Ring Video Doorbell - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-25-2017, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ring Video Doorbell

Just installed the Ring Doorbell 2 and really like the notification and feature set.

My house was built in 2001 so it has a NUTONE intercom system which I removed the outdoor speaker and patched over with a nice white piece of wood. What remains is an unused ethernet cable. Two of the wires from the ethernet cable went to the old doorbell button and have 9v DC running through them and the rest of the wires are unused in the twisted pairs. All the nutone devices have ethernet cable to them but only use like one or two wires out of the twisted pair. There is a nutone "hub" in the basement, I'm not sure what it does or if it's a control panel?

Anyway, unfortunately, the RING doorbells are only designed to handle AC which I don't think I should be trying to run through ethernet cable.

SO, should I try to figure out where the ethernet from the front door old intercom goes to in the basement and see if I can PoE it or not risk it could be somehow tied into the doorbell on the wall? I guess it's time to break out the voltmeter?

anyone run into this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-31-2017, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mersimps0n View Post
Just installed the Ring Doorbell 2 and really like the notification and feature set.

My house was built in 2001 so it has a NUTONE intercom system which I removed the outdoor speaker and patched over with a nice white piece of wood. What remains is an unused ethernet cable. Two of the wires from the ethernet cable went to the old doorbell button and have 9v DC running through them and the rest of the wires are unused in the twisted pairs. All the nutone devices have ethernet cable to them but only use like one or two wires out of the twisted pair. There is a nutone "hub" in the basement, I'm not sure what it does or if it's a control panel?

Anyway, unfortunately, the RING doorbells are only designed to handle AC which I don't think I should be trying to run through ethernet cable.

SO, should I try to figure out where the ethernet from the front door old intercom goes to in the basement and see if I can PoE it or not risk it could be somehow tied into the doorbell on the wall? I guess it's time to break out the voltmeter?

anyone run into this?
I think that a low voltage AC circuit that would "trickle charge" the Ring Doorbell 2 can be handled over CAT 5 wiring, but I am not an electrical engineer. I am currently doing just this without problem. Would like to have expert input.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-01-2017, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It would be no issue using the cat 5 cable for low voltage AC.
Pair them up to save voltage drop.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-27-2017, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I've done it, no problem. Quad tie up the wires each for + and - if you'd like.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-11-2017, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Dumb question. Does anybody know if the accessory (Chime) for this can be "hacked" to use your own ring chimes? I know that you can download some new ones but I was wondering if perhaps they are stored somewhere in a file or something that can be access and you can use your own files.

Anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page