Recs for cameras & SW? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-11-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After having my PS3 delivery disappear from my front door I've decided that I want to add some cameras to my growing HA setup. I'm looking to start with 2 cameras (front door and back yard) but can see adding one for either side of the house (+2), the garage (+1), and another part of the back yard that will be obscured from the first camera (+1). May even add 1 in the main house entry (+1). So, 2 to start with but up to 7 down the road.

Couple questions:
1 - How are cameras wired? Cat5? Coax? some other wiring?

2 - Any recommendations on which cameras to get?

3 - Any recs on which card to get to hook them all into my PC? Also, what are the min specs for a PC running this type of application?

4 - How hard is it to have the software do a vidcap every 5-10s and save that off to the hard drive so that if another package goes missing I can 'rewind' and see what happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-11-2007, 08:59 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
1) all of that is out there
2) If you can afford it, i'm beginning to think that IP cameras are the way to go. Inefficient as each one has a webserver/etc built in and don't need a PC, but I hear they're "much" easier to use.
3) See above - with IP cameras, you won't need a card. But, I hear folks are pretty happy with their Geovision cards. I'm beginning to hate my kodicomm, so I'd advise staying away from that. PC needs are very very light.
4) Different based on your sw. I have continuous recording on mine so I can stream live both via touchpanels and cellphone.

------------------------------------
I'm on 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2007, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Any recommended IP cameras to look into? Also, what are the best sources for these?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2007, 12:27 AM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
sorry, can't help you there. I only wish I had that much $$ - they're usually 2-3x more than regular cameras. An extra $200 or so per isn't an issue when you're only buying 1-2, as you'd spend that much on the card. Given that I have 8, it's a whole other story.

If no one else pings back here, try cocoontech. I think Steve & upstatemike bought IP cameras, and wenjt through a whole analysis on them.

------------------------------------
I'm on 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm still a fan of the cheapie Core Technology CC408 cameras, often marketed as PoolCams. They are Black and White, but through a single Cat5 connection offer 480lines of video, one-way audio, motion detection, IR illumination, and power. The cable connects back to a breakout box that gives you standard composite stereo audio, video, an 1/8" jack for motion, and a wall wart for power. I've had only one fail out of 6 in nearly six years. I pick them up on e-bay for $40 to $60 each.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post

I'm still a fan of the cheapie Core Technology CC480 cameras, often marketed as PoolCams. They are Black and White, but through a single Cat5 connection offer 480lines of video, one-way audio, motion detection, IR illumination, and power. The cable connects back to a breakout box that gives you standard composite stereo audio, video, an 1/8" jack for motion, and a wall wart for power. I've had only one fail out of 6 in nearly six years. I pick them up on e-bay for $40 to $60 each.

Robert,

Where can I purchase these cameras and find the documentation?
I could not find them on ebay or yahoo.

Thanks.

Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwired View Post

Robert,

Where can I purchase these cameras and find the documentation?
I could not find them on ebay or yahoo.

Thanks.

Sorry, I mistyped...They are CC408's. Here's one link:

http://www.eyespyli.com/cc408.htm

and another:

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByMa...Item/CC408EPX/

They are made in China and are getting more difficult to find. I just periodically look on ebay for them under PoolCam or Pool Camera. They can also be found on the Xanboo site.

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page