Do you need/want an Apple iPad? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 03-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You know, I don't read books much, but reading a book on an electric reader is just not the same as a book in hand. I think it's cool for trips and sitting on the coffee table to check your email and cruise the net form the couch, but honestly don't see any other use for it. I also feel it's way over priced, if it were like 200-250 buck for a 16GB I would have one, but not for 600 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 03-14-2010, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

I agree about such a device being less expensive. Such a coffee-table device also needs user accounts, as anyone in a house should be able to pick one up to check THEIR email. If they were $199 or less I could see picking up 2 or three. Leave one in the bedroom, one on the coffee table, and maybe one in the workshop. I'd steal the whispersync concept from Amazon to keep anything changed in a user account the same on all three devices. That way your apps, screens, iBook pages and data would be the same no matter which one you picked up.
post #33 of 53 Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 AM

I just pre-ordered a Wifi-3G one yesterday. I have an iPhone and a 17" MacBook Pro which I travel with. I think that the iPad will allow me to store the laptop in checked baggage while I carry the phone and pad with me, alleviating a lot of space and weight that I need to carry.
I'm in the camp that this is going to be a good content aggregate/consumer rather than a creator. The make or break is going to be how well iTunes will manage this content.
post #34 of 53 Old 03-20-2010, 06:54 AM

I have pre-ordered one.

It is great for watching hd videos.
post #35 of 53 Old 03-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavismn View Post

You know, I don't read books much, but reading a book on an electric reader is just not the same as a book in hand. I think it's cool for trips and sitting on the coffee table to check your email and cruise the net form the couch, but honestly don't see any other use for it. I also feel it's way over priced, if it were like 200-250 buck for a 16GB I would have one, but not for 600 bucks.

I agree. I do love my gadgets, but when it comes to reading, nothing will ever replace the feel (and even the smell) of a book in hand -- even if you can fit many books on an e-reader, or an i-Pad.

DGK
post #36 of 53 Old 03-20-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemeph View Post

I have pre-ordered one. It is great for watching hd videos.

You might want to reserve judgement until you have yours. HD video by definition is (at least) 1280 x 720. Full HD is 1980 x 1024 and the files are huge. The iPad's screen is 1024 x 768. Most movies are 16 by 9 or wider. The iPad's screen is 4 by 3. Although I don't doubt movies can look good on the screen, your hopes of a HD experience may be undelivered. I recommend getting SD 4:3 resolution versions of any movies you want to put on the iPad, as they'll fit perfectly.
post #37 of 53 Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalAlien View Post

It is just a big ipod touch right? It even has the same memory capacity? How is that going to work with the HD video? What it will hold one or two HD videos?

I upload HD video to youtube all the time and 64 gig would only hold the shortest vids. Maybe only a 3-6 minutes. EDIT: movies, not minutes.

Using the compression that iTunes uses for HD, about 16 movies would fit in 64 gigs.
post #38 of 53 Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoast02 View Post

What do you mean by "resistance touchscreen"?

it sends you thought waves to discourage you from touching it
post #39 of 53 Old 04-11-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Will probably be looking at an iPod Touch instead of the iPad myself. If I wanted a larger screen, I'd probably be looking at a real netbook. After all, all the iPad is, is just an overgrown iPod Touch, there's nothing that sets the two apart, that I can tell, other than the screen size.

Also, for that same price tag, I saw that Amazon was selling a nice 10.1" Lenovo IdeaPad with 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, and it's a tablet netbook, which, imo, may even do better than an iPad.
However, given the choice of an Apple products, if I want something that will do apps and MP3s, may as well go with the iPod Touch 3rd Gen, and have no regrets.

For the same price as an entry-level 16GB iPad, you could have a 64GB iPod Touch, and have a good speaker dock system on top of that.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #40 of 53 Old 04-11-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

The iPad is a limbo device IMO, caught in a gravity well between two parallel worlds of practicality. Too big to be easily portable, handheld, or used without setting down. Too under-featured to do any efficient content creation. I'll bet money today that there will be a second gen with OS-X printer driver support, a lower price for the memory you get, an ingenious built-in kickstand strategy that works in both orientations, and maybe even wireless syncing and network shared folder access.
post #41 of 53 Old 04-11-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I played with my good friends yesterday, as a matter of fact. By the end of the night the novelty wore off and I was content with my Droid in its place. YMMV. However, starting his car with it was neat, but he also did it with his iPhone later, which made it less neat.

Now if I could use it as a remote for home automation...

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #42 of 53 Old 04-11-2010, 06:12 PM

I bought a 16GB model today and downloaded AirVideo which makes this a pretty awesome portable media player along with Netflix. I can stream almost any video format locally or over the Internet (even codecs not supported by Apple.) No more converting videos or syncing up to iTunes unless i want to watch it offline.

I've had an iPhone and/or a Touch for 2+ years and IMO you can't compare them to the iPad. And don't get me started on netbooks.
post #43 of 53 Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Been looking for a 7" tablet for a e-book reader person and the Kindle Fire seems to be a good choice. I also does the web, video, music, apps and email.
post #44 of 53 Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post

Nope, and I smell bust for iPad. Apple came late to the tablet game and didn't bring anything innovative to show for it. I'm still more impressed with my Touch.

LOL. I wonder how this guy's career as a financial analyst turned out?
post #45 of 53 Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I played with my good friends yesterday, as a matter of fact. By the end of the night the novelty wore off and I was content with my Droid in its place. YMMV. However, starting his car with it was neat, but he also did it with his iPhone later, which made it less neat.

Now if I could use it as a remote for home automation...

They are offering a lot of apps for automation and i feel it will get even better.
post #46 of 53 Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 AM

I have iPod and iPad and I like to use them both They complement each other
post #47 of 53 Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have an iPad3 and an Apple TV 2 or 3 you can mirror the pad to your TV wirelessly its actually pretty neat.
post #48 of 53 Old 04-27-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

If you have an iPad3 and an Apple TV 2 or 3 you can mirror the pad to your TV wirelessly its actually pretty neat.

Add a app called Crackle to the mix and it is even neater.
post #49 of 53 Old 04-27-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post

Nope, and I smell bust for iPad. Apple came late to the tablet game and didn't bring anything innovative to show for it. I'm still more impressed with my Touch.

Am coming to this thread late, but have we not learned anything from iPhone? Just three years ago, a friend who carried both a blackberry and an iPhone told the the BB was a SERIOUS phone and the iPhone was just for fun. Then I tend to agree with him. Where are the two companies are now?

Do we continuously underestimate the force that's Apple? If u bought Apple stock back on 2010... wuff.
post #50 of 53 Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

My current Sony laptop is dying. I rather buy another laptop, but all current laptop LOOKS sucks big time to me. I can't explain it, but they are just aesthetically unpleasing, I don't care if they go 0-60 in 2 seconds, they are UGLY.

So currently am looking to buy a Macbook of some sort or, an iPad with a BT kbd.
post #51 of 53 Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

My current Sony laptop is dying. I rather buy another laptop, but all current laptop LOOKS sucks big time to me. I can't explain it, but they are just aesthetically unpleasing, I don't care if they go 0-60 in 2 seconds, they are UGLY.

So currently am looking to buy a Macbook of some sort or, an iPad with a BT kbd.

I have an iPad and an iPhone and while they are great for what they do keep in mind they are both a supplement to a computer not a replacement which is exactly what Job's stated as is the situation with all phones and pads.
post #52 of 53 Old 04-28-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I have an iPad and an iPhone and while they are great for what they do keep in mind they are both a supplement to a computer not a replacement which is exactly what Job's stated as is the situation with all phones and pads.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a tower file server which also doubles as my batch processing machine, so any job that takes a long time, horsepower to do I give the task to this box. So basically I will be just replacing my laptop, which is mainly for surfing honestly with an iPad, some light word processing, light photoshop, that's about it. U think it would work?
post #53 of 53 Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a tower file server which also doubles as my batch processing machine, so any job that takes a long time, horsepower to do I give the task to this box. So basically I will be just replacing my laptop, which is mainly for surfing honestly with an iPad, some light word processing, light photoshop, that's about it. U think it would work?

I use mine for surfing, email and apps so I really can't answer about word processing but friends of mine say the iWorks package works well.
As for photos I use the iPhoto app on my MBP and just port it over but have been contemplating getting the app for the pad.
For portability,speed and convenience they are hard to beat.
Reply Portable A/V

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page