Any PowerRise Hunter Douglas Motorized Shade Experince Here? - Page 5 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #121 of 131 Unread 10-15-2014, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass124 View Post
Thanks for the info!...so if i am only motorizing 1 window...just make sure it has RF capability for the Platinum App if I want to upgrade it in the future? is that what youre saying? I'm motorizing a larger sized top down bottom up cellular Applause blind...I want to make sure if Apple's Homekit or Wemo is eventually compatible with Hunter Douglas, that I have it as an option....for scheduling the blind opening and closing.
Yes, you definitely want a Platinum App compatible (RF) window covering. Two reasons: First, if it's not Platinum compatible now, it (almost certainly) won't be in the future. Second, the HD RF remote is way better than the IR remote (speaking from experience).

I think that in the future we'll see more and more third parties integrating HD window coverings into their systems, especially as more and more people have compatible window coverings. There's probably a little chicken-and-egg thing going on at this point (if not many people have the appropriate HD shades, why would a company bother spending the time and money integrating it into their system?).

If you have a Platinum App compatible shade (or shades) but no Bridge Kit, and later find a company that's integrating the HD system, you can always buy the Bridge Kit at that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 131 Unread 10-15-2014, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgojeffgo View Post
Yes, you definitely want a Platinum App compatible (RF) window covering. Two reasons: First, if it's not Platinum compatible now, it (almost certainly) won't be in the future. Second, the HD RF remote is way better than the IR remote (speaking from experience).

I think that in the future we'll see more and more third parties integrating HD window coverings into their systems, especially as more and more people have compatible window coverings. There's probably a little chicken-and-egg thing going on at this point (if not many people have the appropriate HD shades, why would a company bother spending the time and money integrating it into their system?).

If you have a Platinum App compatible shade (or shades) but no Bridge Kit, and later find a company that's integrating the HD system, you can always buy the Bridge Kit at that time.
My blinds installer says the remote that comes with the motorization is BOTH RF and IR...is that true? or are there really different kinds of remotes? he read me documentation stating that...and he says it's totally upgradeable in the future if i want to add the bridge kit at a later dat
post #123 of 131 Unread 10-15-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass124 View Post
My blinds installer says the remote that comes with the motorization is BOTH RF and IR...is that true? or are there really different kinds of remotes? he read me documentation stating that...and he says it's totally upgradeable in the future if i want to add the bridge kit at a later dat
I hadn't realized it before, but the remote I have is both RF and IR. It's a "Platinum Technology" remote "for PowerRise, PowerGlide, and PowerTilt Systems". So that remote will work for both RF and/or IR window coverings. You want to be sure that the window coverings have the RF capability, not just IR (although it might have both).

Here's how to know for sure that what you're buying is the right thing. According to the HD FAQ page ( http://www.hunterdouglas.com/#!/freq...sked-questions )
Quote:
The Platinum App is compatible with the following PowerRise 2.1 or PowerGlide 2.1 motorized products:

• Applause® Honeycomb Shades
• Duette® Honeycomb Shades (includes Top-Down, Top-Down/Bottom-Up, Duolite, and Skylight configurations)
• Designer Roller shades
• Designer Screen shades
• Luminette® Privacy Sheers
• Luminette® Modern Draperies
• Nantucket™ window shadings
• Pirouette® window shadings
• Silhouette® window shadings
• Skyline® Gliding Window Panels
• Vignette® Modern Roman Shades (Traditional™, Tailored™ and Tiered™ styles)

post #124 of 131 Unread 12-30-2014, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for anyone that is interested in controlling their hunter douglas platinum gateway from their Mac via an Alfred workflow..

https://github.com/schwark/alfred-hunterdouglas

inspired by code that tannewt had posted earlier in this thread. controls windows, rooms or scenes.
post #125 of 131 Unread 04-06-2015, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have any other updates on HD integration into Smart Things or any other automation?

I see Smart Things is integrating Somfy (Timber shades) with their V2 controller.

Panny 65VT50 // Elite SC-67 // Paradigm Millenia  // Paradigm Seismic 12 // Belkin PF60 // Popcorn Hour // Harmony 890

post #126 of 131 Unread 05-17-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I know this is an old thread but it shows fairly recent activity.

I just got 5 of these for my Master Bedroom. First off I was very unhappy to hear that you would only control 4 of them independently and that I would have to link up 2+ shades to be able to control them all via the remote (this seems to be different with the app but still annoying)

When they work they are great, but they seem to be VERY flaky. Sometimes only 2 of the 5 will get the signal through both the remote OR the Bridge kit, sometimes all of them will work, sometimes only 4 of them will work and sometimes they doesn't get the signal at all. I just got these a few days ago and we very excited but they seem to be way to flaky. Anyone else have this sort of experience?
post #127 of 131 Unread 05-17-2015, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by batlin27 View Post
I just got these a few days ago and we very excited but they seem to be way to flaky. Anyone else have this sort of experience?
Yes.

As part of integration I made a code change to repeat the last command after about 5 seconds - and that fixed the problem for me when shades are integrated into a larger system.

Now it is flaky only when the network layer on the HD bridge goes haywire, which happens more often than I would like...
post #128 of 131 Unread Yesterday, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have 3 older Duettes powered by transformers and controlled by a wall switch. I have had several problems over the years which have been due to the insubstantial wiring and connections. I have resorted to bits of tape and cut and splice.

They are not suitable for anywhere you cannot get to them for repairs or for any application where dependable service is needed.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

post #129 of 131 Unread Yesterday, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notek View Post
Yes.

As part of integration I made a code change to repeat the last command after about 5 seconds - and that fixed the problem for me when shades are integrated into a larger system.

Now it is flaky only when the network layer on the HD bridge goes haywire, which happens more often than I would like...
When you say integrated what do you mean? How do you do this?
post #130 of 131 Unread Yesterday, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post
I have 3 older Duettes powered by transformers and controlled by a wall switch. I have had several problems over the years which have been due to the insubstantial wiring and connections. I have resorted to bits of tape and cut and splice.

They are not suitable for anywhere you cannot get to them for repairs or for any application where dependable service is needed.
These are the battery ones. Lucky they are in a location that is easily acessable I am just annoyed that they work about 50% of the time the way I want them to Bad thing about blinds is they are non refundable since they are "custom" to the windows
post #131 of 131 Unread Today, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by batlin27 View Post
When you say integrated what do you mean? How do you do this?
Custom integration with RadioRA 2 system - HD shades are tied into RA2 morning/evening scenes, as well as into keypad buttons. You do this by writing a component which listens to events in RA2 and converts those to HD bridge commands, and you install it on any available server you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation