Home Office VoIP "Business" phone recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a "remote" worker, meaning my company is in another city in another state, and I have a home office out of which I work. Right now, the short term telephony approach is using Vonage, as it allows for having a phone number in the same area code as our headquarters. long term they are evaluating the use of Cisco IP phones that can run VPN clients to connect into the HQ phone system (currently cisco IP-based).

My situation is this: I have the Linksys PAP2 device on my desk, and it provides the analog conversion for my AT&T 2-line phone, as well as the connection to Vonage. The AT&T phone appears to be dying a slow death (it has served valiantly over countless late nights over the past 4.5 years), and I want to get something new.

I am looking for recommendations for a phone that:

1) could potentially remove the PAP2 from my desk and connect directly to Vonage. but could be analog as well. (If the PAP2 stays, I am OK with it)
2) have analog capability to allow me to have my home line coming into the same phone (this may invalidate item #1).
3) has caller-ID and call-waiting-caller-ID capabilities.
4) full duplex speakerphone
5) 20+ number memory

I have spent the better part of the last two days trying to search the internet (google.com) for solutions, but while I find many phones, I find little that tells me this IP phone can connect directly to Vonage, etc. I also searched the forum as well, btu I always find that difficult as your search terms have to be very specific, and it picks up items from people's sigs in the search.

Also, I recognize the following:

1) I know that Vonage is in court with Verizon and may cease to do business. Use of Vonage is required by my company, and their position is to wait until there is an actual ruling to make any sort of decision (everyone was so convinced that NTP was putting RIM out of business at one point, remember?).
2) This is not an optimal environment, but it is what I have.

So I am looking for input from people that have used Vonage for their home office and have selected a "business" phone and have been happy with it...

Your thoughts are appreciated...

Randy Piatt
---------------------------
If guidance counselors were such good judges of career choices, would they be guidance counselors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love to see a answer to this, I have a very similar need.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Panasonic has a few systems that will let you connect 2 or 4 lines to the central phone and do wirless on the rest.

I have a Panasonic with 4 lines and Vonage FX (phone cord) connects to line 3 and my other two land lines connect to 1 and 2.

I set up the ringers so I know when line 3 is ringing. Id, Speaker and a few other things can be done at the base. Look into Panasonic KX-TG4500B .

I am now changing all my setup for an expensive solution using VPN, routers, and some programing so that when someone dials an extension at the office it will ring at my home office or wireless Cisco phone anywhere I can get wifi. Have not installed it yet but Cisco guys say it works.

Hope this helps.

J