Looking for a camera security system. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 69 Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Wright View Post
nuraman00>

(enclosed screen shot at 4K)

Software is determined by the NVR brand and model. So select wisely.

I spend a lot of time not in front of my TV but on a PC every day. I use IE for CCTV cameras but Chrome for everything else. When I open IE the 4x4 (16 camera) display is the home page. Nothing could be easier. Because it is a browser window I can change shape and size at will. I can choose to monitor 1,4,9 or 16 cameras. Watching 16 cameras in a browser is a load on the network but not so much on the CPU or GPU.
How do you feel about cameras inside? I see you have several, including one in the garage (if one wants to consider that "inside").

A few weeks ago, I was thinking of putting two cameras inside, where I currently have motion detectors as a part of my alarm system.

But out of all of the site evaluations, the one installer that came on-site suggested instead just to have great overlapping coverage outdoors rather than a little less outdoors + 2 indoors. (With a 5-8 camera purchase, as opposed to a greater amount).

He suggested that the increased overlapping coverage outdoors would be more beneficial.

He also said that people sometimes act funny or are self conscious if they know they're being recorded.

He said if I wanted to, I could later expand and keep indoor cameras when going on long vacations.

To me, that made sense. If I'm starting out with 8 cameras, and given the areas he showed where he'd place them, I could get better coverage outdoors.

If I wanted to expand in the future, I could add 2 where the motion sensors are, indoors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 09-15-2017, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have any recommendations on a wall mountable 4K monitor? I think a 21 or 22" is fine. Probably a max of 41 or 42".
post #63 of 69 Old 09-15-2017, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 28
> How do you feel about cameras inside?

Confrontations frequently come down to two sides of the same story. Cameras never lie. One camera shows my front door in profile view, another shows my tool box and another both garage doors. Another camera is in the hallway one must traverse between two halves of the house.

In NM, in the small town where I lived, a woman called the police when she discovered a man in her house. The police found him hiding behind her shower curtain. The burglar/rapist offered: "Can't a guy take a leak in peace?"

Generally when one has a crime documented on video the other side pleads no-contest or starts looking for a plea bargain.

I have no cameras in any bed room or bathroom where anyone would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

I had 8 cameras total, 7 outside, one inside. When I needed more cameras more than 16 would be overkill. So when I added 8 more cameras 5 were external, 3 were internal. I put an immense amount of thought into camera placement and I have zero regrets.

My system has no microphones, I record no audio. In PA it is illegal to record someone's voice without their consent. A microphone or recording device in plain sight is considered implied consent In the state of PA. If I thought it helpful I'd have a microphone in plane view at my front door. Recording audio is covered under "wire-taping" statutes and laws vary greatly from state to state.

Recording video is subject to different laws, generally you have no reasonable expectation to privacy in public. You do have a reasonable expectation of privacy in a bathroom or bedroom, even someone else's as long as you arrived their by legal means.

You write that you are worried about home invasion? If the folks get arrested or leave you for dead no doubt they will have an excuse why and how you knew them and owed them money or some other excuse.

Confrontations frequently come down to two sides of the same story. Cameras never lie.

Judges and juries pull back when there are two credible sides to a story. In contrast when the episode is on tape the perpetrators get zero sympathy and they get the maximum sentence.

I know someone who's house was robbed of maybe $100,000 in jewelry. They think it was a house keeper who had a key. If they had her (housekeeper) on video emptying the jewelry box the woman would never get out of jail.

System: (2) NASs with 40TB of movies and music; Oppo 105D DAT and optical drive; Rotel RC-1590 Pre-Amp; Yamaha M2 power amp; Magnepan MG 3.7i speakers; 65" Samsung TV

post #64 of 69 Old 09-15-2017, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
> How do you feel about cameras inside?

Confrontations frequently come down to two sides of the same story. Cameras never lie. One camera shows my front door in profile view, another shows my tool box and another both garage doors. Another camera is in the hallway one must traverse between two halves of the house.

In NM, in the small town where I lived, a woman called the police when she discovered a man in her house. The police found him hiding behind her shower curtain. The burglar/rapist offered: "Can't a guy take a leak in peace?"

Generally when one has a crime documented on video the other side pleads no-contest or starts looking for a plea bargain.

I have no cameras in any bed room or bathroom where anyone would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

I had 8 cameras total, 7 outside, one inside. When I needed more cameras more than 16 would be overkill. So when I added 8 more cameras 5 were external, 3 were internal. I put an immense amount of thought into camera placement and I have zero regrets.

My system has no microphones, I record no audio. In PA it is illegal to record someone's voice without their consent. A microphone or recording device in plain sight is considered implied consent In the state of PA. If I thought it helpful I'd have a microphone in plane view at my front door. Recording audio is covered under "wire-taping" statutes and laws vary greatly from state to state.

Recording video is subject to different laws, generally you have no reasonable expectation to privacy in public. You do have a reasonable expectation of privacy in a bathroom or bedroom, even someone else's as long as you arrived their by legal means.

You write that you are worried about home invasion? If the folks get arrested or leave you for dead no doubt they will have an excuse why and how you knew them and owed them money or some other excuse.

Confrontations frequently come down to two sides of the same story. Cameras never lie.

Judges and juries pull back when there are two credible sides to a story. In contrast when the episode is on tape the perpetrators get zero sympathy and they get the maximum sentence.

I know someone who's house was robbed of maybe $100,000 in jewelry. They think it was a house keeper who had a key. If they had her (housekeeper) on video emptying the jewelry box the woman would never get out of jail.
Thanks for sharing all of this.

That is scary about that intruder hiding behind the shower curtain.

Quote:

I don't know if "worried" is the right word. But it happened on 7/31, and that's what prompted me to start looking into a camera security system. So that if something happened another time, I'd have some footage.
post #65 of 69 Old 09-16-2017, 08:59 AM

> That is scary about that intruder hiding behind the shower curtain.

And on the 8th day John Browning created the model 70 1911 colt in 45 ACP.

System: (2) NASs with 40TB of movies and music; Oppo 105D DAT and optical drive; Rotel RC-1590 Pre-Amp; Yamaha M2 power amp; Magnepan MG 3.7i speakers; 65" Samsung TV
post #66 of 69 Old 09-16-2017, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations on a wall mountable 4K monitor? I think a 21 or 22" is fine. Probably a max of 41 or 42".
What do you think about this monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-24UD58-B-2...words=24UD58-B

And this wall mount?

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-ML1...esa+wall+mount

I've not been a fan of LG before, but it seems to meet the requirements of it being a 4K monitor with VESA mounting.
post #67 of 69 Old 09-24-2017, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

What do you think about this. If I get a TV with built in Wi Fi, what if I were to use that TV's web interface to view the cameras? Would I still be viewing it at 4K?

If so, would that be better/easier than using a HDMI extender from the NVR?

If so, I could perhaps get the NVR model with 1 HDMI. Connect that to my 1080p TV downstairs.

Then use the new 4K TV's web interface upstairs to view it at 4K.

Do you think there would be any issues with lag or something?
post #68 of 69 Old 09-24-2017, 07:19 PM

> What do you think about this. If I get a TV...

As I said above, my software on my PC requires both a ULR and a port designation. My Samsung TVs are unable to port designate, Maybe your TV will be able to. One or two HD may work over WIFI, I know my 16 medium rez cameras will keep my Gbit Ethernet network rather busy. I am a big fan of hard wire for bandwidth and reliability.

post #69 of 69 Old 09-24-2017, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
> What do you think about this. If I get a TV...

As I said above, my software on my PC requires both a ULR and a port designation. My Samsung TVs are unable to port designate, Maybe your TV will be able to. One or two HD may work over WIFI, I know my 16 medium rez cameras will keep my Gbit Ethernet network rather busy. I am a big fan of hard wire for bandwidth and reliability.
Thanks, good point. Since this TV is to only be used for monitoring, I wouldn't want it to use Wi Fi bandwidth 24/7. HDMI bandwidth would be better (although even that would be using the HDMI extender which has a transmitter and receiver, so not 100% hardwired).

I think you also mentioned the port problem earlier. I just forgot, since there's different aspects of this that I've been thinking about.

Thanks for bringing it up again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page