RF fan dimmer?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-21-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have searched for a very long time for a eperiance fan dimmer. I only need one, it really doesn't seem like a complicated problem, but apparently it is. I am new to home automation, so I know very little about this. I would like dimmer that would replace the current dimmer I have, but is RF. I would also like a way I could use my infrared 880 to control it, so an infrared to RF converter would also be needed.

I have seen infrared to RF converters for z-wave, however I can find no dimmers that support fans, just lights. The dimmer I had before my current one was not designed for fans, and made a loud hum whenever the fan was in use.

For a dimmer to work with a fan, is there something special about the circuitry, or is it just a dimmer designed for a greater electrical load?

Thank you for your time and patience, I am new to home automation, and wold love advice from people with more knowledge and experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-21-2007, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You would be better to run a powerline technology dimmer and then an IR to powerline.
If you are thinking about PC based automation, this is simple. Just some standard hardware parts and some off the shelf software to load and configure. And the basis of your rest of automation.

CEO
Tallus LLC
post #3 of 16 Old 01-21-2007, 07:50 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Martin over at AutomatedOutlet who knows *much* more than I told me that you cannot (should not?) run a dimmer to a motor to alter it's speed b/c it's more likely to burn it out.

Yet another thread in which i've quickly exhausted my knowledge. But, as I was searching for the same holy grail and was baffled why I couldn't find anyone who'd advertise a fan dimmer, it's the answer I was given.

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #4 of 16 Old 01-21-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

There are "dimmers" designed specifically as fan motor controllers. I think Martin even sells one of them.
http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...7&cat=0&page=2

http://www.smarthome.com/solution29.html

CEO
Tallus LLC
post #5 of 16 Old 01-21-2007, 09:17 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Great link, thanks. I wonder if Martin meant that there's no zWave equivalent. I'll have to ask.

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #6 of 16 Old 01-21-2007, 10:00 PM

You can't use a standard dimming switch on a fan because the dimming of a bulb is done by rapidly turning the light on and off.

From my understanding, doing this to a motor is bad juju and can cause the motor to burn out quickly. This is also the why you have to buy special dimmable CFLs because the baffle on regular CFLs can't handle rapid power on/off.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-23-2007, 10:41 AM

I believe that Leviton is planning on rolling out a z-wave fan dimmer in their Vizia line.

PSN ID: fr0z3n_f1r3

post #8 of 16 Old 01-23-2007, 12:28 PM

Lutron has their non-system maestro fan control. I would hope sooner or later it will cross populate into Ra and HomeWorks RF, just like a lot of their other lines do.

Also, Miro by wattstopper has a controllable fan switch but not sure how well it works. I just picked up the line to fill the gap between RadioRa and people who request x-10
post #9 of 16 Old 02-26-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I just purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan/light and I would love to be able to control it from a Harmony 890. The fan came with a remote and receiver. It has fan speed high/med/low and light on/off. Does anyone know if there has been any Z wave wireless fan control kits put out?
post #10 of 16 Old 03-02-2007, 04:46 AM
jkv
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post

Lutron has their non-system maestro fan control. I would hope sooner or later it will cross populate into Ra and HomeWorks RF, just like a lot of their other lines do.

Also, Miro by wattstopper has a controllable fan switch but not sure how well it works. I just picked up the line to fill the gap between RadioRa and people who request x-10

I have a Lutron HomeServe (RF) system in my house and I am hoping that some day Lutron will produce a HomeServe device to control a ceiling fan....

Riverside Cinemas
post #11 of 16 Old 03-02-2007, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Just an update, I talked to someone at zwaveproducts.com about a Z Wave fan fontroller and he said "They are working on it now". I didn't ask exactly who "they" were but I look forward to this product.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Micah said:
You can't use a standard dimming switch on a fan because the dimming of a bulb is done by rapidly turning the light on and off.

That's almost right, Micah.

Non-inductive load "dimmers" work by clipping or "chopping off" the top of the AC power wave-form. So instead of a nice round "hill" on top of the sine wave, you get a flat-topped hill that looks just like they are about to build another WallOfChina-Mart!

Inductive loads don't play well with clipped wave forms. What you need for an inductive load like a fan is an attenuator, not a dimmer.

More info than you'd like on motors...
post #13 of 16 Old 03-21-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Non-inductive load "dimmers" work by clipping or "chopping off" the top of the AC power wave-form.

No, they don't. They chop the waveform up, by switching the triac on at some point after the zero crossing, then allowing the triac to switch off, when the load current drops to zero, at the zero crossing. The top of the waveform remains intact.

Quote:

you have to buy special dimmable CFLs because the baffle on regular CFLs can't handle rapid power on/off.

It's called a ballast.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-15-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

I just purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan/light and I would love to be able to control it from a Harmony 890. The fan came with a remote and receiver. It has fan speed high/med/low and light on/off. Does anyone know if there has been any Z wave wireless fan control kits put out?

Is this possible? I am experiencing this now. I cannot seem to figure out a way to get the Harmony 890 to work with this fan.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-16-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Well is has to be a "Z-Wave" fan controller which at this point does not exist. As I posted the guy told me it was in the works but I have yet to see one surface. If anyone finds one, let me know and I will purchase it.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-16-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post

Homeworks Wireless RF Fan control releases 2/22/08.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page