Need a buddy in NY to help me automate! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ezlotogura

post #1 of 11 Old 09-09-2017, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Need a buddy in NY to help me automate!

Hey friends,

I am trying to get my head around all of the various options to automate my new home remodel here on Long Island.
There are so many of them and I feel like I am really pushing the age limit for all this new tech :-)
I have called a few home automation companies in my area for help but they all want to sell me a Crestron or Savant system.
These systems are $30-$50K and they are closed systems that I won't have any user control over.
I am no expert but I like to learn and adapt and grow with tech that I choose to embrace.

Is there anyone on Long Island that would be willing to walk me through it all and help me to come up with a game plan?

I plan on either Wink 2 or Smarthings for a system.

Thanks,
Russ

Last edited by Russ Rubman; 09-09-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-12-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Rubman View Post
Hey friends,

I am trying to get my head around all of the various options to automate my new home remodel here on Long Island.
There are so many of them and I feel like I am really pushing the age limit for all this new tech :-)
I have called a few home automation companies in my area for help but they all want to sell me a Crestron or Savant system.
These systems are $30-$50K and they are closed systems that I won't have any user control over.
I am no expert but I like to learn and adapt and grow with tech that I choose to embrace.

Is there anyone on Long Island that would be willing to walk me through it all and help me to come up with a game plan?

I plan on either Wink 2 or Smarthings for a system.

Thanks,
Russ
How automated are you trying to get? Sounds like you want to tinker a little bit. I use vera (zwave). I have a bunch of zwave switches throughout the house that control the lights. I can make my hunter douglas blinds go up and down in one room. Vera has an alexa skill now so you can tell her to do these things and she will do it. I use harmony remtoes with the hub and hub extender. The extender can talk to vera. I have it programmed so when I'm in my theater I press watch movie a bunch or different things happen with the equipment and lights. If something goes wrong its up to you to research and fix it. Crestron and savant like you said are the turn key options that will have everything in one user interface. Depends what your goals are. I would suggest doing a lot of research. Everyone who posts here is going to tell you what they used and there are million different ways to do it.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-12-2017, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Frustrating.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-14-2017, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I dont want to sound like a fanboy...Control4 comes in pricewise less than Crestron and I think usually less than or close to on par with Savant. Unlike Crestron/Savant it does come with 2 options to do your own programming. Composer Home Edition is software that lets you program anything 100% - the only drawback is you cannot add new hardware, you need a dealer. so yes, if you switch your TV (what, once every 5 years) you'll need a dealers help. Can it get tedious, sometimes but really how often are you adding things? I have a good relationship with my dealer and its a very minimal charge (if any) to just add hardware into the system. The other option is C4 just released "if when" which seems to be their answer to IFTTT logic type programming. It is a bit more basic than Composer HE with a bit less power but it is much easier for the common person to use. That said composer HE is not really rocket science and there is a helpful forum to learn even more.

composer HE is a 1x cost of $149. You need 4sight to use "if when" and that is $99/year but that also lets you get remote access to your house, Alexa services, push notifications and several other features.

You can likely cobble together multiple systems using ZWave and accomplish most tasks but like the above poster said, if something goes wrong or needs tinkering, it is all DIY. C4 is the closest big player to a quasi approach of some DIY with a dealer install system.

Someone posted about Alarm.com too and that can be DIY. Did you look into their home automation services?
SMHarman likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-21-2017, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Russ,

take a look at Loxone. We won't lock you out of your own system and you can enjoy the benefits of a professionally installed whole home automation solution. We do also have a partner showroom in NYC so that you can have a look at it.

Florian

Loxone Smart Home
www.loxone.com
post #6 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
I dont want to sound like a fanboy...Control4 comes in pricewise less than Crestron and I think usually less than or close to on par with Savant. Unlike Crestron/Savant it does come with 2 options to do your own programming. Composer Home Edition is software that lets you program anything 100% - the only drawback is you cannot add new hardware, you need a dealer. so yes, if you switch your TV (what, once every 5 years) you'll need a dealers help. Can it get tedious, sometimes but really how often are you adding things? I have a good relationship with my dealer and its a very minimal charge (if any) to just add hardware into the system. The other option is C4 just released "if when" which seems to be their answer to IFTTT logic type programming. It is a bit more basic than Composer HE with a bit less power but it is much easier for the common person to use. That said composer HE is not really rocket science and there is a helpful forum to learn even more.

composer HE is a 1x cost of $149. You need 4sight to use "if when" and that is $99/year but that also lets you get remote access to your house, Alexa services, push notifications and several other features.

You can likely cobble together multiple systems using ZWave and accomplish most tasks but like the above poster said, if something goes wrong or needs tinkering, it is all DIY. C4 is the closest big player to a quasi approach of some DIY with a dealer install system.

Someone posted about Alarm.com too and that can be DIY. Did you look into their home automation services?
This ^^^
post #7 of 11 Old 09-28-2017, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just a follow up here. I have decided to see if I can put things together using ZWAVE. My new alarm system is with ADT and they will use ZWAVE for the alarm, door locks, cameras, etc. so I think that is a good place to start. I am going to try and see if I can learn how to integrate other things such as garage doors, lighting, audio etc. and do it all with Alexa integration.

I am not sure quite how to go about learning all of this. Is there a single site or information resource to start with?

While I appreciate the Control4 suggestion, I used to have it in my theater about 8-10 years ago and I absolutely hated it since I am a gearhead and with every upgrade or substitution to my system I had to deal with scheduling and the cost of an expert to visit my home. I no longer want to be at someone's mercy.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-11-2017, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Smartthings all the way for me - it's tightly integrated with Google Home and Amazon's Echo (I use both with it), and open and extensible. And by the sounds of it, a fraction of the cost. I'm opening myself up to some backlash no doubt, but the whole Crestron thing is super old fashioned if you're after general home automation. As for media and everything else, I'm in the cloud, which I also think is the future.... So far I have automated lighting, security and connection to Chromecasts etc. But plenty of other things Smartthings is great at...
post #9 of 11 Old Today, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Frustrating.
did you make and progress?

Wink or Smart things is 100% DYI with a zero learning curve for the most part.

If you still need help send me a PM and I will help you out, I am in NJ.

My Main HT-Setup
LG OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Technology Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - A60 for ATMOS - SVS Ultra-13 SUB- Xbox One S - DirecTV 4K - Sony Blu-ray - Panamax Power Center - Microwave oven for Popcorn
post #10 of 11 Old Today, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks a lot,
Yes I am using ZWave and trying to figure it all out but just got started as my remodel is taking much longer than expected.
Might take you up on that PM in a month or so :-)
-Russ
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
While I appreciate the Control4 suggestion, I used to have it in my theater about 8-10 years ago and I absolutely hated it since I am a gearhead and with every upgrade or substitution to my system I had to deal with scheduling and the cost of an expert to visit my home. I no longer want to be at someone's mercy.
That was then. Would you believe that a dealer has never set foot in my house. I've only ever used remote dealers. Hooked it all up and they remote in and do the binding in Control4. With the right email it often happens while I sleep or work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page