AVS Forum banner

control4 wifi bridge network

709 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SMHarman 
#1 ·
I just bought a new home with a Control4 system. Although I love the idea of home automation, and am a computer professional, I am really not happy with what seems like hand tying (one step beyond hand holding).

They did a terrible job of installing the gear in a utility room, and promised to come back but never did. So I moved the amp and wifi bridge to the living room. The bridge is wired ethernet and when I go to my phone, it's not there as an airplay source. I don't even know where to start troubleshooting.

Also, how do I manage the system in general? I have this equipment (and my pricing estimates, just copying and pasting from my list):

Panamax MR4000 surge protector power conditioner $140
Control4 4 Zone Amp (C4-8AMP1-B) $1200
Control4 C4-WMB-B Music Bridge $300
Control4 C4-HC250-BL-1A controller $600
Wirepath WPS-100-DVR-4CH 4 channel DVR $450
Luxul XGS-1008 8 port gig-e switch $100
WPS-565-DOM-A-BL camera x 3 480i/p (not sure) analog - can’t find price
WPS-BAL-VP balun (probably $20 each)
C4-APD120-WH dimmer switches $180 x 3
C4-KA-WH aux keypad x 3 can’t find price
C4-FP1-WH faceplates x 3 can’t find price
iPort IPT 70142 launchport charger $200
iPad mini retina 16GB with 3G - $500
iPort IPT 70305 ipad sleeve $140
Phase Technology CI6.0IX QM Micro Kit wall speakers $200 x 2
Phase Technology SPF-25 outdoor speakers $200 x 2

See less See more
#2 ·
Prices on the C4 gear seem reasonable for sure. Who recommended this dealer? Sounds like it was a new home build and this was part of the build. If that is the case, some contractor should be on the hook. There should be a punch list of things to get done before final payment is rendered. That should be whether you worked through a contractor and they sub'd the C4 work to someone, or if you found your own C4 person. You should always have payment plans and keep a chunk to the end that you agree to pay when 100% done. If the wiring is messy, if the programming is not completed, then you do not make the final payment until its complete.

Did any of this work before you moved the equipment? Perhaps IP addresses changed if the devices were not set as static. That is why I am curious if it was working at any given point.

Once hardware is added, you can purchase (1 time purchase) Composer Home Edition. You cannot add new hardware/drivers, but you can do all the programming once the devices are added. I believe its $150 or $200, been a while since I purchased it so I forget. Also comes with 1 free year of remote/app log in service too.

#4 ·
If a dealer other than the one who sold and installed it remotes in and does stuff, and it goes bad, who does the warranty work? for example, if they brick the control module, would control4 provide a new one, or can they claim that the work was not authorized, simply because it wasn't MY installer.

#5 · (Edited)
If you pick Ak1 or Neil (I use Neil personally) or any other dealer remote or local, YOU go into YOUR C4 account and YOU pick YOUR dealer of choice. They are now YOUR dealer. You see my point. These guys are certified/authorized C4 dealers/techs.

I've been with Neil for a year or so. He saved my system from a poor install. I now have a smooth system with tons of bells and whistles we've added as we've gone along. It started with fixing a few things but now we are adding fun and new stuff.

#7 ·
Lorenzo - I get a quote for the service, but it usually includes a driver or hardware plus installation/programming time. To give you an idea, I got a new to Neil IP Video Matrix switch. He had never sold/installed one from this vendor before. He didnt want me to overpay for install time because he was unsure of how long it would take, so he only charged me for like 1-2 hours (what it took to install similar systems in the past for him) and of course it took more to install, program etc since it was his first time. So he was fair and ethical and did not make me pay so he could learn on the job.

If I break it down, I think he charges about half of what my original dealer was charging me for programming. But lots of time (both dealers) an invoice would say "XYZ Driver + 2 hours of programming = $200". I do not get caught up in the cost of the driver, the cost of the programming per hour. I say, is XYZ Driver worth $200 to me and if yes I do it. If Neil is charging me $195 in labor and $5 for the driver, or $195 for the driver and $5 for labor, that is his business. As a consumer, is there value in $200, if so, I do it.

And I find tons of value in the pricing and service I get from Neil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.