• 2 Post By cw4u
  • 2 Post By sbarnesvta

post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2017, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Crestron for Smaller Home

I work for a university and am just getting started in Crestron programming. I was wondering if it would make sense to integrate Crestron at my home so that I could get some extra training in. I had planned on installing some level of home automation along the lines of HomeKit compatible dimmers, switches along with multiroom audio and a home theater system. If I went the crestron route, I would just buy used off eBay or something similar.

My problem I'm facing is that since I live in what my area would consider a "starter" home, so there would be no return on investment when going to sell the home if it had a crestron system. Would it be possible to move most of my Crestron gear over to a new home if I decided to move at some point in the future? Would there be any reason to stick with a more consumer control system instead of going with Crestron?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2017, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Do you have Crestron Software? Programming Crestron in a real sense, can be very daunting, and comes with responsibility. You cannot just decide to learn it and suddenly just do it. You must have Crestron's support if you wish to do these systems for other people. The best route is to work for a dealer and get trained by the dealer, and by Crestron. And yes, you could install systems that can move with you instead of being permanently part of the home.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-05-2017, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I do. As part of their education program, they give access to firmware, software, etc.

I'll be going to P101 in the fall and plan to go to P201 in the spring and P301 in the summer/fall.

I actually have a degree in Electrical Engineering so I took classes in C/C# and digital logic/microprocessors. I still do expect a learning curve though on the programming side of things.

I have a spare CP2E, an older panel, and an extron switcher I was planning on just using to play around with while I get started.
ahard and MOTILAC like this.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-05-2017, 08:48 PM

Liked: 14
I moved from a really small house (800sqft) to a bigger house (1800sqft) about 6 months ago and had RTI/Crestron in the first place and Crestron only in the second. It is a great way to learn how to program and get used to their way of doing things in the comfort of your own home.

I find if you have access to the software and a desire to learn Crestron it can actually be one of the cheapest control systems to put in with huge amounts of used gear available on sites like eBay and craigslist.

As far as resale value, you will never get what you put into back out of it in a smaller house, but there is no reason you can't take it with you when you leave. I landed all of my cabling to a punch panel that sits in a closet for the next owner if I ever decide to sell. The AV rack and control system all roll out in a nice rack and will be put into the next place.

As far as the classes go, P101 is nice to get you familiar with the software, P201 is the real "this is what you can actually do with this and a little more real world", P301 is all Simpl+. The final exams are getting tougher and tougher as time goes on so the sooner the better.

The whole process took me a little over a year from P101 to passing the final exam.
ahard and MOTILAC like this.

SBTS-Inc.com
- Certified Crestron Programmer and DM T-4K, D-4K, E-4K Certifications.
- RTI Programmer/ Driver Developer
- Rational Acoustics Smaart Certified
- QSC QSYS Lvl 1 and 2 Certified Programmer
post #5 of 5 Old 09-06-2017, 09:48 AM

Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw4u View Post
I do. As part of their education program, they give access to firmware, software, etc.

I'll be going to P101 in the fall and plan to go to P201 in the spring and P301 in the summer/fall.

I actually have a degree in Electrical Engineering so I took classes in C/C# and digital logic/microprocessors. I still do expect a learning curve though on the programming side of things.

I have a spare CP2E, an older panel, and an extron switcher I was planning on just using to play around with while I get started.

Ok, sounds great. You have what it takes, and you should do fine at it! Go all in on your house, and design your equipment so that you have mobile devices as your touchscreens (iPad and iPhones). iPads will do everything you'd need in any graphics interface, and it is move-able. Try to get a 3 series processor, because as you get deeper into S+ and then S#, you'll need a 3 series....plus the added other things a 3 series can do (SmartGraphics, running multiple programs on one processor and such). Always good to see fresh new talent in Crestron as programmers, so all the best! Feel free to message me if you have questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page