• 1 Post By Hothersale
  • 1 Post By Wild Penguin

post #1 of 19 Old 02-11-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can anyone recommend an infrared controlled power switch? I have a speaker unit that doesn't have a remote-controllable power switch, but I want to be able to turn it on and off using my harmony remote.

Little help? Thanks in advance!
Elix likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-11-2007, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Never mind. After a bit of research, these Smartstrip surge protectors (http://www.bitsltd.net/SmartStrip/buy.htm#largeadvanced) seem to be just what the doctor ordered. Now I can have my speaker unit -- and my back/bias lighting -- come on and go off with my plasma monitor, which is even better than my original remote control idea.

Still, you'd think it would be easier to find an inexpensive IR-controlled power switch for home theater purposes. RF models seem to be fairly abundant, but not IR. The closest thing I could find was a $180 (!) Lutron model, or an X10 solution that was overly complex for what I needed to do. Maybe there's a business opportunity here?
Elix likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-14-2007, 09:28 AM

Liked: 11
Hothersale can you provide me with a link to the Lutron model. I have been looking for such a switch for a while but have had no luck. Like you mentioned the X10 option is too complex for such a simple application.

I see that you are using the surge suppressors, so I am guess that you are using the 12V trigger from ur TV to turn on and off the power strip?

sCiEnt
post #4 of 19 Old 02-15-2007, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hothersale View Post

Still, you'd think it would be easier to find an inexpensive IR-controlled power switch

I've seen these available for use with Christmas lights. A quick Google search found quite a few, but they all seem to have RF remotes now. Perhaps you can find an older IR model.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-21-2007, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCiEnt View Post

Hothersale can you provide me with a link to the Lutron model. I have been looking for such a switch for a while but have had no luck. Like you mentioned the X10 option is too complex for such a simple application.

I see that you are using the surge suppressors, so I am guess that you are using the 12V trigger from ur TV to turn on and off the power strip?

Sorry for the slow reply -- I don't read the home automation forum regularly. Anyway, I saw the Lutron device here: http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/uniqueitems.htm, but I imagine it can be found elsewhere.

Yes, I use my TV as the trigger device to turn on and off the other switched outlets on the power bar. I got the power bar on Monday and it works GREAT. Highly recommended.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post

I've seen these available for use with Christmas lights. A quick Google search found quite a few, but they all seem to have RF remotes now. Perhaps you can find an older IR model.

I spent hours searching for a RF controlled power switch, but came up blank except for one at $200 ;-( The wireless RF ones sell for about $20.

The only one I found was the Xantech AC2
http://www.xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_ac2.htm

peter
post #7 of 19 Old 02-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Hothersale and others

It is too bad that Bits Ltd Smart Power Strips do not have detailed specs.

In my set up I'd like to use the Smart Power Strip to be activated when I take my VCR or DVD player from standby-mode to full-on mode. The IR control on these only works when they are in stand-by, not off all together. Do you think that this would work - that the tiny increase in current needed could be detected?

Thanks

Peter
post #8 of 19 Old 02-27-2007, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumeria View Post

Hothersale and others

It is too bad that Bits Ltd Smart Power Strips do not have detailed specs.

In my set up I'd like to use the Smart Power Strip to be activated when I take my VCR or DVD player from standby-mode to full-on mode. The IR control on these only works when they are in stand-by, not off all together. Do you think that this would work - that the tiny increase in current needed could be detected?

Thanks

Peter

It's possible, because you can adjust the sensitivity threshold of the device by turning a little dial, but I would contact the folks at Bits Ltd for a more authoritative answer.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hothersale View Post

It's possible, because you can adjust the sensitivity threshold of the device by turning a little dial, but I would contact the folks at Bits Ltd for a more authoritative answer.

I called Bits Ltd and talked with Russell. He suggested that I get a version with the "hysterisis resistor" removed which I did.

It works like a charm (after adjusting the sensisitivity setting), sensing when my DVD player goes from stand-by to on mode.

peter
post #10 of 19 Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 PM

It's at dealextreme dot com but i can't post url because it thinks im a spammer until i've posted three times

Universal IR Remote Controlled AC Outlet for Appliances (110V)

Price: $5.68
post #11 of 19 Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 PM

heres two
post #12 of 19 Old 12-05-2008, 09:57 PM

three
post #13 of 19 Old 12-05-2008, 09:58 PM

here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13147

Universal IR Remote Controlled AC Outlet for Appliances (110V)

Price: $5.68
post #14 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Those individual IR-Remote controlled AC Outlets are crap. I bought 3, and could not get IR-control functionality to work on any of them. Them construction of the device is flimsy, I wouldn't recommend plugging anything expensive into them.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevual View Post

Those individual IR-Remote controlled AC Outlets are crap. I bought 3, and could not get IR-control functionality to work on any of them. Them construction of the device is flimsy, I wouldn't recommend plugging anything expensive into them.
The Deal Extreme ones? Yea they look like a fire waiting to happen!

So nothing else out there to get this one? Unbelievable. I have a separate amp powering the four bass shakers I have in my couches and I would love to be able to turn that amp on and off with my Harmony remote! So lame that this isnt an easier fix. I might just build my own.

post #16 of 19 Old 05-22-2013, 09:08 PM

Well I'm looking for this now for my ATV2. The device stops working periodically and needs to be power cycled. The ATV2 plug is somewhat difficult to pull out and it's not very ideal to tell people that's what they need to do if i'ts not working. As a last resort I'm just going to use one of the RF devices and eventually either upgrade my IR to RF or find some device that will convert the RF to IR or something like that.

Edit

Ok so I think what I'm going to do is first just buy this ($15 RF Power outlet on Amazon)

I am just going to leave that by the ATV for now, but down the road I might look into doing something like this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1300232/ir-control-for-rf-devices

Found the link from this thread

On an unrelated note for me, you can also get this lighted tap that will light up when the power is on for the outlet. I think I'm just going to buy one anyways as I could see some potential uses like putting on the end of an extension cord.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-23-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I used to use some of those cheap RF outlet dongles. They worked well.

They were just a gateway drug though causing me to spends hundreds of dollars on Z-wave stuff.

I'd figuratively kill to find a IR to Z-wave bridge rolleyes.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 19 Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Liked: 18
Im just working on building my own IR AC power switch. Got tired of waiting for some Chinese company to do it.

post #19 of 19 Old 07-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Liked: 11
Hi,

I've bought a LIRC -compatible receiver that has a power button switch (connects in series with your MB power button connector), but couldn't remember where I got it. After a while searching, I finally found it. I'm suprised no-one has linked it here. Probably because of the wrong Google search words.... if you'd use IR wake-up switch, you'd find this by yourself:

http://www.atric.de/IR-Einschalter/index.php

Don't be afraid by the german page. There's english instructions on the page (in PDF, albeit in some parts the English is not perfect), too.
Elix likes this.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page