Do you need/want an Apple iPad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The thread title says it all. Apple has a new product. It's for the consumer what Apple thinks the netbook "should" have been.

I won't be buying one. I already have an iPod Touch. I've got the larger Archos 5 Internet Tablet running Android. I also have the Archos 9 tablet running Windows 7. None of these found a place in my daily routine. My life wouldn't break down if you took these away from me. There is no lasting addictive quality to them. Yet.

Apple thinks there is a market for the iPad. Do you see yourself wanting/owning/using one?

Discuss.

4D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 08:21 PM

I have no idea what I would do with that thing. Will not be buying one.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:51 PM

I have a Macbook Pro and an iPhone. I don't see the need or what gap it would fill for me. I've been Jonesing for a Kindle and I don't really think the Pad quite measures up without e-ink. Maybe if it had wings?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM

Liked: 11
Too small for me. I'm waiting for the MAXiPad...
Old 01-31-2010, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

The name is certainly questionable. Good or bad though it has legs for the media. Half this thread wouldn't exist if the name wasn't worth making fun of.

I'm seeing all sorts of reasons for not buying one. It's too expensive. It's too big. It's too small. It doesn't do enough. It does too much. It doesn't support Flash. It might eventually support Flash. I'm beginning to believe no one will know until they have one to play with for a month.

Things I like about it:
Instant on. My Archos 9 tablet takes 2 minutes.
Efficient UI: Tap on an icon. Swipe to find more. On a Windows tablet every app can be placed as an icon on the home screen. There is only one home screen though. Default takes a double tap to run.
1.5 lbs. Even my Archos is heavier at 1.75 lbs. Any netbook will push 3 lbs or more.
Excellent screen.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope, and I smell bust for iPad. Apple came late to the tablet game and didn't bring anything innovative to show for it. I'm still more impressed with my Touch.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I think I will be getting one for the wife.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesickstan View Post

Too small for me. I'm waiting for the MAXiPad...

Well said, i really don't see the feminine product/iPad jokes getting old anytime soon....
Old 02-01-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaert View Post

I have a Macbook Pro and an iPhone. I don't see the need or what gap it would fill for me. I've been Jonesing for a Kindle and I don't really think the Pad quite measures up without e-ink. Maybe if it had wings?

LOVE my kindle for the e-ink. Reading off an LCD screen for >20min gives me a headache which never happens with kindle. Can't imagine ever using this for iBook or whatever it's going to be called.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting one. The size and shape work right for my couch web surfing while I watch TV etc. I really like my iPhone and for what I want, it will do well. Plus it adds another Sonos controller in the house which is always nice.

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

I'm getting one. The size and shape work right for my couch web surfing while I watch TV etc. I really like my iPhone and for what I want, it will do well. Plus it adds another Sonos controller in the house which is always nice.

That sounds like a great use for it. Will make quite the Sonos remote.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:39 AM

I definitely want one.
- Reading (books, magazines and newspapers) I already read all of these on the iphone and or my Kindle. The only thing I prefer about the Kindle is the 2 wk battery life
- math/HW apps for the kids.

When traveling
- games and portable DVD videos for the kids
- portable TV (tv.com, slingplayer and hopefully Hulu at some point)

When the price drops I will get one for my mother. She has a hard time manipulating a mouse but can certainly manage touch based computing. This is simple enough for her to use email, weather, photos, news etc.

My friends who have long daily train commutes want it for reading financial research. They are graphic intensive PDFs so this device will be better for it than a Kindle.

Rummy
Pioneer 50in Kuro 1080
Onkyo 605
Sony VAIO XL201
Old 02-03-2010, 05:25 PM

It is just a big ipod touch right? It even has the same memory capacity? How is that going to work with the HD video? What it will hold one or two HD videos?

I upload HD video to youtube all the time and 64 gig would only hold the shortest vids. Maybe only a 3-6 minutes. EDIT: movies, not minutes.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalAlien View Post

It is just a big ipod touch right? It even has the same memory capacity? How is that going to work with the HD video? What it will hold one or two HD videos?

I upload HD video to youtube all the time and 64 gig would only hold the shortest vids. Maybe only a 3-6 minutes.

I wondered that as well. They say the same thing about the Zune HD that it can output 720p through it's dock's HDMI port. Exactly how is that going to work?!? I take HD video as well and those files are absolutely massive. Can't imagine you could fit more than one movie on that thing.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:03 PM

Yea I made a typo. I didn't mean 3-6 minutes I ment 3-6 movies... LOL

Highly compressed movies. I guess it will find a use, but I don't think playing HD movies is going to work.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I will be getting one. I bought my wife a netbook a while ago and have wanted something to browse on around the house and use to chat and screw around online. Once I got my phone though, (droid) i realized i really wanted a touchsreen device. I use my phone for alot of casual surfing around the house. To basically have that with a bigger screen will work out well for me.

I know its not replacing my home PC, I dont need or want it too. But for what i plan to use it for, it seems ideal. The price is right - I will be getting the $500 version.

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
Old 02-05-2010, 07:36 AM

Looked through the Archos website. they have some great new devices. As a non Mac person, if I needed an iPad like device, this seems like a great one...

http://www.archos.com/products/nb/ar...try=us&lang=en

Seems it would be a lot more versatile if you don't have an all Mac network at home with windows 7 installed.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoast02 View Post

Looked through the Archos website. they have some great new devices. As a non Mac person, if I needed an iPad like device, this seems like a great one...

http://www.archos.com/products/nb/ar...try=us&lang=en

Seems it would be a lot more versatile if you don't have an all Mac network at home with windows 7 installed.

I like this one, though the battery life isn't quite as good (?). Still it's an interesting alternative.

DGK
Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

I've been thinking on and off that I might want one. On the other hand I'm not sure if I'd be better off just getting a Kindle or Nook for reading stuff, and a netbook for the other stuff (web surfing, watching videos, and music while on the go). Plus the cost of the thing is a big negative for me...though I'd probably not need the one with the 3G (cell phone service where I'm at is pretty lousy).

I dunno. I can't afford to get anything at this moment, so will be waiting anyway before I decide...maybe by the time I can buy one, there will be more info out there from people who have bought one. Or maybe the price will have gone down...?

I'm a non-Mac person at the moment, so not sure how it will fit in with what I've already got. I don't have (nor do I need) an iTouch or any other fancy cell phone, so....

DGK
Old 02-05-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Dthinker View Post

The thread title says it all. Apple has a new product. It's for the consumer what Apple thinks the netbook "should" have been.

I won't be buying one. I already have an iPod Touch. I've got the larger Archos 5 Internet Tablet running Android. I also have the Archos 9 tablet running Windows 7. None of these found a place in my daily routine. My life wouldn't break down if you took these away from me. There is no lasting addictive quality to them. Yet.

Apple thinks there is a market for the iPad. Do you see yourself wanting/owning/using one?

Discuss.

4D

I also have a touch and the Archos Tablet, where the Pad differs is that it's more of a curl up pn the couch and browse device, almost like a coffee table book for the internet, I think reading Digital comics on it would be alot better than on the touch with it's small screen, or the archos with its resistance touchscreen
Old 02-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Don't really know. My first thought is I'd rather buy a new Macbook but then the prices don't really match up. I did see this new netbook/tablet coming out by Lenovo that would seem to offer a lot more than the iPad. I will hold judgment until they come out, if I do buy it won't be until version 2.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I will probably explore using one of these at work for conducting listening tests, as a listener user input device. We're currently using PDA's with screens that are too small.

For personal use, I might consider one as an e-reader, and writing my own programs - if I can find time to learn how. But since I already own a MBP, several iMac's, Blackberry, Apple TV, and iTouch, purchasing an Ipad is definitely a luxury purchase. Rationalizing the purchase to myself, let alone my wife, would be a challenge.

Cheers,
Sean Olive
My Audio Blog
Old 02-09-2010, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

I also have a touch and the Archos Tablet, where the Pad differs is that it's more of a curl up pn the couch and browse device, almost like a coffee table book for the internet, I think reading Digital comics on it would be alot better than on the touch with it's small screen, or the archos with its resistance touchscreen

What do you mean by "resistance touchscreen"?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

All good points so far.

I've got that Archos 9 tablet. A few things that need to be improved on it:

- It uses a slow 60gb Hard Drive. Replacing mine with a (very expensive) 128gb SSD helped.
- It comes with Windows 7 Starter edition. You'll need at least Home Premium to get full tablet functionality.
- It take up to 2 minutes to boot up.
- The included kickstand is nice, but fragile. Mine has come off already.
- It runs Windows 7, an OS that didn't start out as a touchscreen OS. Many things that are easy to click on with a mouse cursor are too small to tap on with a finger. A stylus is included though.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Apple has messed up a few times in the past with products its put out. Anyone ever hear of the Apple Cube for example? I don't think the iPad will fail immediately, but I don't see it being anything more than a Dog (to use BCG terminology) of a business line for Apple.

Got Something to Watch? www.dropcam.com
Old 02-19-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I can't wait for it.

I thought it would be useless, but seeing how the iPod touch (And then iPhone) absolutely and fundamentally changed the way I use the internet (often selecting just my iPhone instead of my laptop, and going on trips and leaving the laptop at home) it is a fundamentally 'Good Thing'.

I will probably sell my laptop and purchase a desktop computer again. Don't need portable computing anymore - the iPad / iPhone / iPod touch *IS* portable computing - for 90% of what I do with my laptop, at least.

I am seriously stoked about it.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
Old 02-20-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post

I can't wait for it.

I thought it would be useless, but seeing how the iPod touch (And then iPhone) absolutely and fundamentally changed the way I use the internet (often selecting just my iPhone instead of my laptop, and going on trips and leaving the laptop at home) it is a fundamentally 'Good Thing'.

I will probably sell my laptop and purchase a desktop computer again. Don't need portable computing anymore - the iPad / iPhone / iPod touch *IS* portable computing - for 90% of what I do with my laptop, at least.

I am seriously stoked about it.

True, if all you do with your laptop is search the internet. The problem seems to be that as a fully functioning laptop it is not good. It won't run microsoft office or be nearly as versatile as a fully functioning laptop or even a netbook.

Seems to me it's best used as a coffee table internet browser or a big media player, maybe for those who watch lots of movies.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Only time will reveal how well they sell. One thing's for sure though, and that is that Steve Job's description during the reveal was all hype and little fact. It'll take much more than what is currently revealed about the iPad to make it into a device that is better than both the smartphone and the netbook. As "bad" as my netbook may be it can still play any music/video/photo format I put on it. It can have more than one user account so family members can share it. It knows how to print to my printers. It's web browser shows me the whole web, not just the Web - Flash. My Archos 9 does the same, and is a decent touchbook. As for apps, there are far more Windows apps available than there are iPad/iPhone apps. Nothing they have so far demonstrated doing on an iPad can't be done on a Win-based tablet.

And if I ever want to get real work done I can stand my Archos 9 up on it's own stand, plug in the port extender, plug in a DVD-RW drive, plug in a keyboard and mouse, etc.. Even without the port extender bluetooth keyboards and mice can be used. It'll can access and play any content living in a shared folder somewhere else on my home network.

Apple is betting the consumer wants something bigger than an iPod touch but only a little more capable. I'll bet consumers will expect far more for that $500+.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoast02 View Post

True, if all you do with your laptop is search the internet. The problem seems to be that as a fully functioning laptop it is not good. It won't run microsoft office or be nearly as versatile as a fully functioning laptop or even a netbook.

Seems to me it's best used as a coffee table internet browser or a big media player, maybe for those who watch lots of movies.

It will run iWork which can edit Microsoft Office files.

This thing will be more 'productive' than most people give it credit for, and I base that on how productive I've been able to make an iPod Touch or an iPhone.

Sure, it's a netbook / baby laptop, it's different. It is far more focused on consuming than creating content.

It has tradeoffs that, for me, are perfect.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
Old 03-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Akm3, very well stated. Though Apple is trying to create a use-case as a machine to "create," it will ultimately only be used as a machine to "consume." Akm3 articulated it right. Apple's iWork suite for the iPad is total crap and doesn't come off as easily usable at all. The reality is, folks that actually buy an iPad are only buying a portable, large iPod and they really only see it as such. The machine suits them, yet for the rest of us,*a larger iPod is not the functionality we need from a tablet PC.

We'll see if this product does succeed and grows into a cash cow for Apple, or if it just dogs out and joins the ranks as just another Apple mistake.

Got Something to Watch? www.dropcam.com