Smart Shades Recommendation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-02-2017, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smart Shades Recommendation

I am looking for a recommendation for Smart Shades.

I am going to be renting my home out as a Vacation Rental often and will need to be able to remotely control them when I am not home. I have a SmartThings Hub, Nest Thermostat and Android Phone. I would not be opposed to purchasing a Bridge that is designed for the Smart Shades if needed.

I will be living in the home for at least half of the year so would like to be able to set up Schedules for when they open and close. Then remotely disable/enable the Schedules from my phone so that the schedules would be disabled when the home is being rented and I could enable them while it is vacant while I am travelling so the plants in my home would receive light.

I am just starting to look into Smart Shades and would assume that all of them can be manually opened/closed often which my guests would of course need to be able to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-03-2017, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc1284 View Post
I am looking for a recommendation for Smart Shades.

I am going to be renting my home out as a Vacation Rental often and will need to be able to remotely control them when I am not home. I have a SmartThings Hub, Nest Thermostat and Android Phone. I would not be opposed to purchasing a Bridge that is designed for the Smart Shades if needed.

I will be living in the home for at least half of the year so would like to be able to set up Schedules for when they open and close. Then remotely disable/enable the Schedules from my phone so that the schedules would be disabled when the home is being rented and I could enable them while it is vacant while I am travelling so the plants in my home would receive light.

I am just starting to look into Smart Shades and would assume that all of them can be manually opened/closed often which my guests would of course need to be able to do.
Lutron Caseta has shading controls & Lutron Caseta works with SmartThings. I'm not sure how deep the integration is for Lutron shading & SmartThings. Another option would be to look at the Somfy ZRTS and Somfy's shading solutions. The ZRTS is a Z-wave device that Somfy makes that will link your SmartThings hub with the Somfy RTS motors for shading.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-03-2017, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 2790
I use Lutron Sivoia QS cellular shades with room darkening option in my HT: they are all battery powered but can be hardwired for power

they are controlled by Pico wireless remotes next to each shade, and can also be controlled by the Lutron app: I also have an RTI remote system that can control them

The Lutron program has the ability to raise/lower shades on a time clock schedule, and to be accessed remotely: my dealer installed the shades for me: I did the programming

overall pretty satisfied: I did have a couple of defective shades that were replaced by Lutron (5 year warranty): they sent me the replacements and I installed them

My only issue was the dealer I originally used had a falling out with Lutron and stopped carrying the line: I had to go direct to Lutron to get support, which complicated the issue

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b

post #4 of 6 Old 09-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Location: White Bear Lake, MN ----- CUSL2C, P3/1.0, 256Mb, HiPix, A2496, D50Q, Stewert 1.3g, Denon 3801,
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Screen Innovations are coming out with a quite nice shade system. Might be worth your wait.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-04-2017, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Caseta with Lutron Serena Shades. Period!

https://www.serenashades.com/
post #6 of 6 Old 09-18-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,
I'll tag along on this shade recommendation to get an additional info. I'm building a sunroom and I would like to install automated shades in the future.
1). What kind of wiring do I need to have in place, so the automated shades can be attached in the future? Cat6 or any other?
Please advice..
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page