Looking For Cheap Portable Video Player For a Kid - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am looking for a cheap portable video player for my neice. I don't need it to play music, or use apps, or anything else. Just need it to play videos and have speakers to hear them. A/V output jacks would be nice, but not really needed. Car charger/AC charger would be needed.

As far as file types I have CloneDVDMobile so as long as I can use it to create a file from a DVD that would work I will be happy.

Right now she uses either my dad's iphone, or a protable DVD player. The DVD player is a hassle messing with discs etc, and I'm worried she will lose or break my dad's iphone. I'm hoping to find something like the ipod touch, with about 8GB of storage so I can put a bunch of movies on it and don't have to worry about discs. I'd also like to keep it pretty cheap (around $50, 100max) so it isn't a huge deal if she ends up losing or breaking it.

I've looked at the V-touch and a couple others but they don't get very good reviews. Hoping someone here might have some suggestions.

Something like the Kid Tough DVD player, but using MP4s instead would be great. Fisher Price should get on top of making one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This one is the best I could find for you (her). It doesn't have built-in speakers, but does have an FM transmitter to play over your car's radio. Supports several formats, and there is a cheaper 8gb version too.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-22-2010, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I had looked at that one but the reviews didn't sound all that promising. Also, no speaker kind of knocks it out because she is too little for headphones (2 years old).

My parents were going to buy her an 8GB ipod touch for her birthday but I talked them out of it. I feel that it is overkill as she won't be playing games, surfing the internet, or any of that stuff on it. It's also pretty expensive if she drops it or loses it.

I can't believe nobody makes a simple low cost MP4 player that does nothing but play movies (and maybe music). I would think it would kill off the portable DVD player competition pretty quickly.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You may want to check with the "ANYTHING BUT IPOD" forum for some suggestions. Those guys (and gals) are very knowledgeable with many different brands of portable A/V gadgets.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-24-2010, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used Coby-TF-DVD7377 (check Amazon) for my child and it plays DVDs pretty well (with a few skips here and there) as well as divx files from SD card or thumb drives. I've bought it about 6-9 months ago for slightly less than $100. It seems like the stock at Amazon is out or this product has been discontinued. I've been looking for a second player for the other car and unfortunately, portable dvd players accepting SD cards or usb sticks are hard to come by.

I also saw at Target B&M last week an 8" or 10" TV that accepts SD card or the usb stick. It was slightly over your max price at about $120 or $130 though.
Reply Portable A/V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page