Converting 3 Pole to Single Pole - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-15-2017, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lightbulb Converting 3 Pole to Single Pole

I've got a room that had a 3 pole light switch.

I want to cap off one end, and just use a single pole leviton automated switch on the other wall. This is because I need the neutral for these, and there is no neutral that I can find in the other outlet. Not going to rip the wall apart for a remote switch.

In one wall, what I think is the remote that has three wires has a solid black wire, a black wire that looks like it was badly spray painted with white, and a red wire.

When the breaker is hot, the spray painted looking white/back wire is hot. The other two are cold.

In the other outlet i have the neutrals wire nutted together.

One black wire that comes from a two pair of white/black is wire-nutted to the spray painted badly white wire. This is hot when breaker is on.

there is another black wire that goes into another bundle leaving the outlet with the other end of the neutrals in.

the red and black wire are in the bundle with the spray painted white wire.

If I want to disable the remote switch I think this is what i need to do.

de-wire nut the black/spraypaitned white black wire. This will remove power from the far outlet completely.

wire nut + the two blacks, and add a jumper to the switch.

Add neutral to neutral bundle, same way.

Red wire to red bolt.

op success?

i get i can cause damage, so no need to disclaimer stuff we're theory crafting here.

or, is there something i can do to use one of the three wires to pass a neutral to that remote switch (i bought the remote switch not knowing that they didn't wire neutrals, and leviton requires the neutral)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Tags
homekit , Leviton

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page