Automating a hurricane shutter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SweetSpot

post #1 of 11 Old 04-07-2015, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Automating a hurricane shutter

It's basically a big roller shade, just made of Kevlar.

It's controlled with a SPDT Center Off switch. Like this one: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...&section=41454

Anyone ever done one like this? Insteon, Z-Wave, or Lutron based solutions would work. Or something else if I have to.

I think that I can use one of these: http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-mic...se-module.html, but it's limited to a 2.5amp motor load, which isn't enough. So I'm going to have to use a pair of NO relays as well. Which is going to take up more space in the switch box. So I'd like to find something that can either replace the switch directly, or doesn't need both a switch module and a relay.

Any ideas?

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-08-2015, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Bigger and/or deeper switch box possible?

Lutron Ra2 Powpak relay module typically installs outside the box, in a knockout.
http://www.tecnoliteaplicaciones.com...ron_prod_8.jpg

Call Spiwrx (Ra2 thread) to see how feasible it would be, with your install.

Last edited by Neurorad; 04-08-2015 at 09:57 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-08-2015, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The relay module could work, but I'd have to use two of them (one for up, one for down), and then a Pico for local control. The switch is normally installed in a shallow box in a stucco wall. I'm not sure installing these outside the switch box would work at all. Hmmm.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-08-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I'm guessing you could install them inside the junction box, but unsure. IIRC, gut remodel?

Would something like this work to give you a bigger box?

Power already run? Switches could be located remotely, out of sight in a closet.

Will you ever need to operate them remotely, e.g. out of town?

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 11 Old 04-08-2015, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No, all new construction. And yeah, the whole point of this is to be able to put them down if we're away from the house and a storm blows in unexpectedly. And just general HA stuff, like if we want to put them down at night and up in the morning for security reasons.

I'll talk to the electrician about it when we do the walk through after framing. We'll get something that will work.

joe
post #6 of 11 Old 04-09-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Need to know more about the shade assembly it's self. Does it have end switches to shut off the motor when it is all the way open or closed. That's kind of a biggie if you wish to do it remotely.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel View Post
Need to know more about the shade assembly it's self. Does it have end switches to shut off the motor when it is all the way open or closed. That's kind of a biggie if you wish to do it remotely.
Yes it has limit switches. Which, I agree, determines whether it can be safely operated remotely. But this thread was about what products are available to replicate the functionality of the manual switch. Do you have any suggestions for that?
post #8 of 11 Old 04-09-2015, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We've worked on several coastal home projects in the Caribbean and have used these to control various AC motorized storm shutters: http://www.crestron.com/resources/pr...t=1522&id=1304

You will need a basic Crestron processor to communicate with the controllers, and with that it could easily integrate with another system if desired.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-10-2015, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSpot View Post
We've worked on several coastal home projects in the Caribbean and have used these to control various AC motorized storm shutters: http://www.crestron.com/resources/pr...t=1522&id=1304

You will need a basic Crestron processor to communicate with the controllers, and with that it could easily integrate with another system if desired.
Hmm. Having to install a Crestron processor for this one device seems overkill, but thanks for the suggestion. At this point, I'm waiting on the shutter company to tell me how much current the motor(s) draw. Then I'll talk to the electrician about wiring possibilities.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-10-2015, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ahh...I guess I missed where this was just for a single shutter. Yeah, definitely overkill for that purpose.
Mr.Tim likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-10-2015, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, two shutters, actually. It's a fairly wide lanai opening. But still, probably overkill.

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page