1 vs 5 RG6 Cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cable/Sat companies r able to transmit channels to multiple boxes throughout our entire home via a single coax. Why do we need to use 5 RG6 or 2 Cat-5e for whole house HD Video & Sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-05-2007, 06:57 AM

Because they have the transmitters capable of sending the information across the cable, and your receivers (TV, Digital Box, etc...) has the ability to decode the information they're transmitting. I guess if you had some sort of transmitter you could do it too *shrug*
post #3 of 4 Old 03-05-2007, 07:47 AM

Because we are generally trying to distribute a signal that has been decompressed. Your TV has the ability to receive and decompress over the air HD transmissions, but it can't currently decompress the output from your cable box, DVD player etc. Soon, we might be able to use cablecard or other technologies to take the cable signal straight to the set and the decompression and possibly decoding will be done there, but for the foreseeable future, a centralized DVD player or server will continue to require multiple cables.

In my opinion, doing video decompression at the display makes more sense than trying to distribute uncompressed signals, but I'm definitely in the minority with that view.

Mike

Mike

An avid DIY'r and a proponent of Firewire
post #4 of 4 Old 03-05-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrew View Post

In my opinion, doing video decompression at the display makes more sense than trying to distribute uncompressed signals, but I'm definitely in the minority with that view.

Mike

I'm with you if only for cost effectiveness. Having a decompressor at every location is less cost effective than having one decompressor and distributing the A/V from that point. Cable is relatively cheap compared to cable and a piece of hardware at every location (especially when you have lots of locations)
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page