Nest for mini split AC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-20-2017, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nest for mini split AC

Can anyone of you help me with connecting a Nest thermostat to a mini split AC? I just bought a DuctlessAire 2 Ton Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner and Heat Pump Variable Speed Inverter - 220V/60Hz. I would like to connect this to Nest. How do I connect? What interface do I need?
Please advice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-20-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackforceus View Post
Can anyone of you help me with connecting a Nest thermostat to a mini split AC? I just bought a DuctlessAire 2 Ton Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner and Heat Pump Variable Speed Inverter - 220V/60Hz. I would like to connect this to Nest. How do I connect? What interface do I need?
Please advice..
I cant help with your question but I have a question about the voltage rating - does 220V mean you have to pull a special electrical line to power this unit (since home power is 110V).
Thanks
post #3 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I don't think you can. Those units don't use standard thermostat wiring. In fact, there's no wiring at all. The controller is RF.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
I cant help with your question but I have a question about the voltage rating - does 220V mean you have to pull a special electrical line to power this unit (since home power is 110V).
Thanks
Home wiring (in the US) is 240/120. These units always require a dedicated circuit, they're not plug in units. A 240 line isn't really all that special. It's the same as used for more standard HVAC units, as well as cooktops, ovens, and dryers.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Home wiring (in the US) is 240/120. These units always require a dedicated circuit, they're not plug in units. A 240 line isn't really all that special. It's the same as used for more standard HVAC units, as well as cooktops, ovens, and dryers.
Thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks
Correct, You need to pull the 220 wiring from your main just like how you pulled for dryer, oven etc.

Coming to my main question, if I can connect the nest to mini split AC. It looks like the mini ac use milli-volts control and Nest uses 24V. If I can an interface / transformer to bridge that volts, then it might be possible correct?
Please see the link below:

http://ask.metafilter.com/305692/How...ir-conditioner
post #7 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackforceus View Post
Coming to my main question, if I can connect the nest to mini split AC. It looks like the mini ac use milli-volts control and Nest uses 24V. If I can an interface / transformer to bridge that volts, then it might be possible correct?
Please see the link below:

http://ask.metafilter.com/305692/How...ir-conditioner
Almost anything is possible, if you're willing to throw enough time, money, and effort into it. Unless the maker of the HVAC unit has a specific kit to use a "standard" thermostat, it's going to be difficult.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-25-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
To expand you get three wires coming into your panel at a point in time these will be -120v, common, +120v

To get 240 you context to both hot and to get to 120 you take either hot and the common.

The electrician aims to balance loads to each side / phase of the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page