General Question about how to consolidate multiple switches into one scene controller - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-2016, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
General Question about how to consolidate multiple switches into one scene controller

Hey guys so I'm looking at insteon scene controllers. In my new construction kitchen i will have many switches (ceiling tray, can lights, pendant lights, under cabinet lights) How do I go about putting them all in one of those neat organized wall scene switches I see. How does it work generally. Do people put all the switches in a remote location like a basement utility room, then pair those switches to a scene controller located in the kitchen on the wall? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-2016, 10:47 AM

Liked: 1
Not a specific answer to your question, but the guidance I received was to put two keypad / scene controllers where rooms come together / at any external doors. That allows you to assign a single keypad to each room, which makes things much easier to use. For example, we put two keypads on the wall between the kitchen and the dining room - one controls the kitchen and the other controls the dining room. Same goes for between the kitchen and the backdoor - one does welcome/goodbye/external lights, and the other controls the kitchen lights.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-19-2016, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP14 View Post
Not a specific answer to your question, but the guidance I received was to put two keypad / scene controllers where rooms come together / at any external doors. That allows you to assign a single keypad to each room, which makes things much easier to use. For example, we put two keypads on the wall between the kitchen and the dining room - one controls the kitchen and the other controls the dining room. Same goes for between the kitchen and the backdoor - one does welcome/goodbye/external lights, and the other controls the kitchen lights.
Ok so then did you have the primary switches for each light still on the main rooms wall? like kitchen you had a switch for the pendants, a switch for the ceiling cans, a switch for the cabinet under lighting etc.?

post #4 of 5 Old 07-19-2016, 12:32 PM

We used combination keypads/dimmers. Although we didn't go with Insteon, it does look like they offer something similar.

We spread the hybrid keypads/dimmers around the room in the different locations where a keypad was needed. In the rooms where we needed additional lighting control (switch/dimmer) but didn't need another keypad, we put the switch/dimmer in a hidden location. Because it was just 2-3 places where this was needed, we did not centralize them - we just hid them in a closet close by the room where the light is.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-19-2016, 12:48 PM

Also, lighting compatibility is not what it used to be when everything was incandescent - spend the time now before install to make sure that the lights are compatible with the dimmers. Lutron and Crestron offer compatibility information on their websites - I don't know how Insteon provides that information.

For us, the can and pendant lights were easy - took a bit of research to find compatible under cabinet lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page