwave devices by gps built into your cell phone.

With all zwave devices I advise max distance from devices be no more than 25 feet so you do not run into issues with them falling off the network. And remember that the number of nodes between your controller and the locks cannot be more than 4 nodes as the encryption for the lock commands will not work.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-10-2015, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by meetball View Post
I actually work for one of the major security providers in the US as a tech support rep. We use yale and kwickset locks in our installs integrated into both honeywells total connect as well as the new alarm.com.

I am impressed by the set up alarm.com allows you to set up rules for triggers like you would on the tuxedo but allows notification with it via email and sms.

Honeywell is working on a beta for home automation controlled by gps via onstar in cars. Alarm.com allows the ability to control your zwave devices by gps built into your cell phone.

With all zwave devices I advise max distance from devices be no more than 25 feet so you do not run into issues with them falling off the network. And remember that the number of nodes between your controller and the locks cannot be more than 4 nodes as the encryption for the lock commands will not work.
Small World I work for a major security company also I'm a service technician. Have only worked with alarm.com but would like to know more about HW total connect also. So what is the max z-wave devices that you can have I did just learn about the 4 device hop to the locks, any info would be greatly appreciated! Oh I currently have the schalage touch screen DB and 2gig t-stat, would like to eventually get some light switches.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-10-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
Small World I work for a major security company also I'm a service technician. Have only worked with alarm.com but would like to know more about HW total connect also. So what is the max z-wave devices that you can have I did just learn about the 4 device hop to the locks, any info would be greatly appreciated! Oh I currently have the schalage touch screen DB and 2gig t-stat, would like to eventually get some light switches.
it all depends on your controller. I know that the new 2gig systems (go control) can support up to 236 devices. Well I know its around that number in the 200s.

The system ADT offers is just a re-branded version of the total connect offered by honeywell, its called the pulse that has been talked about here on the forums. It seems to lack the ability that alarm.com can offer right now but our honeywell rep has offered us to come to their plant to view the new offerings they are bringing out.

I am currently looking into some switches to control my theater I am building as I just bought a new home. I get to deal with the manufactures on a daily basis. (lutron, honeywell, esc) Coming out late this year is a new system by 2gig with alarm.com that I will be placing into this home.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-11-2015, 04:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good to know guys.

You are right about 25 ft between ZWAVE devices. The more devices, the more reliable and stable the Zwave mesh network.

I have a Total Connect account. I have the APP on my phone and iPad. So I can monitor and control from anywhere. It too gives texts and emails for any trigger, scene, door, window left open, etc.

I have 3 ZWAVE TSTATs, 1 Yale lock, and approx 20 light switches. Dimmers can even be set in macros to various levels of brightness. I have GE, Linear and Leviton switches. The LEvitons seem most robust but I can't tell if technically, any are better than any other in terms of Zwave signal strength.

I have Tuxedo Touch WIFI and Vista 21-IP panel (and a pair of 6162 keypads).

I installed my Yale lock, but it literally took a couple weeks for it to work reliably in my system. It's almost like the ZWAVE 'mesh network' has to learn and best configure itself for some devices (particularly remote ones). The Zwave lock is at the farthest end of my house. The Tuxedo controller is at the exact opposite end and likely 'hops' through 5-6 devices to get a signal from the Yale Lock.. I had to add another device near to the lock to help maintain a good ZWAVE signal. I'm not sure if I still trust it to work remotely when I need it (likely due to distance from main controller) but I have loaded in a bunch of codes that could be used in a pinch.

I have many scenes and triggers set up.

For example:
When I ARM AWAY, after sunset, certain lights come on on the exterior and the interior but all others turn off. When I get home, as soon as disarmed, all interior lights come on.
I use the voice commands, too. For example, when I go to bed, I simply say, "Bedtime" and the Tuxedo Touch engages ARM STAY, turns off all lights inside, turns on exterior lamps, lowers all TSTATS to 65 degrees.
At wake up, when I disarm, the system lightly dims a light in my bedroom to a very low level for waking up and lights up a path of lights to the bathroom and down to the kitchen.

Very cool stuff. If certain lights are left on, I get a text and email that they are still ON.

These macros are through Total Connect and internally in the Tuxedo.

Down sides are ZWAVE devices can only be grouped into 5 switches within the Tuxedo Touch and 10 devices on Total Connect. I'd like that limitless.

But, for an end user, it is plenty powerful.

I was thinking of adding a second Tuxedo Touch at one end of the house nearer the lock. Since my current Tuxedo Touch is at one end of a long house, if I add a second Tuxedo Touch to the other end of the house in place of another non- Tuxedo Touch keypad , will that increase the reliability of those devices at that end of the house by being able to re-enroll those zwave devices nearby? Or would the second Tuxedo act as a simple repeater like any other zwave device and a slave to the primary Tuxedo Touch controller?

Any ideas?

Here's a couple screen shots from the Total Connect webpage. Top photo shows the set up for a text/email reminder for a light left 'on' for 4 hours, bottom photo shows control and set up of a thermostat.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 6.18.22 AM.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	472226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 6.17.34 AM.jpg
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	472234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 6.26.02 AM.jpg
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	472242  

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009

Last edited by thebland; 01-11-2015 at 04:28 AM.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-11-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of adding a second Tuxedo Touch at one end of the house nearer the lock. Since my current Tuxedo Touch is at one end of a long house, if I add a second Tuxedo Touch to the other end of the house in place of another non- Tuxedo Touch keypad , will that increase the reliability of those devices at that end of the house by being able to re-enroll those zwave devices nearby? Or would the second Tuxedo act as a simple repeater like any other zwave device and a slave to the primary Tuxedo Touch controller?

Any ideas?
It will work the way you are thinking. There is an option in the tuxedo to set it as a slave. you will have to enroll the lock into the slave keypad and you will lose the issue with it dropping off your network. There is a neat trick that you can actually connect to your keypads separately outside of total connect and be able to control the devices. If you right down the ip address in the lower left corner you can actually bring it up in any browser and have access to the whole keypad.

I know they just brought out a new version of the keypad that has a memory card that you can actually have your ip cameras record into the keypad and be viewed.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-11-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It will work the way you are thinking. There is an option in the tuxedo to set it as a slave. you will have to enroll the lock into the slave keypad and you will lose the issue with it dropping off your network. There is a neat trick that you can actually connect to your keypads separately outside of total connect and be able to control the devices. If you right down the ip address in the lower left corner you can actually bring it up in any browser and have access to the whole keypad.

I know they just brought out a new version of the keypad that has a memory card that you can actually have your ip cameras record into the keypad and be viewed.
Good news! Is there a new Tuxedo model number on that one?

When you enroll into a slave Tuxedo, does it sync devices with the other keypad or are certain devices on one keypad and other devices on the second keypad?

Thanks for the info!

post #14 of 21 Old 01-11-2015, 07:34 PM

I will have to follow up with honeywell tomorrow on that. If I remember right you have to go into the settings and have it rediscover the network you want it to sync with. It should automatically determine which controller to use for there. It will also help solve the issues with it reaching your door lock.

I want to find a zwave sniffer remote when I get mine started. It allows you to see what devices it went through to see what would be controlling your lock. I had a honeywell rep show it to me and I believe it would help find issues in the zwave network.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-11-2015, 07:36 PM

And just to throw this out there bland. I believe you happen to be one of our customers.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-12-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
And just to throw this out there bland. I believe you happen to be one of our customers.
Quote:
I will have to follow up with honeywell tomorrow on that. If I remember right you have to go into the settings and have it rediscover the network you want it to sync with. It should automatically determine which controller to use for there. It will also help solve the issues with it reaching your door lock.

I want to find a zwave sniffer remote when I get mine started. It allows you to see what devices it went through to see what would be controlling your lock. I had a honeywell rep show it to me and I believe it would help find issues in the zwave network.
Quote:
Locally? OR PM me otherwise. What a small world

Well that would be great customer service!

The lock reliability is spotty. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. So, I can't rely on it. That information would be great!

Also, if you talk to your rep, the GE switches I use have a bright blue LED that I know can be dimmed. I can't do it through TotalConnect. Can I use a ZWAVE remote or something else to dim. Really bright!

I have many devices and all work very well, and similarly, my TSTAT that is furthest from the one Tuxedo is the last to change or respond to commands, etc - but still works.

Thanks!

post #17 of 21 Old 01-12-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Locally? OR PM me otherwise. What a small world

Well that would be great customer service!

Also, if you talk to your rep, the GE switches I use have a bright blue LED that I know can be dimmed. I can't do it through TotalConnect. Can I use a ZWAVE remote or something else to dim. Really bright!

Thanks!
I thought about this last night. It would just need a re sync to learn the correct routes to take. Like I said about the lock it will only go through a total of 4 nodes. The tstat can go up to 8 like any normal device, thats why it doesnt fall off the network as it is the last node away.

Get me some part numbers and I will take a look at what i can find out on it. Do you have any switches that are dimable on led lights? I amseeing if there is an issue being able to dim them with whats on the market right now.

Once I get the ability Ill send a pm to check if you are one of our customers.I would be located out of the national center. I deal with techs out in the field who have issues with the alarms.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my Schlage Camelot electronic deadbolt. I haven't installed it yet, but will soon, and will let you know how it works. It supports ZWave, so should work with any controller with supports that.

Quote:

Suggestions?
post #19 of 21 Old 01-13-2015, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I thought about this last night. It would just need a re sync to learn the correct routes to take. Like I said about the lock it will only go through a total of 4 nodes. The tstat can go up to 8 like any normal device, thats why it doesnt fall off the network as it is the last node away.

Get me some part numbers and I will take a look at what i can find out on it. Do you have any switches that are dimable on led lights? I amseeing if there is an issue being able to dim them with whats on the market right now.

Once I get the ability Ill send a pm to check if you are one of our customers.I would be located out of the national center. I deal with techs out in the field who have issues with the alarms.
Hard to know know if these all do zwave beaming but as far as I've seen in my research, most do. I know the Leviton, TSTATs and Linear do.
Leviton Light switchs Vizia RF+ VRMX1 light switches
GE 45609 ON/OFF light switches
GE Dimmers 45613
GE Lamp module 45602
Linear On?Off light switch WS15Z-1

Thanks!

Yes, the lock is hit or miss.

post #20 of 21 Old 01-13-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Hard to know know if these all do zwave beaming but as far as I've seen in my research, most do. I know the Leviton, TSTATs and Linear do.
Leviton Light switchs Vizia RF+ VRMX1 light switches
GE 45609 ON/OFF light switches
GE Dimmers 45613
GE Lamp module 45602
Linear On?Off light switch WS15Z-1

Thanks!

Yes, the lock is hit or miss.

from what I gathered from the manufactures today........ It is programmed to be either on when the light is on, or on all the time, or off. When asked how to do so, the advised it is deep into the programming of the zwave device. You would have to have a controller that would allow you to edit the device.............. With this being said, I can assure you to not hold a breath on having access to this feature in honeywell for a long time as I have been asking just for multipartition control from the keypad for more than 2 years...........

But I did verify all you have to do for the lock is install the keypad and set as slave. There is a button labeled as sync. It relearns your zwave network and you are good to go. Oh and all the new tuxedos should come with a memory card slot in the back now.
post #21 of 21 Old 01-14-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That is great info. Thanks! I think I'll just add the 2nd Tuxedo and do just that.

Now my current tuxedo wifi has an SD card slot (for loading photos for screen saver and firmware updates). Is there going to be a second SD card slot? A new model number to look for?

Again thanks so much!

Jeff

Reply Home Automation