Office headphones - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

At work we just moved to a new location where everyone is sitting a lot closer to each other.
So many people around me are talking to each other and over the phone.

I'd like to buy a headphone to attach to my laptop and listen my mp3s or internet radio, so I can concertrate a little better (I think those "big" headphones are better for this than in-ear headphones, right?)

As you know laptops have mega crappy D/A convertors, so it makes no sense at all to buy a super good expensive headphone.

So can anyone of you give me some advice on what type of headphone to buy (in-ear, closed, open, whatever... please also explain what is what, cause i only know what those in-ear thingies are actually)
And if you have a nice tip (brand, modelnr) for a nice, cheap, good price / quality headphone, I would be very pleased to hear it

edit:
oh yes, if you want to suggest in-ear headphones, then please keep in mind that my ears are not very "standard". Normal, old fashion, el-cheapo earplugs just fall out of my ears since they don't fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 PM

Look at headfi.org for suggestions. If you want inexpensive "standard" headphones, most people recommend Sennheiser px100s for $45, or Koss Portopros for $35 . I have the Portapros, coupled with a Sansa Clip mp3 player (about $40). They sound fantastic.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:10 PM

I just recommended the same product to someone else here, but I think it would work good for you. I use the JLab J2's at the office. Right now they are on sale for $13.99 on Amazon. You really can't beat that price.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta View Post

Hi all,

At work we just moved to a new location where everyone is sitting a lot closer to each other.
So many people around me are talking to each other and over the phone.

I'd like to buy a headphone to attach to my laptop and listen my mp3s or internet radio, so I can concertrate a little better (I think those "big" headphones are better for this than in-ear headphones, right?)

As you know laptops have mega crappy D/A convertors, so it makes no sense at all to buy a super good expensive headphone.

So can anyone of you give me some advice on what type of headphone to buy (in-ear, closed, open, whatever... please also explain what is what, cause i only know what those in-ear thingies are actually)
And if you have a nice tip (brand, modelnr) for a nice, cheap, good price / quality headphone, I would be very pleased to hear it

edit:
oh yes, if you want to suggest in-ear headphones, then please keep in mind that my ears are not very "standard". Normal, old fashion, el-cheapo earplugs just fall out of my ears since they don't fit.

I like Shure line. Klipsch IEMs received decent reviews too.

There are ways to improve sound of your laptop, but requires some investment.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 AM

If it helps you concentrate better then use headphones (better than office noise I think). I like using bluetooth so I don't get tangled in wires.

Headphones For Work
Old 01-25-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
PX-100's and they are light and very comfortable.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Sennheiser HD 280. They block out a lot of ambient sound, so even with very low music, you will not notice much around you. I find them comfortable, and quality is very good. Look for a sale.