Motorized Shades Experiences - How are yours? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 47 Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 99 View Post
Question for those who have bought / installed the Serena shades. Are they available in custom widths? I'm looking at the price list, and it says 32", 36", 42" etc. When you actually order, are they still fixed?

I'm setting up multiple shades across a large bank of tall floor-to-ceiling windows in a condo. Want to make sure they'll fit perfectly.
I ordered mine through Lowes at 20% off and a free bridge. Lowes took measurements and didn't ask if they were common or custom. I was informed that Lutron makes them from the order so i can only assume that custom is not an issue. Lutron subtracts 1/8 inch from the smallest width point of the 3 measurements for inside mount so keep this in mind. Lowes was cheaper than lutron and I had POM should something had gone wrong. + they substituted the smart bridge pro for the regular SB free with the order!
of note: some lowes stores say that they do not carry lutron shades but they do. In the order list its there they just have to find it. and also have them shipped to your house and not the store!They will try to tack on delivery if you ship to store.
Mine work great, all 14 shades, and drive cats and dogs crazy!!!

I do not condone what i do, but i will not deny myself the pleasure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 07-06-2016, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 99 View Post
Question for those who have bought / installed the Serena shades. Are they available in custom widths?
Yes. Down to 1/8" or so, both height and width. Take a look at the order form, it's all there.
post #33 of 47 Old 07-16-2016, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for your advice, I ordered 5x shades for my condo this week. I will report back once they're installed! (2-3 weeks.)

post #34 of 47 Old 08-07-2016, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 6 motorized blinds from Select Blinds. I didn’t do enough research before hand and thought they used Somfy motors/controls, but it turns out they use Simplicity. While they work fine so far with the remote that came with them, there doesn’t seem to be a bridge available to tie them into home automation. Does anyone here any experience with these controls?

I currently have Lutron Caséta lights with the Smart Bridge Pro 2 and I wish I had bought Serena shades in the first place.
post #35 of 47 Old 11-18-2016, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This is something I have been looking into as well and came across a few threads here on avs. If you have a existing shade you can buy motors from rollertrol. One of the models has a battery built inside the tube itself. The basic 12v models they offer look identical to what you can buy on ebay for $50. The small motors are for 1 inch tubes and the larger for 1.5.

The best shades use rollease tubing and have the fabric secured into it. There are so many different brands but its more about the tubing used, quality of fabric, and clutch or the electric motor that you want. There are actually kits online with this tubing and authentic rollease clutches if you make your own.

I'm a big fan of quality roller shades. Imo they are the best window covering unless you have some nice shutters. I could only find a few sites that specifically state their shades are made from rollease components. I ordered 3 of them for now. I haven't decided if I want to motorize or just use the loop chain. If you have a rollease clutch most people are very happy with that setup and you can secure the chain for safety. I don't think I could accomplish a clean install if I wired up motors and at the moment I feel it would make my window shades unnecessarily complicated.
post #36 of 47 Old 12-13-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHENDRIX View Post
I have 6 motorized blinds from Select Blinds. I didn’t do enough research before hand and thought they used Somfy motors/controls, but it turns out they use Simplicity. While they work fine so far with the remote that came with them, there doesn’t seem to be a bridge available to tie them into home automation. Does anyone here any experience with these controls?

I currently have Lutron Caséta lights with the Smart Bridge Pro 2 and I wish I had bought Serena shades in the first place.
I'm playing with the morning rising 12v DC motors on Amazon.

I cracked open the remote Control. Basically for Control4 I can solder 6 wires to up down and stop on the pcb, connect to 3 relays and automate away.

I also bought the 5 channel remote as a backup. I have a couple of Windows I need to reset the drop height spring and fall when the window aircondotioners are removed.

Bought the somfy 8 battery tube to power these. If I lived in Romex world I would have got the 90-250 v ones but as in wall 110 needs to be BX here I decided against those.

The one in our bedroom.witj a 90 in drop is hooked to a spare 12v led power supply.

Working great as designed. Next for the soldier project to make the automation box. Should be done for under $100 a Windows.
post #37 of 47 Old 02-07-2017, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast22 View Post
I have a big picture window that faces Southwest. The morning sun blasts into the house and directly in line with my Founten automated thermostat, causing the system to think its much warmer than it really is. So, I need to install automated roller/solar shades because the window is about 15 feet up on the wall. The shades will be battery operated and the window is about 7ftW x 6ftH.

The prices I'm getting for automated shades are off the charts. I looked at Lutron, Hunter Douglas, Qmotion and Somfy. I'm going to install myself, but the estimates are between $600 and $800!! This will be a stand alone unit, not tied into the home automation.

Would appreciate any recent experience with motorized shades that you would be able to share.
My experience with Somfy automated shades has not been good. I just posted this elsewhere but this may be the correct place:

SOMFY AUTOMATED WINDOW SHADE INTERMITTENT FAILURE

We are looking for help with a SOMFY Windows Shade issue.

We have three SOMFY shades in three adjoining rooms in a condo apartment. Each is plugged into a 110-volt outlet and each is controlled by a separate remote control that can usually operate the shades from across the room.

On a random basis – which could be once a day, or once a week or longer – or perhaps at times we are not aware of – the shades stop working! Pushing the remote button does nothing. Sometimes, we can operate a shade by holding the remote right up against the power-antenna wire, but sometimes that doesn’t work either.

Then, after an unpredictable period of time – could be hours or more than a day - , the operation returns back to normal. The building engineer says that nobody else has reported this issue.

Our dealer has been out several times and cannot diagnose the problem. We have talked with several people at SOMFY who believe that some piece of electrical equipment is interfering with SOMFY’s 133 MhZ remote signal. But based on our location, it isn’t an airport, radio station or nearby alarm system. They refuse to admit that this is a systemic flaw but cannot resolve the issue which has been recurring for years to the point that we are out of warranty.

Their best suggestion is that, at our expense, we have the dealer replace the motors with “four pole” motors so that an override switch can be added and used when the remote system fails. While we will price this out, we are reluctant to sink any more money in, what has been for us, a defective product.

What we would like to know is:

-Has anyone else had a similar issue with Somfy random failures?
-If so, did you find out what caused it?
-Even if you’ve never had a failure, any thoughts about the cause?
-What should we do now?

Thank you.
post #38 of 47 Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Does anyone make an easy install motor that can control just the twisty part of the blinds? I would love to do something like this throughout the house but I don't want to replace 15 blinds when we already have nice ones. We never ever pull the blinds up, all I would need is the part that twists them open and closed.

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
post #39 of 47 Old 02-10-2017, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Does anyone make an easy install motor that can control just the twisty part of the blinds? I would love to do something like this throughout the house but I don't want to replace 15 blinds when we already have nice ones. We never ever pull the blinds up, all I would need is the part that twists them open and closed.
Somfy. There maybe others but I'm not aware of them. I've looked at the Somfy motors for my 10 blinds bc I want to incorporate them in to my home automation system using Somfy's ZRTS Z-wave module. The motors will run you about $125 and a battery wand to power each motor is about $25. There are various Somfy remote controls that you can purchase to control the open and close function of the slats. Those remotes will run you anywhere from approximately $40 to $65.

XBL: Stunt1on1

Last edited by ahard; 02-10-2017 at 05:17 AM.
post #40 of 47 Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Tl;Dr. You can buy a whole new or new parts to motorize and transfer the fabric.

Depending on existing roller tube size you can retrofit a motor.

You will need to change both ends hardware that attached the blind to the building to that for the motor as well as add the motor.

If the roller is too small you can get a new tube as well as new motors and then that tube will have a line of tape on it. You unroll the old manual blind and tape the shade to the new blind. The rolls have rib lines on them so you tape the fabric level.
post #41 of 47 Old 02-11-2017, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Did any one had success integrating Hunter Douglas Power rise platinum, cordless, motorized blinds with Control 4?
post #42 of 47 Old 08-15-2017, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have SOMA Smart Shades installed and works great so far. Solar panel was included and I am running them on scheduled routine. Now I am waiting the Alexa voice control which they promised in August.

Hope this helps.
post #43 of 47 Old 08-23-2017, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
My Lutron motorized shade is my favorite part of my kitchen remodel. Down at 8P, up at 6:30A, controlled with RA2.
Neurorad - was there any close competition to Lutron before you selected this? Also curious if you have this integrated into any HA, if so which brand?
post #44 of 47 Old 09-18-2017, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Hello All,
I'm building a sunroom which have 6 (22 * 71 inches) skylights and I would like to hardwire for the automated shades. I have 2 days to complete the wiring.
1). What kind of wiring do I use to power these shades?
2). I would like to build these shades myself rather that going with brands like lutron, Serena etc. What all the materials I need to get to do a DIY automated shade.
3). How do I control them? Do I need to install a switch? What kind?

Pls help

Thanks.
post #45 of 47 Old 09-18-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Add 4 core speaker wire 4/12 and a cat cable. That should be enough cable to control any blind.
post #46 of 47 Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Add 4 core speaker wire 4/12 and a cat cable. That should be enough cable to control any blind.
Thanks a lot SMHarman. I have a 14 gauge speaker wire and cat6 and hopefully that can take care of the wiring. Can you advice on my other 2 questions?

2). I would like to build these shades myself rather that going with brands like lutron, Serena etc. What all the materials I need to get to do a DIY automated shade.
post #47 of 47 Old 09-18-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackforceus View Post
Thanks a lot SMHarman. I have a 14 gauge speaker wire and cat6 and hopefully that can take care of the wiring. Can you advice on my other 2 questions?

Those are tough questions. I'm guessing no automation system you want to interface to at present.

Av outlet allows you to build your own.

You can get motors they sell or another motor.

I got morning rising motors from Amazon.

Depending on the blind depends on how you control. The morning rising have rf remotes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Tags
diy , shades

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page