AVS Forum banner

Need suggestions- whole house automation

554 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  gerard143 
#1 ·
Hi
Recently I went with HTD wireless whole house audio solution and it was loved by everyone in home.
I started looking more into making it easy to use and came to conclusion that I need to look at comprehensive solution that can easily be used in home with ease.
Here is what I desire...
1. whole house audio control (touch panel) with pandora, amazon. airplay and server support
2. Home security mainly ability to arm and disarm (I just bought simplysafe2 system but I can still return it)
3. garage door operation (I have traditional garage door for now, which could be replaced)
4. Video surveillance ( I have 3x hikvision 1080p camera wired with poe and synology server for now)
5. wireless and/or bluetooth operated door locks (front and back door)
6. potentially at some point sprinkler system and control.
7. fire, carbon monoxide, gas and water leak sensor integration would be great along with thermostat but not required.

I can dedicate ipad for all operation and make it stationary..so should I wait for homekit to develop and see easier integration?
Should I explore irule?
Should I look into alarmgrid and z wave tech with honeywell?
Overall I dont like recurring fees but understand that they may be needed
I like diy solutions
Thanks for all help

See less See more
#2 ·
All or the majority of your requirements can be accomplished with Control4. However, that is not DIY.

The only DIY route now is to program the hub and the app by yourself. I started dabbling around with Vera but have decided to wait for Windows 10 which supposedly will have built-in support for home automation. I am working now on a service and app code to control my Monoprice multi-zone amp.

#3 ·
Hey there -

I'm not a fan of control 4, its expensive and very proprietary. It's a great choice for someone who has a lot of money to burn, and doesn't want to do anything themselves. But it does work well.

My preference is to roll it myself. I'm a DIY guy... so this response is based on how I have built my own solution :)

The audio req is something a UPNP audio component could do a lot of. Russsound is a giant and has very high quality components (REALLY AWESOME STUFF). My home audio is controlled by MPD and is a huge pain to configure but done once, it doesn't have to be messed with.

What I did was use a software mixer, so wired up alerts like the garage door opening - it makes a chime in the house. If the doors open, a different chime. etc.

The linear garage door controller and iphone talk (geofencing), and when I'm driving >5 mph and within 300 yards it opens the door. The garage door unlocks, and if its dark, the lights in the kitchen come on.

Security is all based on zwave components. There are a lot of options, some better then others.
There are Alarms, PIR motion sensors, window sensors, glass break sensors, smoke and carbon dioxide sensors, water sensors, valves, etc. I love the zwave stuff - no wires. You will want to set up a script to alert you when batteries get low.

My controller is a Vera Edge. I love it, its very cheap and is wide open to my tinkering. I also have a deep respect for Fibaro Home Control 2. It isn't open like the Vera but has more features, and the UI is much more polished. The Fibaro also supports LUA scripting like the Vera as well.

How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go?
:D

#4 ·
Simplisafe is garbage compared to a Honeywell vista panel and 5800 series wireless sensors matched to a tuxedo touch panel. It's like comparing a Ferrari to a yugo. It's also easy to drop $1500 on a 1500 sq foot home for complete coverage. But it's the real deal.

Recurring fees are only necessary when you need constant third party monitoring solutions. If you happy with an alarm alert to your phone then skip the fees.

What's your budget. Then you can get a solid answer. Is it not worth spending a tad more to not have a 16 diff app hodgepodge DIY solution with poor integration?

The biggest key is to start with a solid controller and work outward. One that has the capability to control most of the big name brands. 2 way ip drivers, ir control ports and command database, rs232, contact closures, etc. You want touchscreen control and idevice control to so that brand must offer that as well. To control it all under one interface or one app you need a control system with a customizable user interface.

Sure Vera can handle some zwave stuff but you might find it (and similar solutions) rather limited down the road.

Everyone's different. Some guys love the DIY stuff and don't mind 16 apps to get the job done. Of course everyone's budget varies drastically too. Spend hundreds it's hard to get a solid solution. Spend a few thousand and your in a whole diff league.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.