Ring Doorbell Pro and automatic lighting - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-10-2017, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ring Doorbell Pro and automatic lighting

I'm new to this automation stuff and would need your help in setting it up. I just installed the Ring Doorbell Pro and would like to turn on the porch light when someone at the door. I don't have anything on the porch light/switch yet. What do I need to buy to make that happen?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibap View Post
I'm new to this automation stuff and would need your help in setting it up. I just installed the Ring Doorbell Pro and would like to turn on the porch light when someone at the door. I don't have anything on the porch light/switch yet. What do I need to buy to make that happen?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
The Ring can't do this on its own. You'd need to replace the porch light switch with a "smart" light switch. Both the "smart" light switch and the Ring would need to talk to each other. You need a hub that will allow them the two devices to talk with each other. Samsung Smartthings would be where I would start to look.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #3 of 5 Old 08-26-2017, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
+1 on Smart Things. Pair it with a Leviton Zwave switch/dimmer and off you go. There are many options here. Will you ever expand it past the doorbell and the one light?

post #4 of 5 Old 08-28-2017, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTILAC View Post
+1 on Smart Things. Pair it with a Leviton Zwave switch/dimmer and off you go. There are many options here. Will you ever expand it past the doorbell and the one light?
Funny that you replied to this thread. 5 days after I posted my reply I installed a Ring doorbell, Smartthings hub, Honeywell Z-wave thermostat, Linear/Go Control Z-wave garage door controller, 2 Leviton Z-wave light switches and several GE/Jasco Z-wave light switches at my sister's home. She wanted to do the same thing that the original poster wanted. The only way that I was able to accomplish the task without using some random person's app from the Smartthings community, which my sister didn't want to do, was to use IFTTT as the connection between Smartthings, the Leviton switches and Ring. Everything works the way that it should but there's a 20 second delay between when the doorbell is rung and the front porch light activates. But my sister is okay with the delay. I use IFTTT everyday in my home automation setup, which is all Z-wave and running on the Nexia hub system and I don't experience any delays with IFTTT.

Off topic, but having installed the Leviton Z-wave switches for the 1st time after having 4 years of experience with the Jasco/GE Z-wave switches; I must say that I like the look and feel of the GE Z-wave switches more than the Leviton. The GE switches are also much easier to include into a Z-wave network.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #5 of 5 Old 08-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
Funny that you replied to this thread. 5 days after I posted my reply I installed a Ring doorbell, Smartthings hub, Honeywell Z-wave thermostat, Linear/Go Control Z-wave garage door controller, 2 Leviton Z-wave light switches and several GE/Jasco Z-wave light switches at my sister's home. She wanted to do the same thing that the original poster wanted. The only way that I was able to accomplish the task without using some random person's app from the Smartthings community, which my sister didn't want to do, was to use IFTTT as the connection between Smartthings, the Leviton switches and Ring. Everything works the way that it should but there's a 20 second delay between when the doorbell is rung and the front porch light activates. But my sister is okay with the delay. I use IFTTT everyday in my home automation setup, which is all Z-wave and running on the Nexia hub system and I don't experience any delays with IFTTT.

Off topic, but having installed the Leviton Z-wave switches for the 1st time after having 4 years of experience with the Jasco/GE Z-wave switches; I must say that I like the look and feel of the GE Z-wave switches more than the Leviton. The GE switches are also much easier to include into a Z-wave network.
I was going to say you should probably get a smart home hub and use IFTTT. That's probably one of the easiest ways to do what OP wants.

Google home for example
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page