Motorola Premise 2.1 now available for free download. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Motorola has decided to allow individuals to download their extremely powerful home automation for free. Their software was used in the 2006 Home of the Year award winner for Electronic House Magazine for example.

Unfortuantely Motorola has discontinued support of the application that they had purchased from Lantronix, but has made the excellent decision to allow access to the full unlocked dealer edition(supports far more websites, serial ports and so on compared to the standard edition). They've also decided to allow access to their driver development kit, and a thriving community is continuing to develop drivers for this extensible environment (Insteon and UPB for example).

You can get the software from Motorola at premisesystems.

The Motorola support forum is now only read-only, but is still online.

The community that is quite active in Yahoo groups.

For those that have been looking for a very powerful and extensible environment, but have been put off by the pricing, check out Premise for a possible solution. I've been using it for a little while (since it's free release) and I'm really enjoying it's integration into my home.

EDIT: sorry there are no URL links, I'm too new a member to AVS to post URL's, I'll come back and edit after I've posted a couple more times so that the restriction is lifted. Hopefully you'll see this as usefull information rather than some spam issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-16-2007, 07:10 PM

Is this a newer version than the one that was freely available last May when Motorola decided to officially abandon ship?
post #3 of 9 Old 01-17-2007, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Motorola Premise 2.1
Published: May 19, 2006
Build 15117

So if you had downloaded it during that time, there's not a new version. What is new is the community development of Insteon, UPB and other drivers using the driver development kit.

So the "support" is not really any greater than many of the freeware applications currently out there, but it had a large custom installation base during it's commerical phase and had a lot of companies develop drivers and support for Premise. A number of the custom installers still use this system and the community that exists is quite active.

Currently besides the offical drivers bundled with the software, you can download the following from the forums (both Motorola's read-only forum and also from the Active YahooGroups community).

Insteon
NuVo Technologies Essentia Generation-D
Denon-4802
Samsung SIR-TS360 HD DirecTV receiver
Integra DVD
UPB driver
Sharp Aquos LCD Displays
Sony AV receivers with serial ports
OnQ Tech ALC Branch Interface module
XM Satellite XM-PCR
SAPI 5.1 Speech Native (works great with AT&T Natural Voices)
Yamaha DPX1000 Projector
Creston
Russound CAV6.6
Kenwood DT-7000s Sirius Satellite Radio
Nuvo T2 tuner
Premise UPnP Control Point driver
SpeechCommander Speech recognition for Premise Systems
post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2007, 06:48 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for the information. Here's the link.

http://www.premisesystems.com/

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2007, 06:50 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post

Is this a newer version than the one that was freely available last May when Motorola decided to officially abandon ship?

According to the website, this is the same version.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #6 of 9 Old 01-21-2007, 02:33 PM

Why did they discontinue the software. It seemed well architected with a fairly strong following.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-21-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
It was purchased by Motorola. I don't have any insider information, but one would assume it was a victim of sort of change of direction (very common in big companies with the re-org de jure), or a company political vendetta (someone's fiefdom was threatened), or it suddenly was noticed by someone besides the Jr. VP of Whatever who did the aquisition deal and suddenly all the other VPs of Whatever felt that they had to get a piece of the action and it was pulled in so many directions at once that it could never be completed.

But, who knows. I'd love to hear the real story if anyone knows.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #8 of 9 Old 01-22-2007, 05:20 AM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by keatwilkins View Post

Why did they discontinue the software. It seemed well architected with a fairly strong following.

1. Because large companies have been going after the home automation market for years and trying to turn it into a PC paradigm i.e. make a fortune by opening up the markey to EVERYONE. Then they discover the reality, which is that the cable guy can't install a home automation system for $199.

2. Because SO FAR no software based company has been able to break into this market in a significant way for reasons beyond the scope of this discussion.

3. The history of Premise is typical. Started as a software company. The first "real piece" of home automation software ever developed (there are now other choices such as CQC). Bought up by a large company. I thought it was Amp. Then sold to Motorola. Then shut down by Motorola.

I agree this development is really cool and a small community could keep it alive now and possibly even grow it that they have released the development kit - if only they open sourced it.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You can run Premise even under windows 7!

I just started using Premise 6 months ago, and love it. I can do things with Premise for free that only $30,000+ installed systems seem to be able to do.

http://www.cocoontech.com/wiki/Premise

Support forum: http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showforum=51

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Premise now has the following two new options:

1. Open source (interpreted vbscript) iPhone driver!
2. Zwave driver allowing for two way communication with lights (updated version will be posted soon that also supports polling beta version is posted now), zwave thermostat support is also coming

Some fairly recent downloads available: a linksys wireless webcam driver, klipsch subwoofer driver, twci weather module, speach driver that offers vista support, UPB driver, Weeder digital I/O rs232 card... and many more.

Just happened to be stopping by and thought I'd give everyone an update.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page