Some help getting into Smart Homes? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-31-2017, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Some help getting into Smart Homes?

Hello there ,

Over the past few months I've grown fond with the topic of home automation and smart homes. So fond in fact that I've joined together with a team at my university to research a bit on the subject. We've looked into the variety of products serving this market but we still need some help from groups and communities like here at the AVS forum to give us a bit of a person-to-person perspective.

We are a team of students in the Department of Computer Science at Aalto University, Finland. As mentioned, we are performing a home automation survey trying to guide our research. The research has a development nature, and we are trying to make clear our possible scenarios for future development so that we can plan our use of communication protocols and systems design.

For the team, it would help us a great deal if you could copy and modify the survey link, then fill it: goo[dot]gl/forms/qUmVR5HnNFH8AYUm2
(Sorry, I am a newbie to the forum, it won't let me post a direct link)

As for me personally, giving advice and opening a discussion below about specific products to automate some basic functions of my home, would also be great. I am currently looking into lighting, for example, as well as hub (like SmarThings) vs hub-less product interactions. I'd appreciate suggestions from people who have gone down that road.

Thank you a whole bunch in advance for your support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-01-2017, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Products to automate:

--Automatic hallway lights and stairway/fixture lights.... when you approach, your way is automatically lit so you never walk a dimly lit hall/stairs. Then the lights time out and turn themselves off IF no-one is in that area after the timeout period.

--Automatic exterior lights...programmed for astronomical time clock (example, exterior lights on -10min sunset, off at +20min sunrise).

--Music softly automated on and off at programmed times, and to get advanced, music playlist based on which person is present.

--Automatic annunciation of things such as weather and/news in the morning, based on room occupancy.

--Automated Climate control based on occupancy and time.

--Automated shade control based on position of the sun relative to the windows....with override functions.

--Mobile phone Alerts, system flashing lights or sounds based on doorbell ring.

--Automated lighting colour changes to enhance ambiance based on time/events/triggers.

--automated door locks based on arrival, departure, time of day, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Tags
home automation , hub , smart home , smartthings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page