Archos 5, 60 G usage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I got my Archos 5, 4.8 screen 60 GB hard drive, just a month ago, from Best Buy, Canada. Mainly it was OK for the month and a half that I used it. Average day usage was 3-4 hours to watch the internet news, movies and read Pdf files with documentation and listen music. It looks that movies quality is pretty good screen is bright and clean, resolution is good as well and that you can see the normal format DIV X or Mpeg4 movies. On one charge for the brand new batteries It worked for four hours that was not bad you may watch 1.5 - 2 movies, brightness set to medium. When you read Pdf documents I faced with next problems: Archos work just the same hours as it do with the movies 3-4 hours, change of the pages takes for a while like a 5-10 seconds, option for zoom is not operates well: the font sizes some times are two small to read, and it is not support all the fonts as well (Cyrillic for instance). Another problem with the reading is the blinking screen, not only the reflection but the change of brightness during operation. Unfortunately all those problems do not permit to enjoy the quality of the reading. When you work with the Internet It is very hard to press the proper links using only finger and it do not have bigger zooming to get proper screen knob size. When you work with Google map that is something horrible it is so hard to get proper map size, in comparison with my son's I pod-tuch that I even dropped all attempt to do this after second attempt. With this kind of big screen they could give you mach more possibilities and simplicity then it really have. It is strange but the resolution for YouTube looks mach better on Ipod-tuch then on Archos. Sound quality and strength, loudness from the speaker is much worse then from Ipod-tuch as well, even when you using it with the headphones the quality is not very good.

Another issue is the customer support and warranty. The screen of this thing is very sensitive to the different kind of pressures and touches. I would recommend to use at least with screen protection because as soon as I moved my finger along it, I had a small piece of dry scab on my finger, and this small thing left the scratch on the screen. Do remember that this very sensitive SCREEN is NOT COVERED BY THE ARCHOS WARRANTY AT ALL! And the REPARE OF THIS SCREEN WILL COST YOU around 150 USD plus shipment cost to the nearest office, check where it have to be shipped, because for me it was USA, Illinois. MY SCREEN BECOMES BROKEN WITHOUT ANY EXESSIVE PRESSURE AND DROPPING IN A MONTH AND HALF, I used it very carefully: always put my Archos in the Archos case that I purchased together with the device.

In they web site they specify that they are not accepted any RMS's from any countries except from the USA then they Warranty getting even more miracle.

Customer support looks to me kind of strange as well because during a week they could not send me by E-mail the information where I have to send my device for repair and I waited for an hour and a half to get this information from ARCHOS representative by phone.

For this device I paid 250 + 30 for case + taxes (around 316 CAN) and I used it for 1 month and a half, after they asked me to pay extra 150 for screen repair. I think I will never buy one from ARCHOS again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-28-2009, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How many thousands of forums are you going to post this exact same diatribe to?
Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page