Insteon questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-23-2007, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to buy only 1 or 2 or 3 INSTEON SwitchLinc V2 Dimmers and control them with a RF universal remote control like the Harmony 890 or URC MX-3000 without the need for any other equipment?

Are there any other master control box that Insteon requires or can I just purchase the dimmers?

For a three way switch, does the Insteon dimmer need a companion at the other end like the Lutron RadioRA dimmers?

I've been looking at home lighting options for awhile. The Lutron RadioRA is expensive and requires a specific controller box to communicate the lights with a third party universal remote. I'm just wondering if Insteon works the same or differently.

I'm just looking for basic light operation. Although the capability to set timers and maybe control over the Internet a possibility down the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

As I understand Insteon now, no, you would need more hardware to control the lights. I think you could get a couple of switches, program them with an X10 address and then use a IR-x10 bridge to control them. As for controlling without other equipment you may look into zwave as I think some of the Harmony remotes can control Zwave switches.

All men are animals, some of us just make better pets.

Moose Drool Moovie Theater
post #3 of 5 Old 01-23-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoCowboy View Post

As I understand Insteon now, no, you would need more hardware to control the lights. I think you could get a couple of switches, program them with an X10 address and then use a IR-x10 bridge to control them. As for controlling without other equipment you may look into zwave as I think some of the Harmony remotes can control Zwave switches.

Insteon dimmers are both RF and powerline.

Why would I need an X10 IR bridge? The MX-3000 and Harmony 890 are both capable of RF signals. Are RF universal remotes not capable of sending RF signals the dimmers can understand?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear33765 View Post

Insteon dimmers are both RF and powerline.

Why would I need an X10 IR bridge? The MX-3000 and Harmony 890 are both capable of RF signals. Are RF universal remotes not capable of sending RF signals the dimmers can understand?

Because Insteon isn't really RF Not all of the Insteon devices send/rec RF. My understanding is that only the SignalLincs actually do that, and only to repeat commands on the 'insteon network'. The other devices just use the powerline. So, in order to get the signal from your remote to the powerline you'll need a bridge.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-24-2007, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Or you could get this ugly beast when it becomes available:

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?...=post&id=56133

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page