zwave switches... ACT or VIZIA?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-11-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to install Zwave. Many can lights Ill switch out to CF bulbs so dimmers wont be needed on these..

The cost of Vizia is almost 2x cost of ACT. I heard something about 2 way info on Vizia. how important is this/?

I am using w/HOMESEER.

Thanks,

meevan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-11-2007, 01:20 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Active NOtification (2way) is for the device to send an update to your software package if someone manually changed the switch.

The other option is for your software package to poll your devices periodically.

Me, I'm setup CQC to poll each switch every 2s. Given that I have probably 15ish switches by now, and it only takes <0.5s to do a poll, my worst case is that i'm 7-10s behind the curve for a manual update. Often times I'm within 2-3s, though.

I'm am *totally* fine with that lagtime, but then again I don't do triggered events based on manual switch movements. But, if you do stuff like the following where a (worst case) 7-10s lagtime would suck, you may care.
- "if i manually turn on the entry light and it's after 8pm and there's been no motion inside the house so I must have just come home, so turn on the inside lights"

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-11-2007, 03:54 PM

I use Intermatic brand zwave switches. One pet peeve I have found in my use of the trial version of CQC is that each time it polls the switch (which I also have set for 2s) the switch LEDs blink. This results in almost constant blinking. I do not know, but it sounds like the Vizia switches would not have this problem.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-11-2007, 04:16 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
LED blinking isn't a result of CQC, it's a result of polling. No way can any software that doesn't do polling get around that.

Your software would have to support Active Notification - not sure anyone does as the Vizia stuff is pretty new.

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #5 of 9 Old 05-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

I think Intermatic is getting ready to release a new series of switches the Intouch line or something like that also Cooper's Aspire is coming out shortly too. I'm waiting on both to get some users feedback.

-Josh

All men are animals, some of us just make better pets.

Moose Drool Moovie Theater
post #6 of 9 Old 05-12-2007, 08:44 PM

The ACT swithes all support instant status. In HomeSeer, add an association between the switch and HomeSeer. When the switch is operated manually, it will send a command immediately to HomeSeer, updating its status. You can then trigger events if you like.

They also support 4 groups for associations. Group 1 is for a normal single tap of the switch, group 2 is for double tap, and group 3 is for tripple tap. You can associate up to 5 devices to each group. This is handy for setting special scenes.

If you associate HomeSeer with group 4, then the switch will send its status to HomeSeer if its controlled by some other device. For example, if someone uses a handheld remote to control the switch, the status will be sent to any device (or HomeSeer) that is associated with group 4.

The Vizia switches support the instant status also, but it does lag for a couple of seconds. Not really an issue unless you want to trigger an event off of the switch changing status.

Hope this helps,

-Rich
HomeSeer Technologies LLC
post #7 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Vizia RF is far superior product

zwave products
post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2007, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Zwave,
Any additional background to support that Vizia is "far superior"?
Why? have you used / tested both?

CEO
Tallus LLC
post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post

Zwave,
Any additional background to support that Vizia is "far superior"?
Why? have you used / tested both?

I'd like to add my own questions to that list, if you don't mind smoothtlk. ZWave, who are you and who do you represent?
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page