1Likes
  • 1 Post By ezlotogura

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2017, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy I hate Crestron

I have a modest Crestron system in my 4200 sq ft home. 6x6 video matrix with 4 TV outputs and a handful of lighting controls. I am tired of having to wait days and pay dollars to my installer just to tweak or add another feature to the system. Plus the Crestron equipment is very expensive. I am thinking about abandoning Crestron completely in hopes of installing a system I can install and program myself. Savant, Control4, RTI...?
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2017, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 60
the ones you mentioned are also custom install. That said out of the 4 (Savant, C4, RTI and Crestron) C4 has composer HE which is a 1 time purchase software ($149) that lets you program anything in the system. and I mean anything. You just cannot ADD drivers/hardware, you need a dealer. You can get set up with a good remote dealer and for a few minutes and a few dollars they will set you up then you can program anything you want

C4forums.com is a great place to start and get introduced to the platform.
SMHarman likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-03-2017, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just converted my home automation from Crestron to Elan this week. The new g! Version 8 has the ability for end users to tweak a few things around but not completely program everything. It's a blend between full DIY like Control4 (also nice) and the fully integrator approach. An integrator can get it set up and then turn a few keys over to you. The dealerships typically have remote programing access as well for system tweaks yet you can customize different access panels, desktop app and smartphone app interfaces. Costs aren't ridiculous like Crestron, who seem heck bent on commercial only and have an arrogant attitude for residential, zapping folks in dealerships for a lot of money to train, and then you get your wallet hit hard for anything, as you have also discovered.

I also found Elan's corporate office to be supportive when needed (had a system in my previous home in 2005), they helped me work through some issues with a dealer and corrected things in a hurry.

As with BBQ, you'll find different tastes for each person, the bottom line is you don't have to get Crestron to have a truly remarkable, high end home automation. I could go on, suffice it to say there are a lot of advantages with Elan (and others).

post #4 of 4 Old 10-04-2017, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreekVA View Post
I just converted my home automation from Crestron to Elan this week. The new g! Version 8 has the ability for end users to tweak a few things around but not completely program everything. It's a blend between full DIY like Control4 (also nice) and the fully integrator approach. An integrator can get it set up and then turn a few keys over to you. The dealerships typically have remote programing access as well for system tweaks yet you can customize different access panels, desktop app and smartphone app interfaces. Costs aren't ridiculous like Crestron, who seem heck bent on commercial only and have an arrogant attitude for residential, zapping folks in dealerships for a lot of money to train, and then you get your wallet hit hard for anything, as you have also discovered.

I also found Elan's corporate office to be supportive when needed (had a system in my previous home in 2005), they helped me work through some issues with a dealer and corrected things in a hurry.

As with BBQ, you'll find different tastes for each person, the bottom line is you don't have to get Crestron to have a truly remarkable, high end home automation. I could go on, suffice it to say there are a lot of advantages with Elan (and others).
Control4 is not full DIY - just want to be honest and not have misleading info out there. You can program 100% of your system once the hardware/drivers are installed by your dealer. There are remote dealers who this yes remotely and do not come to your house and takes them all of a few minutes depending on the drivers and hardware in question. Once they are in you can continue to pay the dealer to program or you can take over and program everything on your own. No limitations to the detail level of programming, you just cannot add hardware to your project without dealer support first.

Over the years C4 has taken more steps in the DIY direction; who knows if they will go full out DIY in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page