Insteon...Yes or No?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-12-2007, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had a fairly sophistacated X10 system in my house for over 10 years. It has at least 25 devices, 4 house codes, a bridging amplifier, numerous filters that prevent X10 from being attenuated, two infared controllers that control many devices from my bed as well as my living room, a telephone controller, etc.
It is 95-99% reliable but occassionally I spend hours troubleshooting why something isn't working. Any comments on Insteon?? Smarthome is agressively promoting this technology. There does NOT seem to be enough Insteon devices as X10 has.

Comments on Insteon??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-12-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I say NO!

You won't have the signal issues you had with x10, but the quality of the devices is not good and the software is not equal to what you can get for X10. Plus as you noted, a lack of devices.

Check out UPB or Zwave if you are itching to make a change. Check out cocoontech.com and do a search for Insteon.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-12-2007, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had pretty good success with Insteon. However, there are many how haven't. As herdfan suggests, I strongly agree, check cocoontech. There are some very passionate folks there.
Based on some recent posts on Smarthome's forum, it looks like they are getting their act together a bit more and have fixed the paddle problem, but I don't think they have come out and said so themselves. I'd like to see something from them on that issue.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-12-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Insteon is a product that would have been dumped long ago if it weren't for the attractive price point, and now even that is going away. I'd say look elsewhere.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-12-2007, 05:59 PM

Sophisticated X10? Isn't that an oxymoron?
post #6 of 13 Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.Ca View Post

It is 95-99% reliable but occassionally I spend hours troubleshooting why something isn't working....

Greg,

I would stay with X10 if your reliability is already as high as you state.

I was in the same boat until I did away with my active signal bridge and replaced it with a passive coupler and a XTB at my main house panel. My X10 system is now rock solid reliable. I don't remember the last time I noticed a X10 failure. It has been at least 6-12 months.

I have 30+ dimmers and switches on 3 sub-panels, Wired signal pads, wireless and IR controllers along with a Ocelot controller. I use a mixture of Leviton and PCS dimmers along with a couple of X10 brand plugin units for Christmas lighting.

"I'm a fanatic without a cause and I believe in it!" - B. D. G.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-12-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
I say Yes. I have over 30 Insteon devices, and over a year without a problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-13-2007, 10:01 AM

I love my Insteon house. I only wish I could run the house with my MX-3000 instead of their goofy remote.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-13-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
ive been pretty disappointed with how slow insteon has put out new products... and i have been waiting to start my mcontrol based home automation system. i love the insteon price point but that dont have much beyond the electrical outlets/dimmers.

I want to replace my thermostat and let mcontrol run it but insteon doesnt have a thermostat at all yet. But the z-wave stuff is very expensive in contrast.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a small house with a small Insteon implementation, under 25 devices. I enjoy 100% reliability both mechanically and electronically. I use PowerHome for the software and have IR and x10 RF wireless control that works great.

That said, it sounds like your stuff is working pretty good. Why change? If anything I would suggest when adding new devices you add Insteon and set them up for x10. At some point, through attrition and new devices, you might have enough Insteon to justify changing over.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
post #11 of 13 Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 AM

I also have Insteon in my home... ~50 switches/keypads. I just installed it all a few weeks back and am waiting for all the etched/labeled buttons but so far I am pretty happy. I have not had a chance to do the majority of the programming yet but the software (PowerLinc?) is far from ideal. It gets the job done but I've seen much more elegant solutions. I had looked into Vantage before Insteon and the price point was just too high for what I was trying to accomplish. Eventually I'll extend the system to include both thermostats (Aprilaire 8800-series is what I'm looking at now) and security system (not sure but eyeing the Elk M1Gold but I hate the looks of the keypads)... all in all Insteon has been fine for me - no real issues at all. Ktulu_1 has the best advice I think since Insteon is compatible with X10... just start adding whatever new devices you're missing if you current system is stable.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm happy with my 60+ device Insteon install (upgraded from a small X10 system). Signal reliability is fantastic. I've had a couple switch failures, but overall I can't complain.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-16-2007, 01:31 PM

Here's my story on switching from X10 to Insteon. (I would recommend it)
http://dansnetwork.blogspot.com/2007...o-insteon.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page