Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-16-2015, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Crestron Pro2 help

Sigh, my Crestron setup has been rock solid for 5 years but now the Pro2 will not power up. Are there any fuses or something simple? Doubtful I know. If not, should I replace it with used unit or send in for repair? Or just upgrade to series 3? I acquired the unit when I purchased the house so I do not have any receipts or know who the original equipment was sold from. I had it reprogrammed by a caip. The lighting zones in the theater are Crestron so it is my only real option unless I have lighting rewired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-16-2015, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sounds like the internal power supply died. You can alternatively power the PRO2 via the Cresnet port with an external 24VDC power supply. Crestron can also repair the internal power supply as well.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-16-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Do you still have the contact info for the CAIP? Can you get the original program?

How many zones of lighting?

post #4 of 9 Old 10-16-2015, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSpot View Post
Sounds like the internal power supply died. You can alternatively power the PRO2 via the Cresnet port with an external 24VDC power supply. Crestron can also repair the internal power supply as well.
Thanks. I wonder what they charge to replace the power supply? Used units are dirt cheap on fleabay but then have to pay to reinstall the files and who knows what condition they are really in.

Yes, I have the files. Emailed and called the caip but haven't heard back. There are 8 lighting zones in the theater.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-19-2015, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 350Z View Post
Thanks. I wonder what they charge to replace the power supply? Used units are dirt cheap on fleabay but then have to pay to reinstall the files and who knows what condition they are really in.

Yes, I have the files. Emailed and called the caip but haven't heard back. There are 8 lighting zones in the theater.
I think I am done with Crestron and will try Control4.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-19-2015, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I didn't think the pro2 could use cresnet power but I could be mistaken. When doing power calcs that's listed as having 50w available, I thought. If it can be, then you just need a 75w power supply and you're all set.

You don't need a caip to install the files...anyone with the software should be able to do that in minutes.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-19-2015, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVO View Post
I didn't think the pro2 could use cresnet power but I could be mistaken. When doing power calcs that's listed as having 50w available, I thought. If it can be, then you just need a 75w power supply and you're all set.

You don't need a caip to install the files...anyone with the software should be able to do that in minutes.
I have 75watt cresnet power supply connected, as well as pad8a and xm tuner and there is no power to Pro2 or pad8a.

Yeah but finding someone with the software who wont charge a fortune is the problem. All the local AV installers seem to be moving away from Crestron and don't want anything to do with it.

Last edited by A&M 350Z; 10-19-2015 at 06:59 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-19-2015, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I wouldn't give up too quickly on your hardware, unless you really want a change. It's designed to be serviced and last a good long while.

But if you want something different, go for it. Home AV and lighting is a toy, IMO, have some fun with it.

Though if WAF is high, and your sports or stories are critical, then hire someone. You can get pretty close, though, with DIY, if you put the time and effort into it.

Crestron is in an odd place now. They're releasing software that provides for very easy installs, with very simple programming, that may not provide the installer with much margin - for basic installs. Google Crestron Pyng. I haven't gotten my head wrapped around it myself, yet, hard to understand the business model.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-20-2015, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not sure I understand the concept behind Pyng either, especially with it lacking inherent av integration. I wonder if it could control Crestron panelized lighting? Still trying to work through what to do. I do like the stability of our system but our touch panels are quite old and while ipad gui is clean, it is nothing fancy. Upgrading to series 3 and new program is probably outside of my budget even if I puchase and install myself and hire a programmer. For a fraction of the cost, I could upgrade to Control4. I really like the Rhapsody, Pandora and Apple integration available with Control4 as we currently are doing the 2 app solution with Crestron. It would also allow me to integrate the Radiora2 install I just finished. I hadnt proceeded with that on the Crestron system due to programming cost.

At least locally, the small and mid size installs seem to be mostly Control4 with Crestron reserved for the 20k sq ft home installs (though even some of those are Control4 now). DIY would be great if I had more time. Really, the most I have done with Crestron is the hardware install and using toolbox to upload files. Otw, I don't even have the software.

Anyways, just kind of thinking out loud so thanks for the suggestion. You neuro guys are much smarter the us bone rads!

Last edited by A&M 350Z; 10-20-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page