what are the current recommendations for the top exterior door smart locks - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ahard
  • 1 Post By Gig'em ATX

post #1 of 24 Old 09-25-2017, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what are the current recommendations for the top exterior door smart locks

and could someone also explain how they work, with respect controlling the deadbolt vs the door handle lock?
ie do the smart locks control the dead bolt and then you do not / cannot use a lock on the door handle, or does the dead bolt open/close both locks?

thanks
Derek

Capall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-25-2017, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by capaill View Post
and could someone also explain how they work, with respect controlling the deadbolt vs the door handle lock?
ie do the smart locks control the dead bolt and then you do not / cannot use a lock on the door handle, or does the dead bolt open/close both locks?

thanks
Derek
I went with Kwickset Zigbee locks and have had good luck with them.

They replace the deadbolt with a keypad; some have keys as a backup, others do not.

As a rule you want a bottom door handle that does not have a lock in it and just use the dead bolt. In my first house I had a handle with a bottom handle lock in it and it accidentally got locked one times before I pulled it out and replaced it. Current house only has a dead bolt so I don't have to worry about it.

The clarify the smart lock only controls the deadbolt and DOES NOT control the lower lock.

SBTS-Inc.com
- Certified Crestron Programmer and DM T-4K, D-4K, E-4K Certifications.
- RTI Programmer/ Driver Developer
- Rational Acoustics Smaart Certified
- QSC QSYS Lvl 1 and 2 Certified Programmer
post #3 of 24 Old 09-26-2017, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarnesvta View Post
I went with Kwickset Zigbee locks and have had good luck with them.

They replace the deadbolt with a keypad; some have keys as a backup, others do not.

As a rule you want a bottom door handle that does not have a lock in it and just use the dead bolt. In my first house I had a handle with a bottom handle lock in it and it accidentally got locked one times before I pulled it out and replaced it. Current house only has a dead bolt so I don't have to worry about it.

The clarify the smart lock only controls the deadbolt and DOES NOT control the lower lock.

X2 on the Kwikset. I was able to rekey (most of their locks will allow this by end user) all our locks to the same key...although no one has used keys in a while.

I have 3 of them managed by Smartthings, using the Rboy paid app (well worth it) to manage cleaning person codes etc. Battery life using lithium AAs is about 14 months. The winter cold here (we see -35C) is hard on batteries.

Smartthings does a good job of locking any doors left open at night, when we leave etc. It also checks to make sure locks are engaged when security system armed etc.

post #4 of 24 Old 09-26-2017, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys, for the suggestion and the clarification on the door handle.Makes sense now.

Having a looks at the Kwikset site

Any thoughts on kwikset vs the schlage and august locks

thanks
Derek

Capall
post #5 of 24 Old 09-26-2017, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 19
We use a Yale Z-wave deadbolt. I chose that because it integrates with our Honeywell Vista alarm system (through the Tuxedo Touch) such that a door code can disarm, saving the annoyance of having to put in 2 codes back to back. It's much more limited than a smartthings in that while I can give out individual codes, I can't base automations off of an individual code. However it can do basic things like send out an email that says 'Front Door Unlocked' at 2:50pm. I don't know who actually did the unlocking, but in that latest example I'd know it was one of my kids coming home from school.
Bottom lock has a lock, but we leave it open except for long absences. If it happens by accident we always have the garage with its separate code. And then the tried and true of leaving a spare set with nearby family.
post #6 of 24 Old 09-26-2017, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

great, thanks for those tips,

I'll probably incorporate an HA software with this, such as irule, Homeseer or CQC or even god forbid homekit!, and if we want an alarm either an ELK or Omni

Does this alter anyone's thinking

(sorry should have mention this first)

thanks

Capall
post #7 of 24 Old 09-26-2017, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've just started looking at locks. If you haven't settled on other home automation yet, or want to keep future options open- I believe one of the Yale lines (Assure?) Have z-wave plus/ZigBee/or HomeKit (Bluetooth?) modules that can be user installed or swapped out.
post #8 of 24 Old 09-27-2017, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have two Schlage Z-wave door locks; one for the front door that is a deadbolt and one for the entry from the garage into the mud room/laundry room. The locks are connected to a Nexia home automation hub. If I have guests that will be staying with me I can setup temporary codes for them that are only active from the time I expect them to arrive to the time they leave. The temp codes deactivate automatically after the time period that was designated ends. I can also setup weekly recurring codes that are active every week for a specific day or days and time frame. This would be useful if you have a cleaning service.

I can also use codes to trigger a scene/automation, turn on the tv and av equipment, Christmas tree lights or any other lights in the house, turn on ceiling fans, open window blinds or turn on the thermostat when a code is entered. If I had a child and my child has his/her own code, when he or she enters their code I can have certain things trigger only for their room; such as turning on the tv in the kids' room, opening the blinds in that room and turning on the ceiling fan in that room.

I can also get notifications via email, texts and IOS and Android notifications when a code has been entered into one of the locks. The name of the person that has entered the code will appear on the notification along with the time that the codes was entered. I also get a notification if the lock as been tampered with. If I go on vacation I can put the locks into vacation mode so that no codes will work. I can also use the Nexia app or website to lock or unlock any of the smart locks. Smart locks are great.
dbuss likes this.

XBL: Stunt1on1

Last edited by ahard; 09-27-2017 at 06:12 AM.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-27-2017, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
I have two Schlage Z-wave door locks; one for the front door that is a deadbolt and one for the entry from the garage into the mud room/laundry room. The locks are connected to a Nexia home automation hub. If I have guests that will be staying with me I can setup temporary codes for them that are only active from the time I expect them to arrive to the time they leave. The temp codes deactivate automatically after the time period that was designated ends. I can also setup weekly recurring codes that are active every week for a specific day or days and time frame. This would be useful if you have a cleaning service.

I can also use codes to trigger a scene/automation, turn on the tv and av equipment, Christmas tree lights or any other lights in the house, turn on ceiling fans, open window blinds or turn on the thermostat when a code is entered. If I had a child and my child has his/her own code, when he or she enters their code I can have certain things trigger only for their room; such as turning on the tv in the kids' room, opening the blinds in that room and turning on the ceiling fan in that room.

I can also get notifications via email, texts and IOS and Android notifications when a code has been entered into one of the locks. The name of the person that has entered the code will appear on the notification along with the time that the codes was entered. I also get a notification if the lock as been tampered with. If I go on vacation I can put the locks into vacation mode so that no codes will work. I can also use the Nexia app or website to lock or unlock any of the smart locks. Smart locks are great.
great, thanks for that info
post #10 of 24 Old 09-27-2017, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by capaill View Post

thanks
Derek
I've been very happy with my seven Schlage locks. The deadbolt can be locked/unlocked with codes or a key.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 24 Old 10-04-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Another thing to think about, is whether or not your door lines up correctly with the door frame. A lot of folks have wood doors and the door frames are wood as well. Your builder may have done a less than stellar job of putting that door in when the house was built, and the door may experience swelling and shrinking being a natural product, which could cause the alignment to be off slightly. If you've ever had a home where you had to pull or push the door in slightly (when closed) in order to turn the deadbolt, then you'll know what I mean. These automated locks don't have the ability to negotiate those parameters, so it is imperative that the hole lines up correctly with the throw of the deadbolt, and that there's no fit friction there or you will have problems from your system.

Food for thought. I have a nice wood door that wasn't put in extremely well. I recently had to refinish the door, due to facing the morning sun each day, and the weathering that it takes here in central Texas. When I save up enough ($1600 to $2000) to replace the door, I'll be putting in a nice custom iron door with glass, that has iron framing as well. Way more secure, and zero issues with the holes getting out of alignment. At that time, I'll upgrade the door lock to automatic. I'll probably go with August so I can keep the nicer looking trim, and just unlock it via my phone app for the alarm.
ahard likes this.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-05-2017, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig'em ATX View Post
Another thing to think about, is whether or not your door lines up correctly with the door frame. A lot of folks have wood doors and the door frames are wood as well. Your builder may have done a less than stellar job of putting that door in when the house was built, and the door may experience swelling and shrinking being a natural product, which could cause the alignment to be off slightly. If you've ever had a home where you had to pull or push the door in slightly (when closed) in order to turn the deadbolt, then you'll know what I mean. These automated locks don't have the ability to negotiate those parameters, so it is imperative that the hole lines up correctly with the throw of the deadbolt, and that there's no fit friction there or you will have problems from your system.

Food for thought. I have a nice wood door that wasn't put in extremely well. I recently had to refinish the door, due to facing the morning sun each day, and the weathering that it takes here in central Texas. When I save up enough ($1600 to $2000) to replace the door, I'll be putting in a nice custom iron door with glass, that has iron framing as well. Way more secure, and zero issues with the holes getting out of alignment. At that time, I'll upgrade the door lock to automatic. I'll probably go with August so I can keep the nicer looking trim, and just unlock it via my phone app for the alarm.
Great point Gig. However, I'll say that one can get 'smart locks' that don't automatically lock the deadbolt. The schlage deadbolt lock I have on my front door doesn't automatically turn the deadbolt. The original poster can opt for such a lock and I would say that based on what you've brought up, which is the same issue that I have with my front door, going with a 'smart' deadbolt that doesn't turn automatically would be the way to go.

There is more utility to having a 'smart' than just having the deadbolt turn automatically. Key-less entry and exit, disposable codes for overnight guests and services workers are probably the top reasons for having a 'smart' lock.

post #13 of 24 Old 10-06-2017, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
I had a Yale Smartlock on my rear entry door. It was at the side of the garage. Like most entry doors to a service area, it was metal and insulated - so no shrinkage of the door, etc. It worked very well. THe Yale bolt worked every time (after I properly installed it).

For a front door, we are using a wood door - purely for esthetics. As nice as these locks are, I can't imagine them on a primary entry door - they're bulky and not pretty like an ornamental, metal door handle.

My point, is to consider the placement of these automatic locks.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I had a Yale Smartlock on my rear entry door. It was at the side of the garage. Like most entry doors to a service area, it was metal and insulated - so no shrinkage of the door, etc. It worked very well. THe Yale bolt worked every time (after I properly installed it).

For a front door, we are using a wood door - purely for esthetics. As nice as these locks are, I can't imagine them on a primary entry door - they're bulky and not pretty like an ornamental, metal door handle.

My point, is to consider the placement of these automatic locks.
Some of the newer models are sleeker and nicer looking than previous models. However, I'd agree with you when it comes to August. I wouldn't put an August on any of my doors.

post #15 of 24 Old 10-19-2017, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Some of the newer models are sleeker and nicer looking than previous models. However, I'd agree with you when it comes to August. I wouldn't put an August on any of my doors.
Most of the smart locks use bluetooth as their connectivity. Does anyone know which locks will let you control they over a network? I assume you would need to have it tied into a Wink or Smart Things hub to do this.
post #16 of 24 Old 10-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout190 View Post
Most of the smart locks use bluetooth as their connectivity. Does anyone know which locks will let you control they over a network? I assume you would need to have it tied into a Wink or Smart Things hub to do this.
Do you mean a wifi lock? Most of the connected locks will either be bluetooth or Z-wave.

post #17 of 24 Old 10-19-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Do you mean a wifi lock? Most of the connected locks will either be bluetooth or Z-wave.
Yes that's what I am referring to. A lock which can also open and close remotely.
post #18 of 24 Old 10-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes that's what I am referring to. A lock which can also open and close remotely.
The bluetooth and Z-wave locks can be unlocked and locked remotely via the app that is associated with the device.

post #19 of 24 Old 10-19-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
The bluetooth and Z-wave locks can be unlocked and locked remotely via the app that is associated with the device.
Yes but you have to be in a certain range for Z-wave and bluetooth to work. These cannot work from far away from your home. Bluetooth has a very short distance and Z-wave has a little bit of a longer distance. From what I have been reading up on, you would need to use a wink or smart things hub for a lock that is compatible with it in order to do this over the internet. The lock would talk to the wink or smart things hub via z-wave, which in turn the hub would connect to your router where you can then access it's IP to control your lock from far away.
post #20 of 24 Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes but you have to be in a certain range for Z-wave and bluetooth to work. These cannot work from far away from your home. Bluetooth has a very short distance and Z-wave has a little bit of a longer distance. From what I have been reading up on, you would need to use a wink or smart things hub for a lock that is compatible with it in order to do this over the internet. The lock would talk to the wink or smart things hub via z-wave, which in turn the hub would connect to your router where you can then access it's IP to control your lock from far away.
Ok. I think that I must be confused by what you're asking. You're correct in that a Z-wave lock would most certainly need to be connected to a hub/controller of some kind that has Z-wave built in. And the hub would need to be connected to your router at home. And yes, the Z-wave lock needs to be within a certain range of other Z-wave devices within your Z-wave mesh network or the Z-wave hub/controller in order for it to function properly; this is a given seeing as though the lock will be on a door within your home. I think that maybe you're confusing the Z-wave mesh network range with controlling a Z-wave lock through and app from anywhere in the world. Or maybe I'm confused by what you're asking.

However, there's no "range" that you physically need to be within in order for the Z-wave lock to be controlled remotely from an app or website. You don't need to be within a certain number of feet or miles in order to control your Z-wave lock from an app or website. That's not the way that it works. Trust me I've done it from 30 miles away.

post #21 of 24 Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Ok. I think that I must be confused by what you're asking. You're correct in that a Z-wave lock would most certainly need to be connected to a hub/controller of some kind that has Z-wave built in. And the hub would need to be connected to your router at home. And yes, the Z-wave lock needs to be within a certain range of other Z-wave devices within your Z-wave mesh network or the Z-wave hub/controller in order for it to function properly; this is a given seeing as though the lock will be on a door within your home. I think that maybe you're confusing the Z-wave mesh network range with controlling a Z-wave lock through and app from anywhere in the world. Or maybe I'm confused by what you're asking.

However, there's no "range" that you physically need to be within in order for the Z-wave lock to be controlled remotely from an app or website. You don't need to be within a certain number of feet or miles in order to control your Z-wave lock from an app or website. That's not the way that it works. Trust me I've done it from 30 miles away.
Yes what I was referring to was the ability to lock and unlock your door from far away, like 30 miles or so. I would assume that you would need to have the lock connected to a wifi network somehow for this to work. How are you able to connect to your lock from 30 miles away on your phone app? Your phone would use it's data or wifi connection to connect to the internet, what connects the z-wav lock to the internet so that it can be reached by the phone app?
post #22 of 24 Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes what I was referring to was the ability to lock and unlock your door from far away, like 30 miles or so. I would assume that you would need to have the lock connected to a wifi network somehow for this to work. How are you able to connect to your lock from 30 miles away on your phone app? Your phone would use it's data or wifi connection to connect to the internet, what connects the z-wav lock to the internet so that it can be reached by the phone app?
Ok. I see what you're saying. Z-wave locks don't connect to your wifi network. What allows me to connect to my lock from 30 miles away is the cloud infrastructure that the company that created my hub operates. The Z-wave lock is connected my hub/controller, which is connected to my router. My hub has access to the cloud via my connected home provider. Therefore, I can reach the lock and the other Z-wave components in my system from the app, which communicates with the cloud. The app based functions are accomplished using my connected home providers' cloud infrastructure.

post #23 of 24 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Ok. I see what you're saying. Z-wave locks don't connect to your wifi network. What allows me to connect to my lock from 30 miles away is the cloud infrastructure that the company that created my hub operates. The Z-wave lock is connected my hub/controller, which is connected to my router. My hub has access to the cloud via my connected home provider. Therefore, I can reach the lock and the other Z-wave components in my system from the app, which communicates with the cloud. The app based functions are accomplished using my connected home providers' cloud infrastructure.
OK now I understand exactly what your talking about. Which is basically what I was referring to earlier when I mentioned that you would need some type of home automation hub like smart things hub, wink hub, lutron caseta hub, control 4, etc.. connected to your router and is compatible with the lock for it to work like that. If you don't mind me asking, what type of hub do you have? And what type of lock do you have?
post #24 of 24 Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK now I understand exactly what your talking about. Which is basically what I was referring to earlier when I mentioned that you would need some type of home automation hub like smart things hub, wink hub, lutron caseta hub, control 4, etc.. connected to your router and is compatible with the lock for it to work like that. If you don't mind me asking, what type of hub do you have? And what type of lock do you have?
I use the Nexia hub http://www.nexiahome.com/. I have two Z-wave locks & they're Schlage. The builder included the front door deadbolt Schlage Z-Wave when my home was built almost 5 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page