Best brand of Cat 6 cable and RG-6 Cable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm about to start wiring up my house with is currently being built. I'm going to run Cat 6 throughout the house for internet/phone and other components. What is the best brand of Cat 6 to use and what gauge etc? the house is about 4000 square feet total.

I'm also going to run RG-6 quad sheild throughout the house, what's the best brand for this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 02:24 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
are you running just a single RG6 or multiple?

For multiple runs, I love my planet waves minicoax bundle. Ludicrously simple to use their screwless connectors, plus it's pretty flexible.

I have to admit, some of the recent posts about distributing CAT6 vs RG6 for component, and using baluns have been pretty compelling though. Enough for me to think twice about what it is that i'd recommend...

------------------------------------
I'm on 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 02:24 PM

Liked: 13
We're in the finishing stages of our new home as well and I ran all the stuff you're talking about. I used Belden Quad-Shielded RG6 throughout. I personally can't see a reason to run CAT6 for phones, even if you're using VOIP. WAY overkill. I ran CAT5e for all the phone and security cameras. I ran CAT6 everywhere else for data. As for brand of cable for the UTP stuff, it really doesn't make that much of a difference what you use as long as it's a quality cable.
Here's a link to what I used for data.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

Here's what I used for phone/cameras.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

And here's what I used for RG6.
https://www.tselectronic.com/belden/...0d4f46a161e1f9
post #4 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Without reservation: Belden. For both CAT6 and RG6.

Its not cheap, but its good.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 02:52 PM

Just completed the first run through of wire for my new house and for the cat5e I went cheap. The differences with cat5e are more in the termination than the cable. Cat6 was not worth it even though I have a good switch (Extreme Summit 400).

For RG6 I went with a local supplier Windycity Wire. They have a unique marking system on the cable that makes identification easier. Quality of the cable looks good but as with any termination is really the deciding factor. Even good cable with bad connections will suck.

Worry more about the install and less about the cable.

LathanM - Who brought the popcorn?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LathanM View Post

Quality of the cable looks good but as with any termination is really the deciding factor. Even good cable with bad connections will suck.

Worry more about the install and less about the cable.

I agree, but if you have ever tried to put a Snap-N-Seal fitting on Home Depot QSRG6 vs. Belden, you will find the fitting slides on Belden easily and you really need to work it to get it on the HD stuff. My guess is the Belden will a better connection since the cable was not contorted getting the fitting on.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I agree with herdfan. The good stuff may not make a functional difference in many cases but it's loads easier to work with. Terminating Canare vs Radio Shack cable is night and day different. Ditto for CAT 5. The cheap stuff with the occasional color bands or blotches is a real PITA compared to the little better stuff in which the pairs are continous color. Especially true if one is color challenged.

Les
post #8 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post

I agree, but if you have ever tried to put a Snap-N-Seal fitting on Home Depot QSRG6 vs. Belden, you will find the fitting slides on Belden easily and you really need to work it to get it on the HD stuff. My guess is the Belden will a better connection since the cable was not contorted getting the fitting on.

I have used both and never noticed a difference when attaching ends, Snap-N-Seal or old style crimp. I guess I developed a knack for it from dealing with coax networks and wireless antennas. Nothing like attaching a couple of hundred ends in computer labs and wiring closets to build up your skills.

LathanM - Who brought the popcorn?

post #9 of 11 Old 04-07-2007, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's comments!
post #10 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 05:27 AM

Belden RG6 quad is definitely the way to go with RG6. As for data the best cabling you can purchase is siemon cat 6a, its all going to cat 7 so cat 6a will definitely future proof you. Keep in mind that for long runs you can use your data cable as hdmi, do not purchase any hdmi over 15 meters long as the signal strength is dramatically reduced, i ran data over 35 meters and have had no problem whatsoever with my hdmi terminations. At my house on each of the five t.v points i ran 4 x cat 6a, 4 x RG6 quad, 1 optic and 1 hdmi for lengths shorter than 15 meters, they all go back to my server cabinet. One major thing you need to think of is to segregate as much of the cabling as possible from 240 volt cables as they cause havoc to the quality of your signal. Siemon is shielded and is the best but you are also paying premium for both the cabling, patch leads, patch panels and the jacks but it will definitely future proof you and your family for atleast 20 years in a domestic environment. 

post #11 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Way to go! Must be a record. You resurrected a thread that has been dead for almost 7 years.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List