Wireless cam with firewire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2010, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm looking for a small camera (webcam, lipstick or other color cam.) that is wireless (both output and power) where the receiver can connect through firewire. Also it should have audio.
I've seen some webcams that does that but connect via USB. Is there something similar that uses firewire.

What I am trying to do is to have a small headmounted camera and be able to stream everything straight onto the pc. It's a bit like the facecams they used on avatar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXX_yaDVLk8

Any idears?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 06:20 PM

You'll need power at least. Many cameras can work with a 9v battery, 12v car battery, or a few AA/AAAs. Wireless transmission isn't hard to find, but a receiver with firewire output may be non-existant.

Supercircuits.com is one place to check.
x10.com is another. I'll apologize right now for their web site though.
Google is your friend. Do a search for "wireless lipstick camera" and you'll find a few more.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

so, would something like this work

wireless Camera, receiver and battery pack

BVGM-900

then send the signal from the receiver to this thing here

Canopus ADVC-100

and out through firewire to the PC.

Would that be able to stream video to the pc?
Old 02-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Just to clarify, why exactly do you want a wireless camera that will connect to a receiver with Firewire? You might be imagining a set up where the camera is located in a remote location and you have some receiver hooked into a router, but where does the Firewire come into play?

Also, cameras that operate on batteries are convenient, but once the power starts running out, your video quality starts to fall, the stream grows choppy, and/or video stops streaming entirely with or without you realizing. Unless you have very specific needs, I would always suggest going with a wired connection to at least power the camera. Wireless cameras (when they're good, can stream around 30 fps fairly constantly if that's your concern. An example being: Sample Streams.

Would you mind posting back with reasons for your specifications please? Thanks!

Got Something to Watch? www.dropcam.com
Old 02-22-2010, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

The reason why i need to use fire wire is because the software i am using will only connect to the camera through that.
I need to stream the video so that the software can sync the video with some other footage we are doing at the same time.

About the batteries, I could have more of them and switch when needed.
Using cable for power is going to difficult as the person using the camera must be able to move around a lot.
My backup solution is to simply use a normal helmet cam with recorder, but then i will have to sync the footage afterwards.

I hope this answers everything.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Alright I see. Well I hate to have to say I can't help you, but it looks like your needs are a little out of my expertise. Hopefully someone else can help. Another forum to consider asking this question in would be: DIY Security Forum.

Best of luck.

Got Something to Watch? www.dropcam.com
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 AM

Does anyone have experience with dropcam or similar cloud based security webcam systems?

I would like something simple for the home but also portable to another site (ie daycare or similar).

Thanks