New Home, seeking Automation Suggestions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By FlyingDiver
  • 1 Post By deewan

post #1 of 9 Old 09-12-2017, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
New Home, seeking Automation Suggestions

Purchasing a new build home with no automation.

5,300 sq ft, 5BR, 5BA, study, media, family, living, etc.
3 zone hvac
0.5 acre lot.

My current home has a partial C4 system for our two media locations and select C4 lighting in other locations. We also have a Nest system with two thermo and 4 camera, and a Ring doorbell.

We'd like to do a more comprehensive system for new house and attempt to integrate lighting, window treatments, AV, security, HVAC, and other accessories like pool, irrigation.

I know C4 and it doesn't integrate as seemlessly as I think it should. Is Savant or Crestron better? Lutron products?

All input welcome.

GO!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I just completed a build and I used Lutron and Alexa products. We have many Lutron Caseta light switches or dimmers and with the ease of the the Lutron app, I have setup some great schedules to control exterior lights and interior lights. For example, at dusk each night the trey lights in my living room turn on, the exterior lights turn on and the under cabinet lighting turn on. The all turn back off when dawn hits and with the help of the app, the on/off change as the daylight for the days grows longer or shorter as the seasons change.

I also have Lutron blinds in the bedroom and in the front window. Each night at dusk the front blinds lower. At noon when the sun begins to hit the windows int he bedroom, the blinds lower to help keep that room cooler.

If you add Alexa, you can control this devices with your voice. "Alexa, turn off living room lights" or "Alexa open bedroom blinds." I also have a Rachio irrigation system that integrates with Alexa. I can setup schedules that will monitor weather and water more or less as needed. I can also spot water by saying "Alexa, water zone 3 for 10 minutes".

There are a lot of other options I haven't touched on and I was surprised how easy it was to program everything and then find out the low install prices. I have one Amazon Echo and three dots throughout the house. From pretty much anywhere I can speak and control devices. And if not, I have an app so I can control the devices from anywhere I have a internet connection.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-12-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh, one other item to add to the list. Look at the Ecobee thermostat. I used to have a Nest and I think the Nest had a nicer feel. But I think the Ecobee 3 works better for a larger home. And if you go with Alexa, get the Ecobee 4 for another access point for your system.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
If you're serious about the 'Automation' part in Home Automation, take a look at Loxone.
Besides the basics (lights, security hvac, audio), we're the only one's doing pool and irrigation as well.

Florian

Loxone Smart Home
www.loxone.com
post #5 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian Loxone View Post
Besides the basics (lights, security hvac, audio), we're the only one's doing pool and irrigation as well.
I don't think that's true. Other HA systems have drivers for pool and irrigation controllers.
ahard likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I don't think that's true. Other HA systems have drivers for pool and irrigation controllers.
I agree with FlyingDiver. As I posted above the Rachio irrigation controller easily works with Alexa's voice control or it's own app.
ahard likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-22-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian Loxone View Post
If you're serious about the 'Automation' part in Home Automation, take a look at

Florian
Hi Florian,
We have been doing pool and irrigation for many years. Other automation companies do as well. (FYI).

To the OP: What do you want to integrate / automate?

David
post #8 of 9 Old 09-23-2017, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
When you say C4 doesn’t integrate as seamless as you’d think it should, what do you mean?
post #9 of 9 Old 09-25-2017, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
Purchasing a new build home with no automation.

5,300 sq ft, 5BR, 5BA, study, media, family, living, etc.
3 zone hvac
0.5 acre lot.

My current home has a partial C4 system for our two media locations and select C4 lighting in other locations. We also have a Nest system with two thermo and 4 camera, and a Ring doorbell.

We'd like to do a more comprehensive system for new house and attempt to integrate lighting, window treatments, AV, security, HVAC, and other accessories like pool, irrigation.

I know C4 and it doesn't integrate as seemlessly as I think it should. Is Savant or Crestron better? Lutron products?

All input welcome.

GO!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why is the nest not integrated into C4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTILAC View Post
When you say C4 doesn’t integrate as seamless as you’d think it should, what do you mean?
Yes, what do you mean? Sounds like you need a better dealer and maybe a remote dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page