Portable Digital TV: Where are the Majors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-21-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I, too, have been looking for a 7- or 8-inch digital TV to replace my wife's soon-to-be obsolete analog. What strikes me from my research is that the few offerings out there are from off brands like Axion, Supersonic and Coby. I can't even find any customer reviews for those. Does anybody know why there are no current models from Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, Casio and other companies who made quality analog portables?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-22-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Must be the cost of the digital tuner and the license they seem to be doing the same
with dvdr by simply leaving off the tuner section or sales of portable tv's have dropped
or laptops coming with digital tuners have filled the void.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I wound up buying the Coby 7" and it was a PIECE OF CRAP! Lasted exactly one day. Yep, by Christmas night it was dead. No picture or sound. The F-fitting for the antenna was spinning around in its hole, so I popped the back off to tighten the fitting, thinking maybe the coax center conductor had been twisted loose. If I thought the outside looked cheesy, that was nothing compared to what I found inside. The construction reminded me of my first look inside a cheap transistor radio back in the 60s.

Fortunately if failed so soon that I was able to get my money back. For the same price I bought the Haier HLT71 from Amazon and couldn't be more pleased. It has a sold feel, excellent receiver sensitivity, great picture, intuitive menus and a real remote. My wife's thrilled with her new TV. I could have saved myself a lot of wasted time, disappointment and return shipping cost had I bought the Haier to begin with.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-09-2009, 08:46 AM

I found a video for iVIEW-780PTV on youtube. I think this is only unit has USB port and memory card slot. So you can use like it media player. But I have not seen one in the store yet.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Fortunately if failed so soon that I was able to get my money back. For the same price I bought the Haier HLT71 from Amazon and couldn't be more pleased. It has a sold feel, excellent receiver sensitivity, great picture, intuitive menus and a real remote. My wife's thrilled with her new TV. I could have saved myself a lot of wasted time, disappointment and return shipping cost had I bought the Haier to begin with.

I got the same model about a week ago, and also am happy with it. It seems like a quality device. However to my dismay I'm not picking up any signals with the antenna included with it. My old Sony Watchman at least used to pick up the signal of the local CBS affliate...this one doesn't though. It DOES however work great if I hook up the cable TV to it...but that won't help much I imagine when the power goes out. So I'm going to see if I can get a better antenna to use with it, and see if that works -- or maybe a digital converter box (a Winegard with the battery pack) would be even better. Not sure which I'll go with yet.

DGK
post #6 of 9 Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanB View Post

I bought the Haier HLT71 from Amazon and couldn't be more pleased. It has a sold feel, excellent receiver sensitivity, great picture, intuitive menus and a real remote.

Interesting, i've been eyeing these for a while. Sounds like you are pretty happy with it? [IMG]http://************************************/img/2464/i09b0128lrvx/smile.gif[/IMG]
post #7 of 9 Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Probably too little profit margin for the majors to get interested. The majors haven't marketed a portable TV (of any kind) in years. The Sony Watchman series was the last in the line.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

I wish Sony would get back into the portable TV business though. I loved (still love) my Watchman. In fact I had 2 -- a Watchman and the older style that also had an FM radio as well.

Though I do like the new Haier I have...the screen is so much nicer (as in larger) than the old 2-1/5 in. Watchman.

DGK
post #9 of 9 Old 05-27-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Sony has a portable DVD/TV combo out in Japan so a version for the US will probably show up some day. DVPFX860DT (DT for "digital tuner", I would assume):

Does anyone know of 7 to 10 inch LCD display (no tuner necessary) with component in (not composite in) that's not like $800 or so?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page